All parent member reviews for Despicable Me 2

Parent Written byNZmamoose July 2, 2013

Not the best message for kids

I took my 6 yr old, hesitantly, to this for a fund-raiser. There are some quite scary bits in it and she's been having nightmares every night since. She's also been role playing the violent parts. I know it's only cartoon violence, but I believe this promotes a message to children that I'd rather not endorse. I find it weird getting laughs from hurting others. There were boyfriend-girlfriend themes which were inappropriate for younger viewers (the teacher at school has been asking parents to stop allowing their kids to watch this type of thing, as they role play it back at school). I enjoyed the movie myself though because of the adult humour, but I think 9+yrs for this one.
Adult Written bycourtwork July 3, 2013

Great laughs for 8 or 9 and up

I like this movie. My husband and I laughed right along with our 10 year old. There are so many cleverly funny parts. The returning characters are the strongest: Gru, the minions, Agnes, the middle sister, and Dr. Nefario. There are some new characters who aren't quite as strong in my opinion. I love Kristen Wiig, but the character of Lucy is just OK for me. We didn't take our 6 year old, and I'm glad. As with most sequels, the ante is upped on violence, romance, and scariness. *Spoiler Alert* When the character of Lucy is introduced, she basically abducts Gru by force: tazering and smashing him into a car trunk, etc. It's supposed to be funny, but since we already love Gru and we don't yet know Lucy, I think this sequence might be confusing and upsetting for small kids. Later, she jokingly talks about how much she enjoyed doing it, which is weird. The minions become vibrating purple bad guys with giant teeth who eat everything they see, which is alarming for some small kids. I know my little one has a hard time digesting the previously funny cute good guys becoming a threat. I heard some distressed cries in the theater during this and some other climactic parts of the movie. The character of Margo, who is obviously still prepubescent, has a small romance with a boy in the mall. It's very tame, but delivers a message nonetheless. The boy is playing the cool guy who sweeps her off her feet (they sit at a table alone in his dad's restaurant and eat cookies) and he ultimately breaks her heart by flitting to another girl by the end of the movie. At the end she says, "boys stink" and Gru agrees. I don't like this portrayal for this age group (especially of boys). Boys are as innocent as girls at this age, if not more so; most are certainly not "players." Margo has a phone and is seen texting while in bed - it feels like the other girls are roughly the same age as in the original movie, but Margo is suddenly a teenager. Also in the romance department, Gru ultimately falls in love with Lucy, who admittedly evolves into a loving character, who cares for the authentic Gru. The character of the villain protagonist is colorful, but becomes big and scary at one point. All in all, we enjoyed the film. There are good conversations that can be had with slightly older kids about the aforementioned elements. I recommend this movie for parents with kids 8 or 9 and up, possibly younger, depending on your child.
Educator and Parent Written byranc January 20, 2014

Yuck.

