All parent member reviews for Blood Diamond

Adult Written bywonder dove March 24, 2013

Powerful & Haunting.

I saw this film around when it first came out and let me tell you, it was the most terrifying thing I had ever experienced. Heart thumping, eyes wide open. So I bought the DVD as soon as it came out. It reminded me of those true stories told on Oprah years and years ago about real people from Africa talking about their daily lives living in fear...well this movie shows why. It is so heart wrenching, I can't even explain. It is also extremely sad because it involves a smart young African boy who's set on becoming a doctor but after a massive massacre...they take him and turn him into one of them, training him to kill whoever he comes into contact with. His father Solomon never gives up to find his son. It is almost painful to watch but too amazing to miss. It will stay with you for a long time! Language is very strong even used by young child soldiers. Violence is extreme and downright scary with frequent graphic and very violent shootings, injuries, people running and screaming for their lives, body parts chopped off, dead bodies everywhere, crying children...etc the list goes on. Sexual content isn't bad, has flirting. A child prostitute offers business with the main character but fails. One scene uses the "f" word in a sexual way and another being screw*d. Lots and lots of constant smoking mainly by the main character (Leo). Children are drugged and they also smoke. This film is an absolute must see, there's so much to learn here. But not for the light hearted! It will blow you away. Leonardo DiCaprio is simply incredible. Have some tissue near by because you will need it. Okay for mature 16+.
Adult Written byTallica_2008 April 9, 2008

My 2nd Favorite Dicaprio movie

Leonardo Dicaprio is defiantly my favorite actor because he can play anything, and because he's just a damn good actor. This movie depicts very violent scenes of people being murdered by children, and a graphic scene of an arm being hacked off. I give this movie 5 stars with hesitation. Watch this movie now!
Parent Written byDiana VF July 20, 2011

Know your children - a movie to learn from

Lots of violence, gore and bad language. I like this movie very much for displaying war and greed as it does. Knowing my kids, I let them watch it and explained things, events and actions as they were portrayed. I do not regret my boys wathing the movie - among other things, it helps them realise how lucky they are and what wars and greed can do to humans.
Adult Written bypumasunam.1121 April 9, 2008

i was amazed how everything was act.

well, the movie is pretty good. but, we should not let kids that are not mature enough t to see it.
Adult Written byJRitter14 May 31, 2016

A great teaching tool to properly aged viewers

While this movie is extremely violent and has a lot of scenes that are inappropriate for children, it is a just depiction because the director is portraying a terrible and violent situation that exists in the world. The violence and inappropriateness is used to allow the viewer to truly see tragic condition of people involved in conflict diamonds, and thus is a good teaching tool into such subjects. Although the movie does not portray the dignity of the human person, its depiction are truth filled and properly balanced in order to give the viewer a look into the subject. Despite the inappropriate depictions the movie is still inspiring people to properly discern diamond purchases, which in my opinion makes the movie a great teaching tool for parents.
Adult Written bykatielynn08 November 23, 2010

Opens eyes to child soldiering; graphically violent

This film does a great job of bringing to light the reality that the consumer choices of citizens in powerful nations have a direct impact on the daily lives of people in less powerful countries. A great message of global justice. It also brings to light the reality of child soldiering, albeit in a very graphic way. I know several older teens who have watched and loved this film for its power in bringing to light the above-mentioned issues. However, viewers need to be advised that the violence is very graphic, and language issues are pervavise. Watch with caution.
Adult Written byGinger Locks April 27, 2010

Great movie

This movie might make you think twice before you buy that beautiful, sparkly diamond ring. I truly enjoyed watching this movie, the action is fast paced but a little violent for young kids/pre-teens. Go and rent this, you'll learn a lot about what happens when you buy a diamond, and where the money goes.
Adult Written bydudeman123 April 9, 2008

The Best of 2006

I love these kind of movies with shocking and strong messages and this is one of them. First off I am very disappointed with the two stars and poor review commonsense gave this movie because it is a great movie. This voilence is shocking and intense but its all real and the voilence gets the movies point across that much better. GREAT MOVIE, 15 and up
Parent of an infant year old Written bysarahs mom April 9, 2008
Adult Written byJacob15 April 9, 2008

Oscar Worthy Indeed

‘I am...the cameraman’. A funny quote from this action/thriller/drama flick. This movie really just came out of nowhere for me, it just came and hit me straight in the face, I’m not a Leonardo Dicaprio fan so this movie didn’t interest me very much, I didn’t care for it. Edward Zwick is a great director, he directed The Last Samurai which I loved, so why didn’t I want to see this movie? That’s a question I keep asking myself, but finally I ended up going(cause I was forced too) and I loved every minute of it, I couldn’t believe how amazing Leonardo DiCaprio’s acting was, it was probably his best work ever and definitely Oscar worthy, same goes with Djimon Hounsou’s acting, freaking amazing. Jennifer Connelly was so-so. This movie even had a lot more action then I’d expected, it was action packed but also was very violent and very bloody, kids with guns isn’t a pretty site to behold. The movie is a little long, over 2 hours, but the director did a good job at keeping the pace. The music was great, the action was awesome, the acting was amazing. The story was ok, it was interesting to see that every character had there own reasons to do what they wanted to do, ex: Solomon wants his family, Danny wants a diamond and Maddy wants a story. The movie starts off with Solomon and his child Dia going to school and back, but when they come back they see there little village being massacred and destroyed by rebels. Solomon tells his child to run, Solomon takes a machete and cuts a hole threw the back of his (straw) house and get’s his wife and other child out, but a rebel see’s him and several rebels chases Solomon then put him down on the ground, Solomon tells his family to run. The rebels make a speech and then cut some kids arm off, then there ready to do the same to Solomon, but the rebel leader decides to spare him and take him as a prisoner and use him as a worker, then the movie continues on from there. The movie feels pretty realistic, lot’s of blood flying everywhere ect... But its definitely one of those Oscar worthy flicks which is worth watching
Adult Written bymathu April 9, 2008

great movie, but slow

this movie was highly entertaining, but started to drag in the middle. the violence and language was not as bad as some films but still much worse than a PG-13. leo did very well and so did everybody else, they deserved award nominations.
Adult Written byRachel D April 9, 2008

moving and emotional

I thought this was a well done story that did NOT glory in violence but told it like it is. The acting was excellent and emotionally moving. Sometimes hard to watch but definitely good overall.
Adult Written bybkman2007 April 9, 2008

100% Awesome!

This movie opened my eyes to a part of the world I know little about. An R rating is appropriate. Leonardo D'caprio, was incredible in this movie. He has, no doubt, become one of the finest actors in film today. I am usually not moved, emotionally, by a picture. I would say that the opposite is true in this case. A MUST SEE FILM!
Adult Written byPollyRoger April 9, 2008