Parent reviews for Clifford the Big Red Dog

Clifford the Big Red Dog Poster Image

I’m honestly no prude but wow. Not appropriate content for a kids movie

* the uncle almost wipes sanitiser down his pants when “preparing” for a job interview, in full view of the view of the office secretary. WTF? * Line to take the dogs temperature - vet says - What rhymes with “nut hole” * angry sheep charges at a guy and he yells “Oh Sheep!” Which of course is supposed to sound like “oh Sh*&” * Really unfortunate portrayals of Russian and Asian characters. * Police made to look incapable * building super wants bribes to get things done like fix a dishwasher, takes a bribe to give the bad guys personal information about a tenant. Like sorry, but for real, the writers really made some huge slip ups. The occasional double entendres that are generally used to keep adults or older kids entertained aren’t supposed to be obvious to 5 year olds. Bad characters. Bad plot. Surprised this made it out of the studio really.
5 people found this helpful.

Good Teaching Tool

As I read the other comments I almost didn't watch the movie. Then I read something about diversity, so I took a chance. As a black teacher who teaches black and brown students this movie was great! The tough topics nobody wants to address and sweep under the rug is the reason we have such division in America. The students loved it and could relate to the bullying and the corporation wanting to USE Clifford in a negative way for their gain was very relatable to myself and students. This is a great movie to teach about what is really going on in this world in a more relatable way for young kids.

5 people found this helpful.
Loved this movie. Bright, funny, vibrant and fast-paced! Great actors who portrayed their characters with finesse. Heart warming story and great special effects. A magical and fun watch!

OKAY FOR KIDS

“I’m Really Grumpy Angry! I Need Cuddles!” - Clifford The Big Red Dog (2021)

Fun and warm-hearted

We really enjoyed this latest incarnation of Clifford, having been big fans of the original Norman Bridwell books and the PBS animated show. Yes, it was weird when Emily’s uncle asked her friend Owen if he had an older sister, but the things the other reviewers complained about were so tiny and quick blips in the movie that I wouldn’t have really even noticed them had I not read these other reviews. I’m strict and careful about what is viewed in our house, but these outraged reviews were over-the-top in my opinion. That they felt this movie was so awful and inappropriate was shocking to me and really quite bizarre. We thoroughly enjoyed this film even if there were a few off-color, odd lines. Those were hugely (pardon the pun) outweighed by the other hour and a half of fun, funny, sweet moments.

1 person found this helpful.

It was an excellent movie

It was an excellent movie The dog wasn’t too scary. if you’re a six-year-old you might need to hold a parents hand during some of the parts.

Fun and harmless

I’m amazed by some of the negative comments here. Some of the descriptions of the content are grossly exaggerated, eg. I cannot think of one instance where violence was threatened by an adult towards a child. The fact that one reviewer had a problem with the idea of Clifford doing an over-sized poo (which you don’t actually see, it’s simply mentioned when one character is considering the pitfalls of having a giant dog) I think says it all… newsflash: kids love poo jokes!! I agree with the original review - it’s sweet, fun and harmless. The PG rating is correct - some parts need explaining to young children - but there was nothing inappropriate here for me, and I found it light hearted and positive. As a family with an 8 & 5 year old we all really enjoyed it (though it is worth bearing in mind it isn’t like the original series, if that’s what you’re expecting)

Not really about Clifford

Seemed sad except for the last 10 minutes. It is not “about” Clifford at all. Could’ve made a pretty cool movie that starred Clifford. Just eh.

Touching and sweet

I get some of the concerns highlighted in these reviews, I really do. However, my family really enjoyed the movie. Some highlights: John Cleese was lovable; the concepts of maturity and belonging; and love of family regardless of differences.

Clifford the Big, Red Dog is Fun For the Whole Family

This is a great family movie! I watched this with my 15, 12, and 8 year old kids, and we all enjoyed it. Clifford is a cute, funny, and whimsical movie. A little silly, and unbelievable, at times, but hey - it's a movie about a giant red dog, so why not? I think this movie is fun for all ages, even adults.