Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Clue

Tedious movie based on board game; some innuendo, violence.

Adult Written byLalibela January 6, 2014

A FAVORITE Movie in Our House of Kids

Wow, I am so surprised by how off I am finding the reviews on this site lately. The worst movies of 2013 was off too. This is a favorite movie in our family. I have let my kids age 6-11 watch it and we are VERY conservative with what we watch. This is Tim Curry at his absolute best, and the supporting characters play it up right alongside him. t is supposed to seem like it takes places in the forties. There is some smoking and drinking, but I've talked to my kids before about how everybody smoked back then because they didn't know it was unhealthy. There is a bit of sexual innuendo which my kids did not get but I found the maid's cleavage the worst of the sexual content. There are plenty of lines in this movie that get repeated over and over in our house. This is right up here for us with Princess Bride. The kids like it has a little mystery and suspense (for them) and it gives them some safe thrills and chills. Personally, I have loved this movie since I first saw it and it has just grown on me. I've probably watched it over 30 times.

Adult Written bykimbal0313 November 26, 2012

For older kids

I was definitely not prepared for the many sexual references (prostitution, homosexuality, adultery, etc.) in this movie. Was not appropriate for my 10 year old for that reason. Would probably be PG13 if it weren't rated under the old rating system.

Parent Written byM D October 15, 2017

Great movie for kids and adults

No idea how they gave it 2 stars, just watched it with my family and everyone loved it. It is even better if you know/play the game, but that isn't at all necessary - my youngest never has and he liked the movie best of all of us, laughed a lot. Vehemently disagree with one of the other parents reviews - there are a number of sexual references, but they go over the heads of younger kids, and one guys outs himself but unless you think his saying "I'm a homosexual and feel no shame about it" crossses some line (the parent seems to think you need to be 13 to hear this) or guys gawking at the maid is over the top, I think a young kid could certainly see this movie though I rated it 10+ because that is where I think they will enjoy it.
Adult Written byfletcher17 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bympmleblanc2 August 25, 2009

Great family movie, but some adult situations/messages

Funny movie (slapstick) and mystery. Some adult situations (drinking, smoking, sexual preference, call girl). Most of it went over my kids heads (ages 8 and 10). But I think you need to know what your kids are watching and be prepared to answer questions. Better for older kids, but a great family movie.

Adult Written byZaranai April 9, 2008

One of my favorites

It's an old movie. Not a flash-a-minute rush by any means, but still really good. The three endings will have you watching it again and again to try and figure out how you missed all the clues and how Tim Curry's slightly neurotic and completely cunning butler could see them. There are a few references to sex that aren't as easily lost in the fast banter as others, and the characters are drinking throughout most of the earlier scenes, but it's not a central theme - it's just sort of there. It is, obviously, a murder mystery so people die but it's handled in an almost comedic way with nothing graphic. Older movies are much more mild than newer ones, and this movie follows that theme well. A real classic!
Adult Written byrickydoo85 April 9, 2008

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U December 27, 2017

So good!

Adult Written byEliteMovieCritic January 31, 2019

Classically 80’s impure, Sexual/skin shown ,perverse vulgar movie

From the very first seen the movie shows its tone and sexually charged dark perverse raunchy ugly character! Obviously there is no Question that this movie is not for children that should be rated R or something like PG 16 at least. The movie is filled with sexual sure if it’s dark disgusting, if anyone is truly conservative they won’t watch this movie let alone have their kids watch this movie the sexual content alone makes it a disgusting vulgar profane, sin and darkness filled, unpleasant film!

Written byAnonymous October 28, 2018

Clue

Clue has some action. Drinks and smoking. Some blood on the dead people and a lot of sexual references throughout the movie