I was stunned by the level of violence in this movie and am not surprised to read the attached parent's reviews describing many examples of children screaming in cinemas and resulting nightmares. I'm a parent and also a child psychologist who is very concerned about the level and effects of media violence on young developing minds - really, we need to stop and think about what we're feeding our children as entertainment. We watched this movie on Xmas day at a relative's house and I finished watching it feeling incredibly sad. Sad that this level of violence has become normalised to the point that it's made its way into the cinemas and homes with very little questioning as to its suitability for children. Hollywood makes it so must be alright yes? I popped onto this site this morning to see your review, and when I saw your "Best" and "Worst" lists, went straight to the "Worst" as that's where I assumed you would have listed it! How disappointing to find that not only was your review peppered with adjectives like "sweet", "cute" "irresistible" "hilarious", but you'd put it in the Best of 2013 list. A "minions filled adventure for the entire family", "violence is cartoonish and silly but does include biological weapons and a taser gun". But what is "silly" to an adult reviewer is very different to a child and this is what this website is meant to be geared towards - helping parents make sensible choices for their children. This movie features non stop violence, murder, beatings, assaults. Why does it being in cartoon form negate that? Beyond that it involves episodes of characters becoming inebriated, one to the point of passing out, an overtly sexualised "date" who is drugged and assaulted while passed out and being driven home (presumably OK because she's been cast in the role of bimbo?). And when did pole-dancing become normalised into mainstream children's media? But because it's all "cute" and "silly", it's OK? I can't even remember what else, loads of other stuff that had me clawing the sofa. I'd be interested to see a content analysis on this movie re amounts of acts of violence per minute. It was non-stop, unnecessary and gratuitous. What concerns me is that we now seem to rate effects of violence on what kids "can handle" rather than what's "good for them" (don't take your 5 year old because they'll scream the cinema down, but your 7 year old will probably just get freaked out a bit)? Yes, I can make the choice not to view this stuff, but as a professional in the area I also feel a responsibility to speak up. Surely as parents and educators, our focus should be on nurturing our children's minds, helping them flourish and develop as socially and emotionally intelligent, caring and empathic human beings. I'm not suggesting we wrap them up in cotton wool. Violence and aggression are a very real part of this world and in the context of news, media etc are valid .. for an audience who's brains are sufficiently mature and need the information to make sensible choices for their families. However, the adults I know don't watch the news each night with a bowl of popcorn and fizzy drink, slapping their thighs and cracking up each time a story shows murder, assault or other acts of extreme violence. Yet this is exactly what we're showing to our children as a comedic, laugh a minute entertainment device??? Their natural response to it is aversive (younger kids screaming), yet we adults TEACH them that this is all just good fun. I think we'd do well as a society to stop and think about that for a moment. Underneath all this horror and violence that was terrifying the younger children there were messages of family and love and relationships - great! But this message can still be built into a fantastic story without all the nastiness - or at the very least, with it drastically reduced. Disappointed in the movie, even more disappointed about this positive "best of" review on this website.
Parent Written bymama2review July 10, 2013

Not for young ones!

We went to see this with our 4 year old and 6 year old and had to leave when the minions turned purple. My 6 year old was so disturbed by the fact that the purple minion was trying to eat the little girl he was shaking. If this had been a regular movie with that kind of horror scene it would have been R rated. Little kids can't process that kind of violence and don't understand that it will all turn out ok in the end. My 6 year old is still having nightmares. There is A LOT of romantic innuendo in this movie that really turned us off too, both between Gru and his partner Lucy, as well as between the oldest little girl and a little boy. The childhood romance stuff was overkill and seemed really inappropriate. I realize this movie is rated PG so perhaps this content is ok for that rating, but I know some parents take the chance to take younger kids to PG movies (esp. as the original one wasn't so bad) so am sharing our experience to give them a heads up. Hope to help!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMee_Maw July 7, 2013

Sweet story, adorable characters, but why beat up the bad date?

The girls want a mom and encourage Gru to date. At one point, he's "fixed up." The date is overtly sexy, talks too much, is obviously designed to be seen as "bad." At one point she gets poked in the bottom by a syringe of some "knock-out stuff," and passes out. The whole process of getting her out of the restaurant is awful. Her head is caught between the doors, she gets slammed and banged into things, is driven home on top of the car - all the while looking ridiculous because she's unconscious. I guess I'm getting old, but it wasn't funny to me; it was actually disturbing. And it was an odd message to send to kids. Not even sure about the message... Women who aren't sweet and charming deserve to be treated badly? Is that possible?? Or if someone is unconscious, it's okay to throw them around and make them look silly? I'd be interested to know how other adults perceived this scene, and if their kids mentioned it. I was with my daughter and 6-yr-old grandson. Neither of them seemed bothered by it.
Parent Written byTrishBarnes August 29, 2013

What about the drugged date sequence?

