All parent member reviews for City of Ember

Parent of a 11 year old Written bymom6865 October 29, 2011

Too intense for 10 and under

I wouldn't agree that this movie is for 8 and up. Too intense and scary for 8 year olds. I think it's wrong to expose young kids to such intense content. My son read the book at 11 and watched the movie at 11. Seemed OK for this age. But my son doesn't watch much TV, doesn't see movies that are rated PG-13, isn't allowed to play violent video games, etc. Other kids who do all that at young ages might not find this movie particularly scary, but that still doesn't really make it right for them.
Adult Written byhansens March 30, 2009

Not as Good as the Book!

There is a gigantic monster in the sewer pipes that attacks the kids. This may be a little too scary for kids under 12. It's interesting but it is not very much like the book. Also there is a scene where the little girl is threatened by the mayor which is a little too scary for younger kids.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byTAB74 September 6, 2009

A bit too "dark"

It's a movie geared towards kids 7-11 but my son who is 9 said it was too "dark" for him and he ended up having a nightmare after watching it. This is a child who loves Transformers, but yet this movie didn't work for him.
Adult Written bywmdubow May 4, 2009

Gratuitously scary

My 11-year old son saw this movie in school after reading the book. The kids were generally disappointed in it, as it did not follow the book. My son said, "The mole was really creepy and there wasn't anything like it in the book, and there was no point at all in having it in the movie." It created weeks of fears because of the violent imagery.
Adult Written bychicagobratz February 14, 2009

this movie was the bomb

my mom owns this account and im 11 this movie is my ultamit faveriot movie im in the middle of the book and it is so good so far my mom wants to read it after me thats how good it is the movie has no language or violence or anything it ios great for all ages
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byPheidippides June 24, 2010

It was awesome!

All those people who think it's a bad movie, you're wrong! If I could put 100 stars I would do it. This movie was so great. My brother was afraid to watch it, but I loved it. I liked the mole part where he eats the mayor. (Zachary, age 7)
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bylukestar July 18, 2009

My seven year old had some trouble with the whole premise of the city itself. I think the idea of living underground and running out of power frightened him. The mole was pretty scary too.
Parent of a 2, 3, 4, 11, 11, and 15 year old Written bylover4 June 2, 2009

you need less violence

awsome i'm only 4 and i love it !!!!!
Adult Written bywonder dove March 11, 2009

Loved every bit of it!

I thought it was so great that I had to watch it twice, in the same week! Good action, good graphics, superb acting and nice story. It definitely has it's mystery side! I would recommend kids 10 and up, only because it's a movie that may not appeal to younger ones.