Parent reviews for Color Out of Space

Excellent, unsettling sci-fi horror based on Lovecraft tale.

Based on 1 review

Wondering if Color Out of Space is OK for your kids?

Parents: Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations.

Join Plus now

Adult Written byschizoidnightmares July 18, 2020

Majestic magenta visuals, but poorly executed adaptation

This is a decent adaptation of the Lovecraftian horror short story.

Unfortunately the film is all over the place in mood, at times being terrifying, and at other times comically absurd, thanks in part to Cage's trademark eccentric performance. At many points in the film, the characters behave excruciatingly irrational, even before the effects of "The Color" take shape. I found myself praying for the quick and swift demise of the characters... Not out of spite, but rather mercy for themselves. It felt like watching someone navigate a room full of upward-facing thumbtacks while blindfolded, except also oblivious to both the blindfold and whatever obvious mysterious danger lies around them...

In general, the film just feels confused about itself... Or maybe for whatever reason it just didn't click with me. It does have very majestic visuals and the special effects is very well done! The use of magenta is a suitably outlandish choice and one that hasn't been done much from my memory as a way to convey an alien threat.

Parent Written byAaron C. April 23, 2020

Bizarre & Fascinating Sci-fi Horror is very disturbing.

This movie is a bizarre, fascinating horror with gorgeous visuals & very disturbing imagery. Not to forget gory violence. But it's terrifying. And that's it's USP. NOT for kids.

Adult Written byDadfarts February 4, 2020

Fantastic, not for kids

Gorgeous trippy visuals that I did not expect, surprisingly good acting, genuine heartbreak and trauma. This is a fantastic “nobody wins” horror movie, but the trauma is not ok for children.