In this movie, Gru goes on a date with a woman who looks and talks like a stereotypical 'valley girl' or, let's just say it, an adult-film actress. Gru's movie love interest shoots the woman with a tranquilizer dart (!) and then she and Gru take the unconscious woman home by lacing her to the top of their car, after first shoving her around. The filmmakers don't miss a chance to show the woman's rear in the air during this disturbing slapstick that makes a woman's body the 'butt' of the joke. This came just a few months after the Ohio case. It doesn't matter to me that the targeted woman was rendered unconscious by another woman. Nor that we were introduced to her as an unlikable character. It does matter to me that the laughs were calculated to come at her expense and had sexual undertones.
Parent Written byCathieQ July 7, 2013

Very disappointing sequel!

Our family loved the first Despicable Me, it's one of our favorite movies and we've watched it over and over. I was really disappointed by #2. Was no-one else bothered by the fact that Gru's love interest looks anorexic? I could barely stand to look at her she was so thin. The film-makers missed a real opportunity to actually come up with a fun and atypical heroine, so she's nothing special. Margo's love interest isn't interesting either. Even the villain is stereotypical and boring -- we loved Vector in the first movie, a brilliant play on the type of person that secretly annoys everyone. Even more disappointing is that the movie drags along towards the end. There is no real plot, only vignettes. These are definitely funny, and children/parents will enjoy the laughs. Despicable Me 2 is entertaining but overall the movie isn't nearly as clever, unexpected, or memorable as the first one.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 9 year old Written byenapeters July 5, 2013

Great for older kids, too intense for the little ones

My nine year old and eight year old were fine, but my five year old spent the whole movie in my lap. The minions becoming bad guys was too much for him, and I thought the part where the bunny turns into a purple monster and kills the scientist was really inappropriate for a kid's movie.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bycaribbeandream July 8, 2013

This could have been a really good movie, but it fails in many little ways

This could have been a really good movie. It's not a horrible movie, but it fails in many little ways. First, let's start with the awful ethnic stereotypes that are El Macho and Mr. Wong. Then let's add the older daugther falling in love with a boy who isn't even old enough to drive yet is depicted as a "player." And for the cherry on top, take a whole buch of YouTube trailers made to maximize the LOL moments and then paste them together w/o any though to having a coherent plot. If you are OK with all of this, then by all means go watch DM2.
Parent Written byIndigoDingo March 23, 2015

Scary, violent, inappropriate

I agree with many of the other reviews here, and am disappointed that I couldn't rely on the Common Sense overview - which I have come to trust! Why no mention of the big scary purple monster? A full screen of fangs and roaring is definitely too much for younger or sensitive viewers - I would have expected a heads up from this site. Sexuality, the disturbing drugging and disposal of the female date, general mock violence all really made this not as much fun as I expected. Had to stop the dvd at the monster part, but would have liked to earlier!
Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written byMrsAllnut July 20, 2013

Predictable and occasionally appalling

While I liked most of this film and found it rather harmless, silly fun, there are stereotypes of Mexicans that should give pause as well as stereotypes of busy-body suburban moms that I found annoying and not integral to the story. In one scene, Gru is on a date with a woman who is a mishmash of bored housewife who spends all her time exercising; she is shot with an animal tranquilizer and while they carry her out, her head is bashed in sliding doors, she's crammed into a car, and ultimately ends up strapped to the car roof and dumped on her porch. With several high profile cases in the news of young women being drugged or drunk and having their bodies abused without their knowledge, this entire scene made me cringe and want to leave the theater. I spoke to my two girls later and they hadn't seen the point of the character and the scene, but we ended up in a long conversation about the dangers of drinking and possibly being drugged. I was quite uncomfortable with the scene. I'm ashamed of the studio for promoting that as comedy. Otherwise, the movie was passable, but nowhere near the brilliance of the original. We predicted most of the plot well before the film; little children will get a kick out of the minions but my girls (12 and 16) were bothered that Gru didn't seem to care/ notice that many of his minions went missing, which is atypical of the character. Lots of slapstick, a few fart jokes, and predictable plot.
Educator and Parent Written bymamac3 March 20, 2014

Great Family Movie

This was reviewed by my 10 year old son. Wow, I loved the film it had great choices on the actors and actress. It was a funny movie even thou the minions turn into purple monsters they turn back in to cute yellow minions later on. The movie is about a recruited spy from the Anti-Villain League to stop a criminal at Paradise Mall that has a liquid called PX14 that would turn minions into monsters. This has lots of laughs and would be a good choice for family movie night.
Parent Written bySam Donder January 2, 2014

DE 2 is very cute, funny, and clever. With extremely funny minions.

