All parent member reviews for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymathmom April 9, 2008

Intriguing for kids into martial arts

I watched this movie with my 9 year old son who is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. He thought it was one of the best action films he's ever seen (which is not a lot). I think it's great that the main warriors in this story are women. Three things I'd wish I'd known: 1. There is a sex scene between the two younger lovers which was a little more than I wanted him to see at the time. 2. In one fight scene a large "knife-weapon" gets lodged into the head of a man - which was pretty gross. 3. In the final fight scene between Jade Fox and the three others, there is a pretty graphic scene of poison darts that go right into the eye of Jade Fox. That was kind of gross as well. Overall, the acting, directing and story are excellent. Even my 9 year old understood the moral of the story which had to do with living your love while you can. It also has an amazing soundtrack with Yo-Yo Ma doing cello solos.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Crouching Nap Time, Hidden Wire

What was all the rave about?
Adult Written byKitsune87 December 20, 2009

Adult Written bydragoonlover April 9, 2008

Brilliant movie

Mr Anonymous knows not what he talks about. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is not merely just another chop socky film. It's a martial arts movie with heart. It's poetry not just in the visuals, but in the music and in the emotional bonds between the characters. It teaches lessons like honor and that stealing is wrong and that even warriors can't always use violence to win and that sometimes good people die. The movie only gets an iffy for violence for one scene where a character's mouth gets cut open.
Parent of a 2 and 10 year old Written bybowlerskates January 31, 2015

Great Movie

This movie would probably be appropriate for kids as young as ten, who are comfortable with martial arts style violence and some complex themes were it not for one sex scene that makes it clear that the male character is using his hand to stimulate the female character between the legs. A lot of heavy petting, panting, sweating, etc, but no nudity that I recall. If you would like to fast-forward through that scene (which occurs during the long flash-back section, in the desert) then you could allow younger kids to watch the rest of the movie.
Parent of a 11 and 11 year old Written byEyewearinsight October 26, 2014

A Great Movie..but Not for Under 12

A couple very violent scenes as well as a quick but explicit sexual shot (not sure if everyone caught, though adults sure did)
Adult Written bychristian2011 January 23, 2013

Beautifully filmed martial arts spectacle with incredible special effects.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is definitely one of the greatest martial arts movies linked with graceful stylized action and realistic special effects which make the characters seem like they're flying, almost non-human. The landscapes, setting and background is gorgeous, makes it look exactly like China in the foreign historical era, and the romance between two of the main characters is unstoppable, no matter what near-death obstacle they face, they'll come through it happily. It's one of those rare, very underrated films which makes you want to watch it over and over again, and still be amazed and bewildered.
Parent Written bySnafuy August 6, 2009

One of the greatest wire-fu epics

My wife and I saw this movie in the theater, loved it, later bought the DVD. We're fans of pretty much everyone involved (Ang Lee, Michelle Yeoh, Chow Yun Fat, Zhang Ziyi, et al). I accidentally let my 6yo watch a few minutes of the first fight (Shu-lien vs masked thief) and his eyes opened as wide as an anime. He's now crazy about wire fu. But the rest of CTHD really isn't kid-appropriate. So we got Shaolin Soccer and all is well.
Adult Written bymarlajfish@aol.com April 9, 2008

fascinating

I was disappointed that the movie I got from Netflix was dubbed into English since I hate dubbed movies and I saw it originally in Chinese. However the kids loved the martial arts action and the beautiful cinematography and I liked the women who were just as strong as the men.