Kid reviews for Double Indemnity

Double Indemnity Poster Image

It's a CLASSIC

I was heavily exposed to old movies at a very young age so I watched this when I was 8 or 9 and I thought it was an amazing movie. I read a review saying this movie's for 18+, and are you kidding me?? There is NOTHING innapropriate about this movie!! This is a movie from before the late 60s, and almost no movies from that time period are innapropriate as they had to be cleared first. It's an amazing crime movie that is definitely one of the Top 30 best movies of all time!

Kudos to Billy Wilder

As I constantly watch movies, new and old, my favorite is often changing. However, as I write this review, Double Indemnity is my all-time favorite. *Spoilers Follow - Read at Your Own Risk* I discovered this movie when I was looking through lists of suggested movies; its subject matter - Walter Neff (Fred MacMurray), insurance agent, falls for Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck), a woman who wants to kill her husband (Tom Powers) and get the insurance money - intrigued me, and I rented it off Netflix. I had high expectations, and they were thoroughly exceeded. As stated earlier, Walter falls for Phyllis, but instead of sobering up to the fact that she wants to murder her husband, he instead volunteers to assist. After the awful deed is done, a man at Walter's insurance company (played by Edward G. Robinson) gets a funny feeling about the murder and begins to investigate. Parents should know that the subject matter is a bit dark for kids under 12; Walter and Phyllis are trying to kill Phyllis' husband, after all, which most kids wouldn't understand unless they are mature enough. However, if you are 12+, I cannot recommend this great film highly enough.

The noir that broke the mold!

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and then I watched the special feature to it...and then I LOVED it. The detail made into this film, with its shadowy cinematography, crackerjack dialogue that inspires writers like myself leaves you with a renewed love for old Hollywood noirs like this one, featuring two strong anchoring leads and a refreshingly non-gangster role for Cagney! Movie buffs need to know this is a must-see!

best for young teens and up

This is Billy Wilder's first big movie and it's fantastic. It's dark and suspenseful. You wish that Fred MacMurray's character hadn't getten himself into the things he did because he seems like a nice guy. There are great plot twists. Barbara Stanwyck. Edward G Robinson and Fred MacMurray deliver great performances.