All parent member reviews for Cowboys & Aliens

Parent Written byparent2011 July 29, 2011

Not for kids!

Not for kids. WAY too violent! I know it's "PG 13" but so is Harry Potter and Capt. America; both of which had FAR, FAR less violence than this movie. We had kids age 10 and 8 with us and we actually left the movie an hour in it was so awful. Should be rated an "R".
Parent Written byCivilityServant July 31, 2011

(Warning: possible spoilers) Not "Independence Day on Horseback"

My 9-yr.-old likes action and has an appetite for tough-guy violence (I have to put on the brakes for him), but this was so graphic, I will not let him see it now. The tenor of the film on the whole was rough-edged; not too much tenderness amid the slaughter of and by aliens. Complicated father-son, man-God, "business"-partner, husband-wife, child-guardian relationships. Coercion through violence or deceit is the most common manner of interaction in much of the film. As CS wrote above, there is a lot of drinking and drunkenness. Graphic depiction of guns, spears used to kill, etc, Men have their throats torn open by aliens. A man sees his wife disintegrate. The opening scene mentioned above also included two shots of evidently-fresh human scalp "trophies", presumably Native American. On the positive side, the setting was beautiful (esp. on the Big Screen) and several characters and their relationships were intriguing, as was the concept of aliens visiting an earlier version of Earth. I also appreciated the way the Apache Indians were portrayed with depth and empathy beyond the usual two-dimensional Euro-victim handling, though that is cold comfort knowing what would have happened prior to the time in which the film is set as well as what was to follow. But these aspects of the film are rather for appreciation by adults (or mature teenagers).
Parent Written bydsaboe August 13, 2011

Not for pre-teens

Not only a cowboys style film, but the aliens stab and bite. Many, many aliens are shot, stabbed, and blown up.
Educator and Parent Written byFB66 August 8, 2013

too much violence

It's the usual nonsense movie, but violence is sometimes very disturbing here. As an example: A woman is strapped on a table, awake, and an alien performs surgical experiments on her while her husband is strapped on another table next to her, waiting for his turn. The two look at each other, while devastating surgery is performed (but not shown in details). After having worked on her for a while, the alien finally kills the woman and disintegrates her body--and turns toward the husband. Need to know something else?
Adult Written byCowboys and Aliens September 8, 2011

Cowboys and Aliens

This film was really good. I had read a review before I went and it said that people walked out so I was wondering what I would think about it. It kept me interested all the way through and the acting was excellent. I also felt that they were implying that Ella was an Angel. I
Parent of a 3, 5, and 7 year old Written byGotRustyB August 2, 2011

Good movie

It was a violent movie but if you watched the trailer you'd know to expect that. All in all I thought it was a very good movie. I would say know your kids, my oldest is 7 and I wouldn't even consider taking him but I would say for a teenager it would probably be ok.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byMissKookie July 31, 2011

Great movie but violent!

Wow! It was actually pretty awesome and touching! I liked how they mixed the two genres. At first, I thought it would be weird or awkward, but it actually made a good plot. However, I have to honestly say that this movie is a bit violent in a brutal/gross way. I wouldn't recommend this for children under 13, honestly because it is pretty violent. Nonetheless, a great movie with a great message and storyline!
Parent Written byalovell September 14, 2011

high-action somewhat violent sci-fi western, not bad

This movie is a western, so there are horses, guns, and bottles of whiskey. It is also sci-fi, so there are fast-flying attack aircraft, big creepy aliens and high-tech weapons. In both cases, there is a lot of action, some of it pretty intense, and there is violence a-plenty including gory wounds, so I would not recommend this movie for sensitive viewers or for kids under 13. There are plenty of stereotypes: a hardnosed father, his spoiled ill-behaved son, violent gangs of bandits, and most of all, classic western depiction of the Native Americans. Still, there are positive messages in the characters' relationships with one another, and their commitment to the cause, to working together, and developing trust. I don't think it will win awards, but we did enjoy watching it with our teen and talking about it afterwards.
Parent Written byMarkus Summers August 4, 2011

Times are changing, kids these days can actually take this

You people are unbelievable. It's a PG-13 movie. If I see any more "ooh, I took my 8 and 10-year-old to see this mature, PG-13 movie and it was very violent,"garbage, I'm going to rip my hair out. Not only is it both irresponsible and downright ignorant to take preteens to a PG-13 action movie, but how you people post that its terrible and worth an R rating drive me crazy. Ok, I admit, I took my 10 year old son to it. Believe me, I payed dearly for that mistake. But, my 13-year-old son was also there. He loved it. Yes, violence is an issue. Most of its for a good reason. (self defense, defending others.) If you have any kind of functioning brain, youd pick up on that. As for the aliens, they're none more scary than the blobs appearing on video games. The point is, listen to movie ratings for once in your life and stop bashing on it just because your 8 year old couldnt handle it.
Parent Written byDG3 July 31, 2011

Fun date night movie for grown ups, NOT at ALL for children!

