Parent reviews for Double Indemnity

Double Indemnity Poster Image

Double Film-Noir!

With overtones of moral failure that almost make you remorse on behalf of the protagonist, undertones of lust, crackling dialogue that's as cynical as it's extremely classy and sharp-witted, a grim atmosphere of impending doom created by the stunning black-and-white photography, it's safe to say that my first Billy Wilder has all the trademarks of film-noir. That said, I wouldn't be wrong in saying that this film is kinda subversive; only on its own terms. In saying that, I mean that the jaw-dropping nuances Wilder has sizzled this film with, and the painstaking attention to details gave Double Indemnity unique taste, and made it stand out from all the films of its kind. Giving away the plot synopsis usually tarnishes the experience of watching your typical film noir because the toughness of them are their small details, let alone doing so with this one in addition to explaining why I find the subtlety of it so mesmerizing. Watch Double Indemnity and you’ll know what I mean straight away! Alas, It seems that this very meticulous attention to detail came at the expense of making the most important the most crucial moments and the turning points convincing. The academic nature of the film's plotting made a lot of decisive moments a bit hard to swallow. It also made the movie drag, surprisingly, at what should have been the most intriguing part. All the performances here are fine, but it's Edward G. Robinson who steals the show for me. He plays the quick-witted, determined investigator, Barton Keyes, who may be a bit too smart and clever to be believable; but thanks to Robinson's fierce performance, Keyes hands down is my favorite character in the movie. Double Indemnity is an extremely well-crafted moody crime film that transcends the nature of its plotting with an unprecedented, unmatched, unsurpassable subtlety that made the main characters lifelike, and made the story thought-provoking in the first place. It raised the bar and set the standard for film-noir making at its time, and continues to inspire every neo-noir film, nay every crime film to this day. (8.5/10)

Excellent but dark. 14+

High school type of film

I really liked Double Indemnity, it's a work of genius, it takes the aspects of film noir and times them by 10, which is one of the reasons it is such an important part of noir history. It's based off the book that was written by by Cain, but at the time Cain was already working for a film studio, so Chandler, who wrote "The Big Sleep" worked with Billy Wilder to create the script for the film. They hated each other though, but it produced a wonderful movie nonetheless. The movie "Double Indemnity" takes the dark lighting to the extreme so that there are scenes where it is hard to see what is happening, but never too dark that you can't see at all. There isn't any violence or sex, but it is implied, you never actually see anything. It is fairly clean, but the story behind it is definitely for young adults, and not for children. I saw it in my Senior noir class a few weeks ago and, to quote my teacher, it is the "quintessential film noir".
not rated for age

Pretty cool

I think this movie was based on a book, im not sure but it must have been a killer story! I love how the story unfolds, but surly not a young childeren movie, 13+ i say.