Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Date Night

Funny duo packs in the silly sex jokes, plus minor gun play.

Parent of a 4, 6, 14, and 16 year old Written byhighlander91 September 20, 2010

An OK movie

Some really funny parts, but overall just ok. Maybe it was the melancholy marriage bit that made it feel a little heavy. Kids won't get the marriage stuff and they could have left out a bunch of the language.

Adult Written byMPVS2 September 25, 2010

Not for 13 year old kids!

Hate it !!! Should not be rated PG13!!!! Watch out - the sexual talk is over the top. Comments about "the back door", asking if they want to be sexual partners - just ridiculous! I can't believe this is rated PD 13 and not R. Also has the lovely "F" word in it.

Parent of an infant, 2, 6, 9, 12, and 14 year old Written byEllie2212 April 26, 2010

Really depends

I saw this movie and my 12 and 14 year old both saw it (all of us on separate occasions). I think that I would say 13+, however it really depends on the maturity of the child.

Adult Written byOmgomg123123 February 24, 2011
I don't know how this made pg-13. I would not let my 14 year old watch this.

Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written bylisaa May 18, 2010

Would not take anyone under 17

While this is a funny movie with two funny actors, the amount of sexual innuendo, sex talk, suggestive movement and language made me and my husband uncomfortable thinking about showing this to our kids. There were a lot of true to life comments about the life of a family and husbands and wives, but not anything a child would or should understand. Inappropriate talk about whether husbands or wives think about leaving for someone else, that in my opinion a child doesn't need to hear. When the review says a very long strip club scene, it should read very, very long and it wasn't just a scene with strippers/dancers in the background, but a screen full of barely covered body parts. Two stars for adults, zero for kids.

Adult Written bycselby August 15, 2013

Date Night: Fun action-comedy safe for mature teens.

While the movie does contain mature and edgy content, it is strictly played for laughs and all comes to a neat and tidy resolution at the end. The main characters are well-to-do parents who get caught up in an absurd situation involving a flash drive, crooked cops, and a district attorney. The movie contains a few gun fights and some strong language (several uses of s--t, and two uses of f--k, which is rare for the PG-13 rating), but mature teens should be able to handle it.

Adult Written bySipes January 23, 2012

PG-13 WHAT??

Anyone who has kids knows that this movie should have been rated R. Way too many sexual references for any 13 yr old to understand. No need for kids to hear MOST of the language in this movie. Such a disappointment.
Parent of a 13, 13, 13, and 13 year old Written bymimsy17 August 11, 2010
An R movie for sexual content and language that was somehow given a PG-13 rating.

Parent Written bydsapyta April 30, 2010

Unfunny and poor taste

This movie was so unfunny. How is this movie appropriate for 13 year olds. Bizarre strip club scene that was so stupid. I love Steve Carell, but he needs to be more selective picking movies. What a disappointment. Don't let young teens see this movie.

Adult Written bycamiller77 July 7, 2011

date night

When you watch this movie you will laugh. It is great but, there's some iffy stuff the young kids might not understand.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byKatherine T. April 3, 2017

Iffy for 14+

My parents seen this movie and they said it's only for a 14 and up only to watch the movie
Parent Written byjhartsock81 January 28, 2011
Definitely not for the younger teens and kids. Pretty good movie though.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byButt head doofus December 23, 2018
Adult Written bybitesizemoviereview August 6, 2012

Too much sex, otherwise a funny movie

This is probably the dirtiest movie I've ever seen...which is too bad, because the acting is hilarious and the plot is great. This movie is bogged down with sexual innuendos. The worst part is the pole dancing scene, when the husband/wife duo are forced to perform in front of a corrupt government official in a brothel. There are brief shots of strippers and pole dancers, then a full length sequence of pole dancing. There is also an awkward man that helps the couple earlier in the movie, who walks around shirtless and is always alluding to sex, making the husband jealous. It's too bad there's so much sex in this movie--otherwise, it would be a great, enjoyable comedy.

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byminivanmaster January 6, 2011

Good laugh for older teens and great for parents.

This movie is just a laugh movie. It is not really good for young children but I would say 15 and up would appreciate it. You might want to watch it first to see if it is too inappropriate. I loved it but I know it is too inappropriate for my children.

Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 9, 2010

Very funny couple comedy is too sexual, violent for kids

I highly enjoyed this surprising (although not too surprising, due to the fantastic cast) action romcom starring Steve Carell and Tina Fey, both hilarious actors. The dialogue is witty and funny. The action is fairly suspenseful. This is a fun and fast-paced movie. Parents: There is a lot of sex-related dialogue, sexuality, including a strip club, partial nudity, violence, and language, including an f-bomb (though it's very well-placed). Bottom Line: Funny, whip smart, and interesting, this action comedy is worth your time. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man

Parent of a 12 year old Written byMommyconcerned July 6, 2010

Adult Written bypicky grandma June 3, 2010
I thought this movie was disgusting and vulgar. Not worth a few laughs, very few. SEX, SEX, SEX--too much talk about it and too much innuendo. Good grief, why would any parent want to allow their child to see this movie.

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byflashinthepan May 21, 2010

Another farce type movie that gives no surprises after the first 10 minutes

My wife and I both felt the movie was just o.k. Funny at times, but not good wholesome flow thru comedy. IT was really very stupid and totally unbelievable thru most of it. Then it jumps around and moves to scenes that were never built up in the first place, so you are not sure how they got to where they get to all the time. The car chase scene with the 2 cars stuck together was just plain ridiculous....there was so little that you could relate to and it was all over the map and so un-realistic. See it if you like Steve Carrel and Tina Fey, but keep your expectations low. Watch it on DVD.
Adult Written byJouncyG May 16, 2010

Should have walked out.

PG 13 is not safe anymore. The F word was used again and again, along with penis and vagina and others. The beginning was safe enough but mid to end was absolutely beyond belief in language and then sex inuentos. It was like being blasted with a fiery arrows it was so bad.