All parent member reviews for Despicable Me 2

Adult Written bycourtwork July 3, 2013

Great laughs for 8 or 9 and up

I like this movie. My husband and I laughed right along with our 10 year old. There are so many cleverly funny parts. The returning characters are the strongest: Gru, the minions, Agnes, the middle sister, and Dr. Nefario. There are some new characters who aren't quite as strong in my opinion. I love Kristen Wiig, but the character of Lucy is just OK for me. We didn't take our 6 year old, and I'm glad. As with most sequels, the ante is upped on violence, romance, and scariness. *Spoiler Alert* When the character of Lucy is introduced, she basically abducts Gru by force: tazering and smashing him into a car trunk, etc. It's supposed to be funny, but since we already love Gru and we don't yet know Lucy, I think this sequence might be confusing and upsetting for small kids. Later, she jokingly talks about how much she enjoyed doing it, which is weird. The minions become vibrating purple bad guys with giant teeth who eat everything they see, which is alarming for some small kids. I know my little one has a hard time digesting the previously funny cute good guys becoming a threat. I heard some distressed cries in the theater during this and some other climactic parts of the movie. The character of Margo, who is obviously still prepubescent, has a small romance with a boy in the mall. It's very tame, but delivers a message nonetheless. The boy is playing the cool guy who sweeps her off her feet (they sit at a table alone in his dad's restaurant and eat cookies) and he ultimately breaks her heart by flitting to another girl by the end of the movie. At the end she says, "boys stink" and Gru agrees. I don't like this portrayal for this age group (especially of boys). Boys are as innocent as girls at this age, if not more so; most are certainly not "players." Margo has a phone and is seen texting while in bed - it feels like the other girls are roughly the same age as in the original movie, but Margo is suddenly a teenager. Also in the romance department, Gru ultimately falls in love with Lucy, who admittedly evolves into a loving character, who cares for the authentic Gru. The character of the villain protagonist is colorful, but becomes big and scary at one point. All in all, we enjoyed the film. There are good conversations that can be had with slightly older kids about the aforementioned elements. I recommend this movie for parents with kids 8 or 9 and up, possibly younger, depending on your child.
Parent Written byNZmamoose July 2, 2013

Not the best message for kids

I took my 6 yr old, hesitantly, to this for a fund-raiser. There are some quite scary bits in it and she's been having nightmares every night since. She's also been role playing the violent parts. I know it's only cartoon violence, but I believe this promotes a message to children that I'd rather not endorse. I find it weird getting laughs from hurting others. There were boyfriend-girlfriend themes which were inappropriate for younger viewers (the teacher at school has been asking parents to stop allowing their kids to watch this type of thing, as they role play it back at school). I enjoyed the movie myself though because of the adult humour, but I think 9+yrs for this one.
Parent Written bykcm7 July 3, 2013

Worth it!

The entire family was eagerly awaiting this release - and it didn't disappoint. While the first one edged out the sequel, this version was warm, funny, and suspenseful, albeit maybe 10 to 15 minutes too long. Gru is great and the minions really make the movie. Definitely recommend this movie.
Parent Written bymama2review July 10, 2013

Not for young ones!

We went to see this with our 4 year old and 6 year old and had to leave when the minions turned purple. My 6 year old was so disturbed by the fact that the purple minion was trying to eat the little girl he was shaking. If this had been a regular movie with that kind of horror scene it would have been R rated. Little kids can't process that kind of violence and don't understand that it will all turn out ok in the end. My 6 year old is still having nightmares. There is A LOT of romantic innuendo in this movie that really turned us off too, both between Gru and his partner Lucy, as well as between the oldest little girl and a little boy. The childhood romance stuff was overkill and seemed really inappropriate. I realize this movie is rated PG so perhaps this content is ok for that rating, but I know some parents take the chance to take younger kids to PG movies (esp. as the original one wasn't so bad) so am sharing our experience to give them a heads up. Hope to help!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMee_Maw July 7, 2013

Sweet story, adorable characters, but why beat up the bad date?

