Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 4 parent reviews

Sort by:

Really Gross and Disgusting

Really convincing makeup (GROSS) and effects. Sounds are pretty gross, too. Tell ya' the truth: I haven't finished watching till the end, it's that disgusting and I appreciate good sci-fi/horror. Some may consider this to be good sci-fi/horror. Maybe I'm just getting squeamish in my old age. I'm wondering what all involved were thinking when they made this movie. One thing's for sure: Nick Cage is OVER-THE-TOP, nuclear Nick Cage. LOTS of cursing, too. Crazy movie...Those that enjoy barfing will be encouraged by this film. By the way, having been an avid sci-fi/horror reader as a kid, HP Lovecraft always stood out and movies made of his stories are typically gross and disgusting-leaning as a "body of work". This director is reported to have plans to make at least two more Lovecraft story movies...My barf bag will be within arm's reach...

Majestic magenta visuals, but poorly executed adaptation

This is a decent adaptation of the Lovecraftian horror short story. Unfortunately the film is all over the place in mood, at times being terrifying, and at other times comically absurd, thanks in part to Cage's trademark eccentric performance. At many points in the film, the characters behave excruciatingly irrational, even before the effects of "The Color" take shape. I found myself praying for the quick and swift demise of the characters... Not out of spite, but rather mercy for themselves. It felt like watching someone navigate a room full of upward-facing thumbtacks while blindfolded, except also oblivious to both the blindfold and whatever obvious mysterious danger lies around them... In general, the film just feels confused about itself... Or maybe for whatever reason it just didn't click with me. It does have very majestic visuals and the special effects is very well done! The use of magenta is a suitably outlandish choice and one that hasn't been done much from my memory as a way to convey an alien threat.

Bizarre & Fascinating Sci-fi Horror is very disturbing.

This movie is a bizarre, fascinating horror with gorgeous visuals & very disturbing imagery. Not to forget gory violence. But it's terrifying. And that's it's USP. NOT for kids.

Fantastic, not for kids

Gorgeous trippy visuals that I did not expect, surprisingly good acting, genuine heartbreak and trauma. This is a fantastic “nobody wins” horror movie, but the trauma is not ok for children.