Parent reviews for Cruella

Disney villain is de Vilishly delightful, daring, and dark.

Adult Written byblewis1709 May 27, 2021

Great movie!

Once again, a re-imagining of a classic that makes you love one of Disney's most hated villains. A couple of things to note, while in my opinion there isn't anything too terrible for children younger than 13, some points in the movie will be hard for younger children to keep tabs on. I had to whisper to explain several things to my 8 year old. Just something to consider when thinking about bringing the kids. It is truly a wonderful movie! I would watch it again, and it certainly leaves you wanting more! There is a male character that wears makeup and seems to be on the more flamboyant side, if that is something that matters to you. However, there isn't any evidence of his or really anyone else's sexuality. The language wasn't an issue at all and while there is implied violence and murder, there isn't any gore or scary parts. My 8 year old loved it (and her biggest concern was when the dog(s) weren't around, if they were coming back or ok, lol
Adult Written byBlake_F June 6, 2021

Here’s the deal

To start off, I enjoyed this movie. Do I think it’s worthy of a PG-13 rating… kind of. It’s not AS intense as a lot of other PG-13 films out there but is more intense than most, if not all, PG films. This movie rides the line kind of in between those ratings imo.

If you’re on the fence about whether or not you want your younger kids (9ish or under) to watch this maybe watch the first 15-20 minutes. The movie is also fairly long and I think would be hard pressed to hold the attention of a younger audience.

There’s a major fashion/punk rock theme to it if that’s your thing, I certainly enjoyed it. I’ve seen a lot of comments from people who don’t like that this film attempts to humanize Cruella. I guess that depends on your outlook on life and whether or not you think Villains are worthy of being humanized or receiving any empathy.

The best description I read about this movie is that it’s basically Wicked meets Devil Wears Prada hahaha which is actually pretty spot on.
Adult Written byLil War June 3, 2021

Awful Story Celebrating Hate & Revenge

This is possibly the worst movie I have seen in years. A tale about a young girl with no redeeming qualities who seeks revenge, she gets progressively meaner and more evil throughout the film. No redemption for anyone. It’s like a Disney version of The Joker except you don’t care about any of the characters, just the dogs! It is also quite boring. The values in “The Devil Wears Prada” were heaven-sent by comparison. What Disney movie is driven by hate?? This one apparently.
Adult Written bylovelesshumenbe... May 29, 2021

great movie though NOT FOR KIDS i

first of all i think this film is amazing well filmed BUT not for younger veiwers because it is very very violent and to much drinking and smocking
when i went to see it i saw 18 kids there and they were so scared i thoght bad for them

Adult Written byJohnDawn May 28, 2021

Surprisingly Dark, but Well Made

This is a suprisingly well made film. But some of the content isn't appropriate for a kid under 13. And in all honestly children under that age may just not find it interesting because it really is more of a teen/adult targeted film. My kid was frightened by some of the content and the punk rock vibe (which I appreciated) was too intense for them.
Adult Written byVixyFox June 4, 2021

While not the worst Disney remake, it still suffers from many of the same problems. This is mostly in the changing of villains to make them seem oppressed and innocent. These iconic and evil antagonists shouldn’t be re-written to accommodate modern morales. Disney should stop reusing their old films and instead create new role models for their audience.

Adult Written bymeydiana.rizki June 2, 2021

Cruella de Vil

I Just watched this movie and it is by far the best movie I have ever seen in 2021. The story, the writing, the actors were 10's across the board. The fashion, The acting, The Attitude and The music is also 10/10. If you are ever in the mood to feel like a bad b**ch, this movie fully embodies it. Emma stone was meant to play cruella and she embodied her perfectly.

Watching the movie, the background story on cruella explains a lot on how her behavior is currently. can't deny as well that cruella embodies everyone who is hungry for power and fame. its also very funny. the directors make sure not to make in every scene funny but funny at the correct moments.

Another thing I love was the high fashion. The choice to play the movie cruella during 1970's/80's london was a very good choice, not to mention the fact that during that time fashion was really high couture. (compared to now, but has its moments).

now if there are any negatives. to be honest, i found not much negatives. tho i did feel the ending was missing something but that could just be me. another thing is of course the dead parent. but considering the fact that cruella joins other orphans and becomes a band of thieves makes you forget that her mom died. of course with her mentioning her a few times but it doesn't take over the whole movie

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend this movie. again, if your feeling like a bad b**ch? watch this movie. If you're a fashion lover? watch this movie. If your a disney fan and want something other than singing people and crying and depression and seeing something opposite? watch this movie. or if your in the mood of watching two iconic actresses (Emma Stone and Emma Thompson) and watch them lock horns and have a fashion cat fight? watch this movie.

my rating? out of 10? 11/10

Adult Written byajdctx12 May 28, 2021

Fantastic film but VERY dark for disney. Worthy of a PG13 rating

Amazing film. The filming, the music, the atmosphere as a whole was just fantastic. But parents should know that this film is very very dark at times. Like at parts characters are tied up, gagged and left to die in burning buildings, and near the beginning a woman falls off of a cliff. Throughout the rest of the film, especially near the end the tone gets so dark that its easy to forget its a disney film. It feels much more similar to a toned down version of Joker. Personally I loved the darkness of it all, and hope disney does this more often, but if you have young kids they will most likely find the film disturbing.
Adult Written byChef Lorraine June 5, 2021