The girls want a mom and encourage Gru to date. At one point, he's "fixed up." The date is overtly sexy, talks too much, is obviously designed to be seen as "bad." At one point she gets poked in the bottom by a syringe of some "knock-out stuff," and passes out. The whole process of getting her out of the restaurant is awful. Her head is caught between the doors, she gets slammed and banged into things, is driven home on top of the car - all the while looking ridiculous because she's unconscious. I guess I'm getting old, but it wasn't funny to me; it was actually disturbing. And it was an odd message to send to kids. Not even sure about the message... Women who aren't sweet and charming deserve to be treated badly? Is that possible?? Or if someone is unconscious, it's okay to throw them around and make them look silly? I'd be interested to know how other adults perceived this scene, and if their kids mentioned it. I was with my daughter and 6-yr-old grandson. Neither of them seemed bothered by it.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 9 year old Written byenapeters July 5, 2013

Great for older kids, too intense for the little ones

My nine year old and eight year old were fine, but my five year old spent the whole movie in my lap. The minions becoming bad guys was too much for him, and I thought the part where the bunny turns into a purple monster and kills the scientist was really inappropriate for a kid's movie.
Parent Written byCathieQ July 7, 2013

Very disappointing sequel!

Our family loved the first Despicable Me, it's one of our favorite movies and we've watched it over and over. I was really disappointed by #2. Was no-one else bothered by the fact that Gru's love interest looks anorexic? I could barely stand to look at her she was so thin. The film-makers missed a real opportunity to actually come up with a fun and atypical heroine, so she's nothing special. Margo's love interest isn't interesting either. Even the villain is stereotypical and boring -- we loved Vector in the first movie, a brilliant play on the type of person that secretly annoys everyone. Even more disappointing is that the movie drags along towards the end. There is no real plot, only vignettes. These are definitely funny, and children/parents will enjoy the laughs. Despicable Me 2 is entertaining but overall the movie isn't nearly as clever, unexpected, or memorable as the first one.
Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written byMrsAllnut July 20, 2013

Predictable and occasionally appalling

While I liked most of this film and found it rather harmless, silly fun, there are stereotypes of Mexicans that should give pause as well as stereotypes of busy-body suburban moms that I found annoying and not integral to the story. In one scene, Gru is on a date with a woman who is a mishmash of bored housewife who spends all her time exercising; she is shot with an animal tranquilizer and while they carry her out, her head is bashed in sliding doors, she's crammed into a car, and ultimately ends up strapped to the car roof and dumped on her porch. With several high profile cases in the news of young women being drugged or drunk and having their bodies abused without their knowledge, this entire scene made me cringe and want to leave the theater. I spoke to my two girls later and they hadn't seen the point of the character and the scene, but we ended up in a long conversation about the dangers of drinking and possibly being drugged. I was quite uncomfortable with the scene. I'm ashamed of the studio for promoting that as comedy. Otherwise, the movie was passable, but nowhere near the brilliance of the original. We predicted most of the plot well before the film; little children will get a kick out of the minions but my girls (12 and 16) were bothered that Gru didn't seem to care/ notice that many of his minions went missing, which is atypical of the character. Lots of slapstick, a few fart jokes, and predictable plot.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bymammabubbybear August 6, 2013

Too scary

My husband and I thought it was cute and funny. My 7 year old was a little bothered by the purple minions. My 5 year old was absolutely terrified. He has had weeks of nightmares and has been very clingy. If you have kids that are sensitive to scary stuff, skip this one until they are older.
Parent Written bycastlerockmom July 11, 2013

Liberal Garbage

I think there was way too much liberal garbage stuffed into this movie! Nudity, excessive potty humor, cross dressing, pretend beer party, shooting family members with jam-filled artillery (but it looked like footage from violent video game shoot em ups), date violence (cloaked in "silly" accident after accident, but then followed up with violation of physical respect for an unconscious date), way too much kid dating and romance for a kids' movie. They pretty much ruined this cool franchise. The whole feel of it was just way off from the first movie. I wish we'd just left when it became surprisingly uncomfortable. Of course the kids didn't get most of it when I asked them what they thought, but it's just one more movie aimed at desensitizing kids while entertaining parents with the more subtle humor. However, they really turned off the parents that I was there with on this one because they geared it toward very liberal party-animal type parents which we are not.
Educator and Parent Written bylanwenyi July 17, 2013

Too Scary for Young Kids

It was an okay movie, but not as good as the first one. However, I disagree with the description on the main page of "mild peril". The scenes of the minions changing were terrifying (read: "young children throughout the theatre were screaming at the top of their lungs and my children had nightmares"). This movie is much too scary for young children in the theatre. My children are nearly 6 and just turned 4 and both were freaked (my 4yo was one of the screamers). While my children were able to be calmed, many parents had to take their screaming children out of the theatre. This movie is more appropriate for older children, teens, and adults. There were plenty of funny bits, and sweet parts, etc, but it was far too scary for young children.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bycaribbeandream July 8, 2013

This could have been a really good movie, but it fails in many little ways

This could have been a really good movie. It's not a horrible movie, but it fails in many little ways. First, let's start with the awful ethnic stereotypes that are El Macho and Mr. Wong. Then let's add the older daugther falling in love with a boy who isn't even old enough to drive yet is depicted as a "player." And for the cherry on top, take a whole buch of YouTube trailers made to maximize the LOL moments and then paste them together w/o any though to having a coherent plot. If you are OK with all of this, then by all means go watch DM2.
Adult Written byJEDI micah July 7, 2013

MORE MINIONS!!!

