Parent reviews for Dolittle

Not the king of the jungle, but still cute; some peril/guns.

Adult Written byAmadeusAmadeur January 18, 2020

Really good potential, but...

I saw this with my kids, 5 and 7.

Here is what I liked:
- The talent - Robert Downey Jr et al.
- The story
- The visual effects

Those were really great. I don't think i need to explain why.

Here is what ruined it: The script.

This film had so much potential with so much going for it. But the reaches for cheap laughs were cringeworthy.

Jokes about balls (or "berries")
Lots of butt jokes
A character screaming "I'm gonna tear you a new a-" then quickly cuts away. Not exactly kid-friendly.
And then the big climax of the film, what saves the day, is the doctor clearing a "blockage" from the dragon. From his butt. He pulls all sorts of garbage from the dragon's butt. How is this funny or thrilling or entertaining? Viewers will be too young to understand what's happening, or too old to think it's funny.

This kind of "humor" is what will keep me from allowing my kids to watch it again.

There were truly funny parts where my kids laughed their heads off, and there were parts where my kids got bored.

I was disappointed with the camera work as well.... It bounced around a lot, and I think it would have been better to spend time on a character and let the actors shine. Sort of like Pirates of the Caribbean.

Because of the script that devalued the epic adventure vibe, this was more like Pirates of the Poop Jokes.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byMadMu5icJunky January 20, 2020

For the young...

After the epic, emotional previews that we'd seen over and over and over again, we were expecting the 'adventure of a lifetime!'
As an adult, I didn't fall asleep. Many of the jokes were gotten, they were just so blatantly not funny. They reminded me of when my kids were 4 or 5, and I could simply make a fart noise and they'd crack up!
This is at an intellectual level of a 4 to 8 year old. So, as long as you go in there bearing that in mind, you'll be fine. Your kids will love it, and you won't mind being there for it. But, this will be one of those movies that will get forgotten about. Downey did a good job creating a new character for himself, so you'll enjoy (maybe) watching that. This one lies between a Backyardigan adventure and Pirates of the Carribean; while being a smidge closer to Backyardigans...

SEXY STUFF: ZERO!
VIOLENCE: Cartoony; 2/5
Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: ZERO (that I remember)
Swearing: ZERO (that I remember)

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byAlexa W. January 19, 2020

Great movie

This was a great movie with heart and comedy. It had great themes and positive messages.
In the beginning a squirrel is shot, but doesn’t die, this put me on the edge.
No swearing, very little violence.

Adult Written byNassim M January 16, 2020

Fun and Beautiful

It was a fun movie, with a strange sense of humour that really worked. My daughter and I laughed a lot. It had a lot of pure love for animals and it was a joy to watch RDJ be awesome on screen.

Adult Written byWhen you rate s... January 21, 2020

IT IS BY FAR TERRIBLE

Anything that has moving animals and a story that seemed like it could have been written by a five year old no one should be able to watch this. It's a movie with so much flaws that its unbearable to watch as an adult, but since their is moving animals any kid could be entertained what so ever. I don't clearly understand who in the world would like this. It's a movie where it makes Jack and Jill Look good

Adult Written byHolly R. February 12, 2020

Not nostalgia blind; 1998 film is BETTER...

This adaptation is absolutely terrible. Watch the Eddy Murphy one instead... It's funnier than this one and it had a couple of sequels... This one is not funny at all and it already looks dated in terms of CGI.
Parent of a 6 and 7-year-old Written byDale Dietrich March 17, 2020

Great Graphics, Poor Story

Well, we got through this one! It's a rare movie by RDJ that I didn't like. The production values are top notch but the story and acting are poor! Our whole family enjoyed the Eddie Murphy movies A LOT! All of us were BORED by this one. My 6 year old daughter stayed attentive but it lost my almost 8 year old boy's attention! I'm not quite sure why we even bothered to finish it since we ALL found it boring. But we did. Avoid this one. Go get the Eddie Murphey ones.
Parent of a 13-year-old Written bynscharn55 March 11, 2020

I honestly didnt hate it

Not quite as bad as critics are calling it, fun enough. It's got a few thickly hidden innuendos and adult jokes, but otherwise is pretty much your common live-action kids movie.

Adult Written bySeasonedParent February 20, 2020

Fairly entertaining for all the family!

We went (2 adults, one 15yo and one 7yo) as a family and all enjoyed this one. We might not watch it again for a while, but it was enjoyable! I liked the scenery and the Victorian era clothing. My 7 year old loved the story and was engaged the whole time (except for the inevitable toilet visit!) and my husband and eldest child seemed to enjoy it too, both coming out happier than they went in. Would definitely recommend for an outing or a night in when it comes out on streaming services/DVD.

There are a few briefly violent moments, which may upset very sensitive children, and there might have been some very soft rude words, I’m not sure. Some mild (hetero) romance themes.

All in all a good film, a much closer to the original remake (although I do love Eddy Murphy too!).

Adult Written byChinzerama February 20, 2020

Brilliant movie!

I don't understand all the terrible reviews this film has been given. It was a delight from start to finish. We went to see it with children of age 8, 10 and 13 and grandparents too. All agreed they loved it and that they couldn't wait for it to come out on DVD so they can see it again!
Adult Written byProudRaven'sClaw February 10, 2020

It's Adventure Time with Dolittle and Friends

If you're ready for an action packed adventure, then pack your bags and join Dr. Dolittle, (Robert Downey jr) Stubbins (Harry Collet), and their amazing animal friends on a daring voyage to save the day. Its a great movie for the whole family. It has action, comedy, and violence ( guns, swords, cannons, fighting, and the like). If you like the cast of Harry Potter then youll like cast of Dolittle:Jim Broadbent, Emma Thompson, Ralph Fiennes, and Frances de la Tour. Close around the end of the movie, in the cave the dragon kind of looks like she spits or vomits on a couple of people, she only does it twice and its only a little bit and its a kind of red instead of your average spit/vomit color, but its nice to have a little heads up. Also the dragon does kill a soldier but its only an assumption you dont actually she her eat him, there's another assumption with bats in the credits. There's also a woman butchering a chicken at Stubbins's Aunt and Uncle's house.
Adult Written bymovieman48 February 7, 2020

You can't compensate for a lousy script

It doesn't matter how many special effects this CGI world can generate, if the script is lousy the movie stinks. This script is ultra-lousy and despite the wondrous animals brought to life the movie stinks with the stench of incompetent script writing and hack direction. Robert Downey Jr is hopeless with a dreadful mock-Welsh accent and the two young people in the movie vie with each other for charmlessness. Even the villains are poorly done. The only good thing is there is plenty of action to keep the kids amused. It did my 9 year-old. But for this old campaigner the end came as a blessed relief!
Adult Written byC77 February 1, 2020

Good for older kids

The humor of this movie was very engaging, and the animals were fun to watch. We really enjoyed this as a family, and thought the effects were also very well done.
Adult Written byct_12 January 27, 2020

CMS said this said the d—m word
Although I did not hear it in the movie

Adult Written bylpetlock January 26, 2020

Disappointing. Not what it could have been. Lip-syncing seemed off.

Disappointing. Not what it could have been. Lip-syncing seemed off.

Adult Written byRiia Rottman January 23, 2020
Adult Written byayreid60 January 20, 2020

Doolittle

I liked the movie, it was charming and funny. It wasn't what I expected but then no one could come close to the original with Rex Harrison or with Eddie Murphy. The animal's were actually voiced very well. My favorites were the squirrel, gorilla and the polar bear. It is a very good movie for children of all ages.