Parent and Kid Reviews on

Coach Carter Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 5 parent reviews

Sort by:

I think is a great movie

Feel good, inspiring movie

I realized I'd seen this once before when we started watching this evening, but it wasn't with my (and through the eyes of) my 12 y/o son. There were some scenes that made us both a little uncomfortable: a high school couple is making out on the bed (heading towards sex, but didn't have time); the seemingly endless grinding on the dance floor, the making out with very few clothes on in the hot tub. There was one gang-type shooting, but that was it as far as violence. The language wasn't too bad, but kind of often (no f-bombs though - just lots of "sh**" and "damn." One scene with drinking. One reference to abortion. We fast forwarded through the sexy scenes and had a talk about our stance on abortion. Very inspiring - "you can do it if you work hard enough" kind of message. Good acting.

Amazing Film

Coach Carter was a brilliant film to me. The actors, the soundtrack, and the plot were all amazing in my eyes. First off, when making a film you need a leader and there are not many leaders like Samuel L. Jackson. He was assigned the job of being a head basketball coach and he used this privilege to teach them the right way to play basketball and to also live life with goals. He put his foot down in an area no one else would attempt to and I commend him for it. Next, we have the soundtrack. This movie takes place in a town filled with gangs, drugs, and poverty. "DMX" is a rapper that came from nothing and is motivational. He was a perfect fit on this soundtrack. His song “Untouchable” featured in Coach Carter fit in considering these players were trying to live above the influence and do something good with their lives. Finally, to even say the plot was good would be an understatement. I say this due to the fact that the plot was difficult to guess. You never knew what was going to happen next and that kept it interesting. Overall this movie made me realize how hard some people have it and not to take anything for granted. Also taught me that it isn't always about what you put into something, but what you take out of it as well.

a little too much sexual references.

There is one scene where the boys go to a party and the teenaged girls strip down to their underwear to go swimming. A great film overall but I would only watch it with 13 and up.

Perfect for older kids but not for tweens and under

Great story, but may be inappropriate for younger children