What makes this sequel very hilarious, like the first movie, are the minions! You can't help but laugh out loud when they are doing the things only minions do! And plus, Gru is a good role model as a caring father. Next to Monsters University, this is one of the best family movies of the year! Families, DO NOT MISS THIS MOVIE!!!
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy July 8, 2013

Even better than the first.

I loved the first one too, but I found this one to be even better. The Minions were hilarious as ever, I loved the "tortilla chip hat" joke, and it was so so so so so funny when Lucy was thinking about Gru, because everyone on the plane looked like Gru. I got a HUGE kick out of this movie.
Educator and Parent Written byJenniferLynn July 5, 2013

The best animated of all time, in my opinion!

This is one of the best movies I have EVER seen! This movie far exceeds the first film. Gru has gone from villain to anit-villain and shows his vulnerable side. So many interesting twists and turns! The end is tear-jerking and hilarious all at the same time! There is drama, mystery, and intrigue! Brilliant! Would pay to see it again and will be buying the DVD when released! It held my 9 yr old daughter's attention which is key because she is Autistic!
Parent Written byTrishBarnes August 29, 2013

What about the drugged date sequence?

In this movie, Gru goes on a date with a woman who looks and talks like a stereotypical 'valley girl' or, let's just say it, an adult-film actress. Gru's movie love interest shoots the woman with a tranquilizer dart (!) and then she and Gru take the unconscious woman home by lacing her to the top of their car, after first shoving her around. The filmmakers don't miss a chance to show the woman's rear in the air during this disturbing slapstick that makes a woman's body the 'butt' of the joke. This came just a few months after the Ohio case. It doesn't matter to me that the targeted woman was rendered unconscious by another woman. Nor that we were introduced to her as an unlikable character. It does matter to me that the laughs were calculated to come at her expense and had sexual undertones.
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byfastraxsg August 19, 2013

family movie night

a perfect family film that is funny, exciting and very entertaining! great for friday movie nights for a good laugh! it also teaches a valuable lesson about family. definitely amust-check-out movie for the entire family.
Parent of an infant, 6, and 8 year old Written byMomma comma July 16, 2013

Must see, great sequel

This is a must see for all ages. I took my 2 oldest and they loved it. Do pause and watch it with your kids. If are infants or 4 yo, they may get scared. The rest is a spoiler alert. Just warning you. The minions turn purple and because they are such favorites, it may scare kids even though it turns out okay. It does have sexy stuff because Margo goes out on a date, and Gru goes on an " awful date". They never show any good dates of his but they do mention he went on 147 dates then they show his wedding day. They also have a very positive message about fathers and if you or your spouse is about to have a remarriage, steps. Role models are also things I spotted. This is great even for you and your spouse.
Educator and Parent Written bymamac3 March 20, 2014

Great Family Movie

This was reviewed by my 10 year old son. Wow, I loved the film it had great choices on the actors and actress. It was a funny movie even thou the minions turn into purple monsters they turn back in to cute yellow minions later on. The movie is about a recruited spy from the Anti-Villain League to stop a criminal at Paradise Mall that has a liquid called PX14 that would turn minions into monsters. This has lots of laughs and would be a good choice for family movie night.
Educator Written byVeraLumina January 21, 2014

Sequel Schmequel...This One's a Winner!

How often does the entire family get to gather together to enjoy a feel-good, silly, fun-to-watch movie? Although there have been a plethora of great cartoons of late (Brave, Madagascar, etc.), Despicable Me 2 does a fine job with lots of buffoonery, first boyfriend "like" experience with the eldest daughter, saving the world from evil scientists, tender father/daughter moments, and most importantly, laughs galore with the Minions! Children and adults will delight in these creatures whose antics will turn this sequel from "meh," to "well worth the rental fee!" Yes, the plot devices are a tad hackneyed, but who cares when everyone is eating popcorn and laughing!