Kid reviews for Dear John

Teens will swoon for far-fetched, syrupy romance.

Kid, 12 years old December 7, 2012

DearJohn

this story is based off the book. It is about John a marine vists his father and meets Savanna. they soon fall in love but when john has to go back to the army they are forced to write letters to keep there long distance relationship. It is a perfect romance for everyone and leaves you to pick the ending. there is some sex content it is very breif and there is no nudity. John is shot in one seen and you can see his blood. There are also death themes and mature themes that younger teens/kids won't undestand and will be upstet by the choses. The choses upstet me too but it was for the best and some younger teens might not understand that. All in all this story is very good and for romantics this is the perfect friday night choice.

Kid, 12 years old July 9, 2018

Good for 10's and up!

if your kids were disgusted by the love scene then you're clearly keeping your childeren from everything! most movies these days contains sexual refernces, drinking/drug use, violence or swearing! i saw this when i was 10, my mum was worried about me thinking the love scene was gross but you only see them kissing and some bare skin (but no nudity) totally fine for kids 10 and up!
Teen, 17 years old Written byMJ33 January 10, 2021
Dear John is a sweet romance based on a book by Nicholas Sparks. The movie has more violence than you might expect because John is a soldier, so you see some scenes with violence, albeit nothing graphic. There is very little bad language, and the sexuality is mainly limited to kissing and one scene where the characters sleep together however it's very short and you dont see anything. Two characters have autism, which is a topic of conversation throughout the film. Overall it was a pretty good movie, as far as romances go.

Teen, 14 years old Written byvdonger July 14, 2020

its an appropriate movie but still very good

it is very realistic and it could be a real life scenario. it has an autistic kid in it and talks alot about it and cancer. i think it can help you with a couple laughs and tears and help kids understand things a little more.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDramaKid June 9, 2018

I loved it!

I am 15 and mature for my age, there was a lot in the movie that isn’t okay for younger audiences. There violence because John is enlisted in the army, at one point there is shooting and he gets shot. There is also a relationship between Savannah and John, which means that there is passionate kissing and one scene that leads to more but we see nothing more than shoulders, arms, and backs. Other than that they are great role models and the story kept me on edge. It is admirable and makes me want to focus more on service towards others.

Teen, 13 years old Written byactress_r March 23, 2018

lots of time gaps

this was my least favorite Nicolas Sparks movie. There where multiple time gaps and the movie just went on too long. I also found it creepy that the female main character married a much older man out of force because he was dying and needed somebody to take take care of his autistic child.
Teen, 16 years old Written byFarrahkilpatrick February 2, 2018

Teen, 13 years old Written byJoanna Wood October 14, 2017

Good film but sad at points

This is a very good film which at some points quite sad. The film would probably satisfy adults more than teenagers due to many purposes.
Teen, 15 years old Written bythePrettyDead July 19, 2016

Kid, 11 years old January 6, 2015

Confusing but sweet

Although Dear John is surprisingly better than the vow, this movie is much more emotional and might be confusing for 11 and under. There is lots of passionate kissing and an intriguing sex scene.

Teen, 14 years old Written bycsensemediareviewer December 29, 2014

Great for teens and older pre teens

This movie is a great movie if you like chick flicks. There is a couple of intimate scenes and some cursing but other than that it is appropriate for 12-year-olds.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDani_Stevens12 September 14, 2014

OMG!!!

Best film I have seen in a long time and Channing Tatum is just - wow! Loved it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlake_Slaughter May 31, 2014

The book was so much better... I was so disappointed!

Teen, 13 years old Written byeschmu September 8, 2013

Such a good movie! Lots of romance

This movie was amazing. Just watched it and I started to cry. I had a hard time believing the ending, I really wanted it to turn out different. I would so watch it again. There is very few language scenes. It is such a romantic movie so if you dont like anything to do with kissing and romance I would not watch this movie.

Teen, 14 years old Written byvballglam August 2, 2013

High expectations but disappointing results

It was an ok movie. I cried in a couple of scenes and the ending definitely disappointed. There Is some violence, mostly when John is fighting in the war. There is a love scene but it is dark and nothing is really seen.

Teen, 15 years old Written byiBanih June 16, 2013

Great

Can be emotionally heavy on some, but really good

Kid, 12 years old June 1, 2013

AMAZING!!!!!!!!! definitely watch

it is the best yet saddest movie I've ever seen, the amount of time the characters spend apart really shows that true love exists no matter the distance

Teen, 13 years old Written byZaCeEfRoNno.1FAn August 27, 2012

NEARLY 5 star

This movie is a fabulous but doesn't quite catch the feelings the book delivers.
I would recommend it to 12 year olds and up although I am 11 and I've seen it.
It's a great movie with one scene where a fellow solider of johns gets shot but nothing too bad. There is a sex scene but only bare shoulders and back are shown so not too graphic. Love gets complicated and the turn out is upsetting for John. I recommend though.
Its just 12 year olds would really appreciate what it shows more. ( I completely did)

Teen, 15 years old Written bymarylucindamyers April 17, 2012

I think this is an amazing movie!
it is really good, and shows how relationships will change or can change over time! :) deffenitly reccomended.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 13, 2011

romance and violent drama is good but not the best

i love this movie and this book but the book is way better than the movie.