All teen and kid member reviews for Dear John

Teen, 15 years old Written byTHE MOVIE MAN March 7, 2010

Movie Man on Dear John

Dear John is absolouly a movie for a date night. Some people will love it and cry at the end but some people might get a little bored. Younger teens might not find this movie the ecxiting. It is kind of long for a romantic drama. This movie probably only targets older teens. Thats why they might of had so much content that younger kids shouldn't see. There is kissing which turns into something but nothing is shown. The main character, John, gets into a fight and he is in the army and in some scenes there is a lot of shooting.In one scene someone gets shot and wounded. There is some drinking and talking about people being mental. There is also some laungage. This movie is going to bore younger crowds but older people will enjoy it but still it is appropriate for teens ages 13 and up.
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2010

A Lovey-Dovey Romance

Dear John is one of the romance movies that can make boys say "yuck!" To be honest that is kind of true. There are many kissing scenes including where they have a scene in bed (if you know what I mean). And it is visible that he takes of her bra. It was a little disturbing (my mom called it "a very special moment."). Really to be on the good side, it's about this girl who got her purse accidentally thrown into the ocean and this man named John goes and saves it. Then they just get to know each other more. Also though, John has to go into the army while the girl has college. Really why this movie is called Dear John because the man is named John and they write letters to each other. And then it get's quite sad. It's a movie that is really meant for teens. Because tweens might not be ready for that kind of mature movie yet. -
Teen, 15 years old Written bythePrettyDead July 19, 2016
Kid, 12 years old December 7, 2012

DearJohn

this story is based off the book. It is about John a marine vists his father and meets Savanna. they soon fall in love but when john has to go back to the army they are forced to write letters to keep there long distance relationship. It is a perfect romance for everyone and leaves you to pick the ending. there is some sex content it is very breif and there is no nudity. John is shot in one seen and you can see his blood. There are also death themes and mature themes that younger teens/kids won't undestand and will be upstet by the choses. The choses upstet me too but it was for the best and some younger teens might not understand that. All in all this story is very good and for romantics this is the perfect friday night choice.
Kid, 12 years old December 3, 2010

Little dodgy, but with a good heart

It had some dodgy romance scenes, but the characters are good role models. There are good disabled characters.
Kid, 11 years old January 6, 2015

Confusing but sweet

Although Dear John is surprisingly better than the vow, this movie is much more emotional and might be confusing for 11 and under. There is lots of passionate kissing and an intriguing sex scene.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 13, 2011

romance and violent drama is good but not the best

i love this movie and this book but the book is way better than the movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylivvy314 January 4, 2011

Great movie for 13 or even 12+

really good movie! the plot is amazing and the actors who play their characters just shine in the roles, sad but heartfelt and leaves you feeling fulfilled. only a couple kissing scenes, like I said 12 should be the youngest age they can watch it. they only spend one night together and the sex scene is not graphic and very short. great overall movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written bymoviesarecoolxx June 19, 2010

Sparks never fails (:

such a good movie! so cute! it's fine for anyone over 12, there is only one love scene, and no sensitive parts are shown see it! :] I cried throughout
Kid, 11 years old June 14, 2010

Not very good at all!

this movie was not as good as you would think! it didnt end right. they either should have cut 10 minutes off or added 10 minutes!
Kid, 12 years old May 31, 2010

ok

It was a sad movie, it's wasn't the best but it was ok, watched it with my friends and we all cried none of us liked the ending but that was why the movie was called dear john.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycsensemediareviewer December 29, 2014

Great for teens and older pre teens

This movie is a great movie if you like chick flicks. There is a couple of intimate scenes and some cursing but other than that it is appropriate for 12-year-olds.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDani_Stevens12 September 14, 2014

OMG!!!

Best film I have seen in a long time and Channing Tatum is just - wow! Loved it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlake_Slaughter May 31, 2014

The book was so much better... I was so disappointed!

Teen, 13 years old Written byeschmu September 8, 2013

Such a good movie! Lots of romance

This movie was amazing. Just watched it and I started to cry. I had a hard time believing the ending, I really wanted it to turn out different. I would so watch it again. There is very few language scenes. It is such a romantic movie so if you dont like anything to do with kissing and romance I would not watch this movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byvballglam August 2, 2013

High expectations but disappointing results

It was an ok movie. I cried in a couple of scenes and the ending definitely disappointed. There Is some violence, mostly when John is fighting in the war. There is a love scene but it is dark and nothing is really seen.
Teen, 15 years old Written byiBanih June 16, 2013

Great

Can be emotionally heavy on some, but really good
Kid, 12 years old June 1, 2013

AMAZING!!!!!!!!! definitely watch

it is the best yet saddest movie I've ever seen, the amount of time the characters spend apart really shows that true love exists no matter the distance
Teen, 13 years old Written byZaCeEfRoNno.1FAn August 27, 2012

NEARLY 5 star

This movie is a fabulous but doesn't quite catch the feelings the book delivers. I would recommend it to 12 year olds and up although I am 11 and I've seen it. It's a great movie with one scene where a fellow solider of johns gets shot but nothing too bad. There is a sex scene but only bare shoulders and back are shown so not too graphic. Love gets complicated and the turn out is upsetting for John. I recommend though. Its just 12 year olds would really appreciate what it shows more. ( I completely did)
Teen, 15 years old Written bymarylucindamyers April 17, 2012

I think this is an amazing movie! it is really good, and shows how relationships will change or can change over time! :) deffenitly reccomended.