Parent reviews for Dear John

Teens will swoon for far-fetched, syrupy romance.

Adult Written byMatt B. February 17, 2019

Great movie for teens

This is a great movie but it has a sensual scene that's a little mature.
Parent Written byVictoria M. November 5, 2016

An excellent movie about true & enduring love

Adult Written byKneese November 27, 2015

SO SAD BUT SO AMAZING

The beginning was confusing but the middle was sad throughout the movie and had romance difficulties at the end. BUT OVER ALL IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adult Written bywonder dove January 7, 2013

Nice for teens and families, 12 and up!

Nice movie! One of the better teen romance movies without too much of the iffy content. This wasn't my favorite but it's definitely a cute chick flick with a good, fairly clean storyline. Characters are very likable. The story is a bit sad but realistic, which is one element I liked about it. John (Channing Tatum) and his love interest Savannah (Amanda Seyfried) had very good chemistry on-screen! Sexual content is pretty mild with some kissing and a brief sex scene that shows some skin but nothing sensitive. Violence includes a couple war-like scenes, a quick fight scene and a shooting. Language has a few sh*ts, h*ll, @ss. Overall, pretty clean and perfect for 12 and up I think!

Adult Written by08MyWorld19 September 20, 2010

Teens

I liked the movie a lot. It was sad and it was a lot about love. It had a great story to it.

Adult Written byKC4 August 7, 2010

Nearly clean romance

A few scenes of passionate making out and leading to sex. A couple scenes with bare back/side of lead female. One scene lead female shown in bra. Male lead without shirt many times.
Parent of a 9 and 13-year-old Written byhallieandelenasmom June 18, 2010

Not for children!

Ick. Both Hallie and I read the book, but it was nothing like the movie. Hallie was disgusted by the 'love scene.' I disliked the many uses of the word 's**t' and drinking.

Adult Written byjoshua martinez May 25, 2010
dear john is a love movie that's perfect for teens that can handle love and relationships the movie has some mild violence also there's only one brief sex scene but only bare shoulders and backs are shown there's also some language used Adults drink beer at a beach party and wine at dinner there's several great positive message in this film for example John selflessly volunteers to re-enlist in the Army despite the fact it will keep him and Savannah away from each other and Savannah makes an enormous sacrifice to help others in need.

Adult Written byLaryssa Osyka April 22, 2010

Nick Sparks.....a amazing author who books turn into great movies.

I loved this movie becasue it show Love in all areas. Savannah and John keep in touch in every way possible, even if it maens snail mail. The love that savannah and john feel for each other is storng but when savannah gets married to tim and tells this to john both have broken hearts because Savannah love John more then she will love Tim.....all in all it is a very cute.

Adult Written byStephyperrigo February 24, 2010
this was one of the better movies i have seen but i would say the notebook is one of nicohlas sparks better love stories.

Parent Written byAOwen239 February 18, 2010

Great Movie

loved the movie, but should have read the book first..

Parent of a 12-year-old Written bycupcakemomma February 6, 2010

12 is too young for it to hold their interest

My 14 year old boy, athlete, cried twice. My 12 year old girl was more interested in visiting with friends during the movie.

Parent Written by4outthedoor January 29, 2010

Sweet, Sweet Love Story With an Abrupt Ending

This is a very sweet love story which addresses periferal issues including autism and war so be sure and bring your kleenex. If you are looking for a true chick flick, this is it. But keep your expectations low. The ending is a bit of a disappointment. I thought this was a go for children ages 10 and up because of the brief and mild sex scene. For a more in-depth review you can visit my blog at www.4outthedoor.wordpress.com.