All parent member reviews for Chicago

Adult Written byMovieMan101 April 9, 2008

CHICAGO- And all that jazz!!!

I absolutley loved CHICAGO, it is a great movie. Definitely buy it: Sex: 6 1/2- One semi explicit sex scene and some sexually related dialogue is present but thrown away and forgotten about by music and dancing. Nudity: 5- We see parts of a man's buttocks and many, many scantily clad women. Violence: 7- The movie is centered around violence and some shootings. Also dialogue and references to murders are present. Language: 4- Mild language. And like I said in the 'Sex' column, sexually related dialogue. Drug Use: 2- Some smoking. Rating: ***** Stars out of ***** Stars
Parent of an infant, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 year old Written bymykidsarebabies April 14, 2015

14+

SWIM IFFY
Adult Written byyarelir December 5, 2014

Chicago

I can't say i enjoyed this movie but I can't say that I hated it. It had many catchy songs that were ironic and humorous. I had never watched this movie so i believed that it would be much the same as The Great Gatsby but it was not, even thought it had people cheating with one another, people trying to become rich fast and both trying to portray how the 1920's were. Roxie tried to be a woman with power but alway ended up going back with someone so they would help her get people's affection. It showed the womens role in the 19020's more differently from Gatsby, (probably since each was shown from different perspectives Chicago from a woman's perspective and Gatsby from a man's perspective) One of the most interesting things of the movies was the songs and how much satire they had in them.
Parent Written bySharkReviewer November 19, 2013

Not for any kid of any age

I am baffled that a website called "Common Sense" would approve Chicago for any kid. It is so rife with deceit, hate, bitterness, crudeness and despair that I think it is an absolute downer for any age and a terrible example of a good musical to present to kids. Yes, it is very well done for what it is, but who wants her daughter to see these images of being a woman? No way.
Adult Written bychristian2011 November 7, 2012

Fantastic 1920's Musical that'll leave everyone dancing.

Chicago is one of the best musical movies that really brings the 1920's styles back to the 21st century. Catharine Zeta Jones and Renee Zellweger bring it all the way to the top with their performances, especially their singing and fabulous dancing. I would rank this musical to "Sound of Music" from 1965, because it has the same likeability factor and a sense of class. Violence isn't a big deal in this movie, except for the part where one woman kills her husband and another one is known for having killed her own sister. Language is infrequent, but there's a few words. and drug use is mostly characters seen smoking cigarettes or drinking some alcohol. (mostly at parties and events). Sexual content may be a issue because most of the musicals have women and men dancing suggestively and sensually with some partial nudity, but no actual nudity is shown in the movie though. This will be a movie ok for children 12 and over.
Educator and Parent of an infant year old Written byFosterFan October 18, 2011

Great, great, great film. Not for kids, though.

Chicago is great. Being my favorite movie aside, this is a rousing, fun and overall very entertaining film. Renée Zellweger gives a career-high performance as the sweet.eyed Roxie, but it's Catherine Zeta-Jones who infuses Chicago with all the sass it needs. Violence, sex, language, smoking and drinking, but it's one hell of a ride.
Adult Written byfranacc April 18, 2011

For a movie musical is quite entertaining

I am the type of person that always thinks the source material is always better than a movie adaptation, and this movie is no exception. Said that, I think that this is one of the finest examples of an adaptation that works perfectly. There is chemistry between the actors, they all know what they're doing and it all works well together. Yes, the move certainly is overly sexual in nature and it someway glorifies selfishness and murder, but it's all in the name of satire and entertainment. Lastly, being from New York and living two blocks from Broadway and 7th, I almost live for the theatre and I have to say that nothing compares to Bebe Newirth singing "All That Jazz" on the stage
Adult Written byMe. January 21, 2011

Perfect for kids over 11

I loved this movie, and I´m a kid, I'm 11! It´s very funny, and I didn´t really watched the sexual parts, so that OK for me. It's one of my favourites musicals. My little sister wrote this.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMangoFlamingo May 8, 2010

love this movie, but not for kids.

EXCELLENT movie, but quite sexual in some parts (and violent) so unfortunately this is a musical which will have to wait for my kids until they are older. Too bad because it's a fabulous movie with amazing dancing, singing & cool story.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bypclady January 21, 2010

Great for older teens. Violence and sexuality a bit heavy for anyone under 16

Great way to scare the teenage girls with the scenes of jail life. Good movie to display to teeneagers that woman criminals aren't any different than male criminal. A criminal is a criminal and murder is murder. Queen Latifah's performance and Richard Geere's dancing were worth the watch alone. Great musical - well done.
Adult Written bywhateverfloats September 14, 2009

Adult Written bymoviemadness May 6, 2009

Chicago is quite the movie. It is filled with excellent, innovative dance numbers, wonderful music, and an original plot. There is also, however, a lot to worry about. Women murderers are encouraged to lie and manipulate to get off scot-free. Bribes, sexual favors, and an every-girl-for-herself attitude abound. Dance numbers are sexy, sexy, sexy (one line goes "when you're stroking mama/mama's stroking you" as the actress pulls a silk scarf between her legs). Two murders and a hanging occur. There is not a good role model in the film! Watch out when seeing with kids younger than 14 or so.
Adult Written byMom_and_Son February 10, 2009

Bad Message, Great Movie

I watched this movie because I love musical theatre. However, in every scene, either someone is smoking, with a gun, or singing in a bar. The message implies that if you want fame, you can kill someone as long as you get away with it. An innocent character dies while a few guilty ones get away. Not good for spring chickens but mature 13 year olds and up, you'll love this one!