All parent member reviews for Dances with Wolves

Adult Written bymoviemadness April 1, 2009

Excellent But Mature Movie

Dances With Wolves is an EXCELLENT movie that accurately portrays the times. That being said, it's not for kids. The violence is graphic and, at times, perpetrated because of racism, ignorance, or barbarity. A great deal of callous disrespect is shown by soldiers towards the people and animals of the west. There are several scenes of a man naked (we see his back, bottom, chest, legs, and arms) and a woman (we see her back and the sides of her breasts). There is also sex under blankets. This movie leaves the viewer deeply ashamed of the white presence in the west, but also newly appreciative of those that showed respect. A viewer needs maturity to watch this. Best for 15+
Parent Written bySteelemovies June 21, 2010

Love this movie and we watched it with our 12 & 14 year old but had them cover their eyes during the sex scene. Great conversation starter about what happened during that time.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bygerbowski October 14, 2012

Classic western should be ok for most teens

A classic western epic with a different view on Native Americans. Although it can be violent at times, it is not excessive, and the few sex scenes are quite tame. I really enjoyed this movie and I think most people will too. It should be ok for most teenagers, depending on the maturity of your child.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byLindie January 24, 2010

Great movie for about the 12 and up crowd
Adult Written byhorse_gerbil April 9, 2008

Wonderful piece of work, but be cautious.

Keep in mind, I did love this movie, it was one of the greatest I've seen. I didn't personally think that the violence and nudity was that bad, but I've seen 300 (with blood every second and also showing bear breasts.) The plot is intreaging, but there are emotional times, and they are pretty strong. If you get into a movie like I do, a few tears might fall. Dances with Wolves is a great movie, but probably not for 10-.