This series is by far the best movie series right now that is meant for younger kids because it will be thoroughly enjoyed by both young kids, teens, and adults. There is very little inappropriate content, some romance between leading characters and scary scenes where minions get kidnapped and Lucy is a hostage of el macho. The minions in this movie are incredible funny and will provide laughs throughout. The purple minions might scare kids, so that is why this movie might be too much for little kids.Lucy is a very strong female role and there are very important messages about the importance of family. Overall this is a must see movie no matter if you have young kids or not.
Parent Written byMamaMia33 December 29, 2013

Not for age group intended

I am pretty shocked by the level of violence in this movie and am quite disappointed in myself for not going to the common sense reviews before turning it on for my 7 year old. He kept asking me "does anyone die in this movie?" And made me check the internet over his anxiousness. He also was very uncomfortable with all of the totally unnecessary romantic stuff. I mean way too much adult stuff going on this one. Not even sure what age would be right just know 7 is not.
Parent of an infant, 6, and 8 year old Written byShannon-Smith family November 30, 2013

I am momma comma, but can't login again

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bymammabubbybear August 6, 2013

Too scary

My husband and I thought it was cute and funny. My 7 year old was a little bothered by the purple minions. My 5 year old was absolutely terrified. He has had weeks of nightmares and has been very clingy. If you have kids that are sensitive to scary stuff, skip this one until they are older.
Educator and Parent Written bylanwenyi July 17, 2013

Too Scary for Young Kids

It was an okay movie, but not as good as the first one. However, I disagree with the description on the main page of "mild peril". The scenes of the minions changing were terrifying (read: "young children throughout the theatre were screaming at the top of their lungs and my children had nightmares"). This movie is much too scary for young children in the theatre. My children are nearly 6 and just turned 4 and both were freaked (my 4yo was one of the screamers). While my children were able to be calmed, many parents had to take their screaming children out of the theatre. This movie is more appropriate for older children, teens, and adults. There were plenty of funny bits, and sweet parts, etc, but it was far too scary for young children.
Parent Written bycastlerockmom July 11, 2013

Liberal Garbage

I think there was way too much liberal garbage stuffed into this movie! Nudity, excessive potty humor, cross dressing, pretend beer party, shooting family members with jam-filled artillery (but it looked like footage from violent video game shoot em ups), date violence (cloaked in "silly" accident after accident, but then followed up with violation of physical respect for an unconscious date), way too much kid dating and romance for a kids' movie. They pretty much ruined this cool franchise. The whole feel of it was just way off from the first movie. I wish we'd just left when it became surprisingly uncomfortable. Of course the kids didn't get most of it when I asked them what they thought, but it's just one more movie aimed at desensitizing kids while entertaining parents with the more subtle humor. However, they really turned off the parents that I was there with on this one because they geared it toward very liberal party-animal type parents which we are not.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy July 8, 2013

Even better than the first.

I loved the first one too, but I found this one to be even better. The Minions were hilarious as ever, I loved the "tortilla chip hat" joke, and it was so so so so so funny when Lucy was thinking about Gru, because everyone on the plane looked like Gru. I got a HUGE kick out of this movie.
Educator and Parent Written byJenniferLynn July 5, 2013

The best animated of all time, in my opinion!

This is one of the best movies I have EVER seen! This movie far exceeds the first film. Gru has gone from villain to anit-villain and shows his vulnerable side. So many interesting twists and turns! The end is tear-jerking and hilarious all at the same time! There is drama, mystery, and intrigue! Brilliant! Would pay to see it again and will be buying the DVD when released! It held my 9 yr old daughter's attention which is key because she is Autistic!