Not suitable for 13 and less

My daughters are 10 and 11, we figured Disney would be acceptable and we came on this site to see what was being said. I was a little skeptical with it almost being a 50/50 of not good (no one was getting into detail of why it wasn’t good tho so we thought maybe just some super strict parents) and some were saying it’s okay.... It’s Disney. We were aware of “violence” but were not expecting murder set ups to the point of gagging Cruella, and setting fire, the words Murder being shown across the screen numerous times being pushed off a cliff (this we were aware from another review, the dogs end up pushing someone off the cliff) and for example “killing my only child” talk. This was to much for a “children’s” movie. Both of my daughters were extremely uncomfortable at certain scenes, where I ended up having the remote in hand to fast forward hoping it was just that scene. The first 45-1 hour was okay but then it’s got to graphic and I ended up skipping thru the remaining movie.

Great movie for adults. I personally would of watched it on my own but not with my kids. For that I’m very disappointed. I’m not strict but I feel this is to much for this age gap. Our kids are exposed to already to much.

Adult Written byelsaant June 1, 2021

Superb, Dark and Delightful

I loved everything about this movie! My boys aged 7 and 11 also watched and really loved it! The story is a triumph of good over evil ... and I loved learning the story of Cruella - who in fact isn’t a villain just misunderstood! My favourite movie in last two years ... and Cruella is my new role model! The soundtrack and fashion is also next level! I cannot fault this movie at all... I hope there is a sequel! Wow!

Adult Written byDeirJazz May 30, 2021

BRILLIANT!!

Am not one who usually writes reviews, but this time round, I soo just had to.
I LOVEDDDD IT!!! Emma Stone did this movie more than justice. The acting was superb, the cast was amazinggg...Gosh I loved it!! WELL DONE DISNEY, ON THIS ONE.

I love how Disney is changing the narrative here and giving the villains the spotlight. It's about time we got to know their stories.

Now I need a movie on Hades, then on Ursla, and also one on Izma of Emperor's new groove.
Adult Written byctaft55 May 27, 2021

Perfect

I have no idea why it’s rated pg 13 it’s perfectly ok for kids

Adult Written byAlfredaubry June 4, 2021

Corella was amazing

First off I was shocked at how much I loved the music, I will definitely be buying the soundtrack. The story had a pleasant twist and I found myself laughing out loud. Perfect family movie!
Adult Written byerikagonzales10 June 2, 2021

VERY Good movie I don't know why it is PG-13

This movie is really good. I Loved it, My 6yr old also loved it. It is not violent, I just recommend to skip the first part of a woman falling from a cliff, skip it for young kids. In that part they don't show the woman after falling or anything it is not violent.
Adult Written byMichael Tronn May 31, 2021

A NEAR PERFECT FILM

SPOILERS HEREIN: Many Disney films with the loss of a parent (or both) which sets the action in motion. Cruella stays true to this, and as people are the sum pf their life experiences, Cruella proves this; and it does so in a (nearly?) perfect storyline. It is complex, smart, has many surprising twists and turns that all crescendo perfectly. While adults may think it is dark for Disney, in reality after 3 viewings, it is really no darker than most other Disney movies for children, which all deal with children longing for something. That said, I think any child who was not upset with the beginning of Frozen or the villain in Little Mermaid will not be bothered here. Children are much less literal and judgemental than adults and they will probably enjoy ALL of the standard traditional Disney excellence, stories, with occasional slapstick and repeated lines. As for the dialogue, there aremany truly brilliant lines and speeches, ripe with emotion, subtlety and amazing acting that is emotional and sincere. Cruella is not a farce. It is a drama. It is gorgeous and stunning in every shot. The costumes are incredible and there are tons of major fashion moments. Cruella will spark the imaginations of adults and children alike. Enjoy!
Adult Written byHarry Potter's ... June 16, 2021

Amazing backstory for a classic Disney villain.

Amazing movie. My family enjoyed watching it. The story follows a young girl named Estella who goes to work for The baroness. She then learns that The baroness killed her mother on a cliff. It is a good coming of age movies with lots of twists and turns.

Parent Written byJulie K. June 15, 2021

Great movie

Violence 3/5
Sex 0/5
Language 2/5
Drugs alcohol and smoking 3/5

Adult Written byOreo012003 June 14, 2021

Toxic

A lot like the Disney franchise.... devilish, predictable, and not worth going to see. No role models and the main character grows abusive and nean to her friends with no change

Adult Written byErin1013 June 13, 2021

Cruella

OMG ! Love the new remake of Cruella! It’s the best movie out right now. Between the bitterness of Emma Thompson and Emma Stone she is such a badass!! the entire cast was superb. It was nice to see Estelle and how she grew up how and why she became Cruella it was sad and disturbing but how the story unfolds becomes incredibly exciting, the acting, gorgeous costumes/makeup/visuals. Even Emma Thompson with that devil Wears Prada-ish flare/wit made the movie! I hope that Emma Stone and Emma Thompson get awards for this remake because it was a remarkable reminder on a new twist from the original.
Adult Written bySpixmacaw978 June 12, 2021

Too Unpredicitble

It was boring and a little annoying until the last half of the movie.