Parent reviews for Child's Play (1988)

Child's Play (1988) Poster Image

Good first horror movie

My 8yo girl watched this for the first time last night, spurred on by the fact that Chucky is a prominent bad guy in her Roblox games and she wanted to know his story. Shocker, right? Some icons live forever! She's pretty sensitive, but found Chucky's oldschool movie puppet look to be cheesy and not so scary. We laughed our heads off at the scene where Chucky tries to kill the cop through his car seat and "just keeps poking him in the butt", she says that's one of her favorite parts. Seeing him melted at the end was a little freaky, but not that bad since he looks like an overcooked marshmallow. There was a lot of swearing which made her gasp, but she eventually got over it. She has attachment anxiety and was a little uneasy about the boy being taken from his mother by the police, though didn't get hung up on it for long. The ONLY scene that really scared her was when Chucky electrocutes the doctor, because there's blood coming out of his eyes, that visual was disturbing for her. Other than that though, the violence was very fake and sometimes silly. No sex. She very happily told my eyebrow lady all about it this morning, obviously enjoyed herself!

pretty good

pretty good movie but i cant believe the idea of a 6 year old fighting a adult

100% would watch again

I saw this on HBO. Also my mom's first R-rated movie. No doubt it would get a PG-13 rating today, or even a PG without the swear words. I recommend it to 13+.

Little violent

Pretty violent and has some language.

Great Classic Movie! Surprisingly Funny!

Child's Play is a classic horror movie about a criminal who transfers his soul into a good guys doll when being chased. Despite this movie being rated R it is not that bad and it is only rated R for certain language. Violence 4/5: Chucky uses a voodoo doll to break a man's arm and leg then stabs him in the chest, he is shown lying in a pool of blood dying. People are shot and stabbed and someone falls out of a window to her death. A man is shown electrocuted to his death, his eyes turn red and his skin turns darker. Language 3.5/5: 3 uses of ---k, damn, hell, --s,---t, ---h, slut, and bastard are all used. This movie is a great classic and is not that explicit for a rated r movie. 13+ is a good age to allow your child to watch this movie and 12 is also a good age allow your kid to watch Child's Play but you should probably watch it with them if they're 12.

stupid plot

Bloody vilonce with no plot

Just a little too much for a young horror fan

My 9 year old daughter has been asking to watch this movie for 2 years. She's now a little more mature and was bored by the level of horror in Gremlins and Are You Afraid of the Dark (the new ones). So after reading the reviews I previewed this. I think the reviews are, overall, about right. The end gets pretty scary for a kid that age. She might be able to handle it, but I think she'd have nightmares. But there are a few other scenes that are a little too explicit at her age. As much as she likes horror, she's still quite young and innocent and the language is just a little too intense and the brief attempted rape scene, while it doesn't really show anything, is too clear to just pretend it doesn't exist. It is very brief and not important to the plot, so you can skip it if you are so inclined. A couple more years and we'll probably watch it. Her twin sister... not so much.

Good movie not a lot of vilonce some language chucky does stab people are strangled and shot

It would be 11+ my opinion swearing,stabbing