My husband and I enjoyed this movie for a date night, I have to admit it was a little violent for me and I really enjoy action movies. I think it would be way to scary for children. People are hooked through like fish and pulled into alien space ships, blood spatters on a window, people are experimented on by aliens, an alien chews on this guys neck...it goes on, its pretty violent. There is a scene where a woman is naked (showing from the back, waist up) and then is shown standing there wrapped in a small blanket. Its not meant to be a sexual scene. I don't know why they couldn't have done it a bit differently so she could be clothed...There is also language, lots of smoking and drinking. It was fun to see Harrison Ford and I think lots of people enjoy cowboy movies :) I think for a mature adult who enjoys this genre it could be a fun date night movie, but not at all appropriate for children, not AT ALL.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bygerbowski October 9, 2012

Fun action flick ok for teens

Fun western/sci-fi action flick, just try not to think about it too much. Teen boys will most likely be drawn to this movie and that's ok. There is quite a bit of violence and death, but none of it is gratuitous or especially graphic in nature. Most parents will want to pre-screen the film for any younger viewers. So just sit back and enjoy the ride, I enjoyed it and I think most other people will too.
Adult Written byfriedch1cken June 9, 2012

Disappointed

I was disappointed with Cowboys & Aliens. It's painfully predictable. This movie can be violent at times, but most kids will be able to handle it. There is a scene where a blood-thirsty alien corners a child - it might scare some.
Educator Written bySTEPHIEGIRL66 May 25, 2012

COWBOYS AND ALIENS

I CANT WAIT FOR THIS MOVIE TO BE INSTANT
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

Cowboys+aliens

good defeating movie, lots of explosive tence fights.good thriller.
Adult Written byjmottek@mac.com December 30, 2011

Not a good one.

This movie is highly volient for my 11 year old and my 13 year old has no interest
Parent of a 7 year old Written bypaulgibbons November 10, 2011

The least prudish parent here says 'avoid this one for violence'

There is hardly a PG-13 movie to which I would not take my six year old, and a few select R ones have crept in also (like the Terminator.) I find the comments here about cleavage, kissing, swearing, and drinking absurdly prudish. And generally, my minimum age is 5 or 6 years younger than the average. However, I think this is utterly too violent and scary. The creatures are horrible (great from an effects point of view), they torture humans, they are quick and viscious. There is a ton of gore, lost limps, and children's well being is threatened during the film (they get abducted by these horrible creatures). So, from someone bemused by much of the discussion here, I would say this is one to avoid.
Parent Written byBearMomma August 21, 2011

Plan on buying the DVD when it comes out!

This was a lot better than I thought it would be, in terms of carnage and potty-mouths (although I still wish they had left the bad language out entirely). Yes it was fairly violent, which is why we didn't take our 11-year-old. There was humor and sadness. The characters were believable, and eventually worked together despite differences. The "nudity" was very non-sex-related; you don't see anything besides a bare back. There are some holes in the story, but not enough to where it was distracting. More people survived than I expected, and THAT was a great surprise!
Adult Written bySpartyon August 21, 2011

Good Movie dose off quite a bit

A good movie but I did dose off a bit I may have been pretty tried that day. Pretty good action and stuff very different from movies that I do see. I'm sick of others saying that my kids couldn't handle the violent and that they complain about it thats why they have ratings and look into it to see if your kid can handle it. Mature 10 or 11 year old can handle the movie more for 12 years and up for this movie.
Adult Written bygLeek_nerd628 August 11, 2011

Good mix of Western and Sci-Fi

The title may be a bit deceiving, but Cowboys and Aliens is definitely a movie to see. Packed with nonstop action (and language), this movie is a bit slow at first, but quickly picks up the pace as it goes along. Be prepared for a lot of blood and dead bodies.
Adult Written byMovieMan26 August 8, 2011

Finally! An original, well-made combination of two popular genres!

It's been a while since we've seen something original; something that says "Hey, you haven't seen this only a thousand times before!" If this film could be summed up in one word, it would be: "refreshing." Seriously, this film is very original and well-directed; Favreau has outdone himself again with another realistic sci-fi movie (the last being Iron Man). Placing realism in an unrealistic world makes the film seem like this could really be possible, which really gets our imaginations going (and they've been rusty for years now). The cast is phenomenal: Daniel Craig is the most bad@$$ cowboy ever, Olivia Wilde is wonderful as the beautifulm mysterious female lead, and it is SO good to see Harrison Ford back in action! :) Plus, this is a great film to see for families with teens. Kids could be afraid of the jump scenes invlolving aliens, plus the sci-fi violence and gore, which is actually pretty strong for a PG-13. So, overall, this is HIGHLY recommended, but, like I said, only to teens and adults. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man