Parent reviews for Downton Abbey

Gorgeous drama will thrill longtime fans of the show.

Parent of a 11 and 14-year-old Written bynoejacks September 22, 2019

Worth the Long Wait & Great for Families!

Well worth the long wait! We attended as a family with our sons (ages almost 12 and 14). Our older had watched some of the original series with us while our younger had not. Both found the movie entertaining and easy to follow, regardless. Nicely done subplots--including one with a big "reveal." I was worried that our almost 12-year-old might find it a bit dry but he definitely did not and laughed along with everyone else (mostly at Mosely's antics!). However, I do think that he is probably at the minimum age to fully enjoy this movie and it may have been too mature for him even a year ago. There were also positive messages around teamwork, family loyalty, homosexual relationships, the changing role of fathers, and the importance of righting past wrongs. It was a bit of a let down when the movie ended, as I was enjoying it so much. That said, the director did a good job of tying up most of the loose ends while leaving the door open for a future movie (please!).

Adult Written byAngi365 September 18, 2019

Really good movie

Awesome cast and amazing LGBT messages

Adult Written bySupermd September 22, 2019

A Movie for the senses!

The movie is truly BEAUTIFUL!
Fan or not, movie goers can't help but notice the artful cinematic beauty of this film. Like a painted landscape by Van Gosh or Monet, the rolling hills of the countryside surrounding the Manson at Downton Abby speaks to your soul. In fact, everything you see has a massive effect on the senses. The costumes. the now classic cars, not to mention the silver that sits so elegantly on the oak dining tables. All the little detailing that describes this wonderful world of manners.
A time when a persons' reputation was as important as their money and a time when people were proud of their station in life. Even those who serve the upper class took extreme pride in what they did. A sentiment today that is long lost.
For me, this movie was more about the senses than the plot. The way you feel when you see the love within the families of all classes of people and how they come together as one family is more satisfying than any savvy or complicated plot!
You are moved by the visuals and the music, the smiles and the reactions on the faces of the characters to the day's events.
If you want to think about the plot, I'd say this movie was about the day the Royals came to visit.
But more importantly, this movie is intended to move you! To make you take notice of everything you see. To make you think about how all of it made you feel.
How it made you laugh or smile or cry.....
I loved it!
Parent of a 11 and 12-year-old Written byA P. September 24, 2019

If you think this would hold your kids' interest, take them!

In a million years, my boys (ages 10 & 13) would not be interested in this -- it's too sedate compared to the Marvel thrillers they enjoy. But if I thought it would hold their interest, I would take them in a heartbeat. It would be fun to talk about how much times have changed, why people felt so strongly about the monarchy (a foreign concept to us), why there were such terrible attitudes toward gay men, etc.

This movie is very satisfying for Downton Abbey fans--if your kids enjoyed the show, then there is nothing to worry about in this movie. For most kids, however, I can't imagine this movie is much of a draw. More appropriate as an outing for parents to enjoy with friends!

Adult Written byMadameMeow September 23, 2019

Movie keeps story true to heart!

The continued story of the Crawleys, their children and friends is as if the series never ended on TV. We see they have aged, with the lines around Cora's mouth as she smiles demurely, and the grandchildren running and playing; all done with style. The witty remarks of the Dowager are laughable and fun; and her going head to head with someone besides Violet was refreshing. Throw in the thrill of Tom, the Irish widow, saving the day by saving the King of England, and you have 100% of a great English drama!

Adult Written byDaveG99 September 23, 2019

Pro reviewers missed the mark on Downton Abbey

After reading NYT review of DA - which was as severe a putdown as one sees in that publication - we were almost persuaded to take a pass on this film.

What they missed out was that many of the lines could have been written by Noel Coward, the master of farce and over-the-top dialog designed to get a laugh. And the audience did in the matinee performance we attended.

It did fade back to its TV progenitor by the end, but was well worth the ride into a Baron Sacha Cohen-like take on the British royalty of the 1920s.

Not for the kiddees - they'd be bored out of their minds. If you like British farce, you'll love DA the movie.
Adult Written byLEG01 September 21, 2019

Finally The Wait Is Over

I've waited four years for this film to finally open...and it didn't disappoint at all. There are no special effects to carry the film only great actors with a phenomenal script. The period piece has moments of joy, comedy, and don't forget to bring a tissue or three.

Adult Written byHuntgreg1921 September 19, 2019

Excellent

Good feel factor
Parent Written byJennifer K. April 24, 2020
Parent of a 5, 10, and 10-year-old Written bysilwuttke March 26, 2020

DOWNTOWN ABBEY

CSM SHOULD PUT FOR VIOLENCE AT LEAST 2/5! They missed that in the movie there is an attempt to kill the king!

Adult Written byKyten January 6, 2020

A fitting film

Watched the series and movie with my family. Everyone loved it. Saw it in theater and now at home
Adult Written byEllieKarena December 29, 2019

Downton Tabby

For those tabbies with greyed hair. Good at first for those who are Wombles but gets quite boring after the best characters get killed off.

Adult Written bySquark November 29, 2019

Beautiful lush presentation that is faithful to the TV series

I'll get one thing out of the way: I personally do not consider two men kissing to be "sex" or "homosexual activity". I felt that the description of "sex" being a major theme was totally wrong. There was no sex at all! That said, my two children under 10 watched this movie with us, with no issue at all, mainly because two men kissing is really quite normal and mainstream these days. Passionate kissing? I must have missed that, didn't seem any steamier than a straight couple, and certainly the PG rating is appropriate. Those who express shock obviously did not watch the original TV series. So for those of you who are wondering whether this movie has MORE adult themes than the original TV series, the answer is no. It actually has fewer adult themes than the TV. The actual presentation in 2.40:1 widescreen and beautiful 4K HDR with wide color gamut and exquisite lossless audio makes this a sumptuous movie.
Adult Written byElaine0 October 31, 2019

A great movie for any Downton lover

This movie is completely reliant on the television show, Downton Abbey, and they build on what has already been established in the show. I wouldn't suggest watching this movie (at any age) if you did not fully watch the original show.

With this understanding, the movie is relatively mild. There is no nudity, and very little drinking, violence, or sex. Overall it is more mild than the TV show. I would say most children would be fine watching the movie, though many young kids may have trouble following along.
Parent of a 12-year-old Written byHappy777 October 29, 2019

Great

I thought this was a lovely movie showing LGBT community and pride it also had some great messages.

Adult Written byLorikinney October 26, 2019

So Very Wonderful

"Downton Abbey" was a long awaited breath of fresh air. For those of us who had long since fallen in love with these characters, to see them gathered together, in their beloved estate, preparing for the King and Queen no less, was nothing short of splendid eloquence.

The movie showed our family, each one, still growing and developing; adapting to their new post war world. There are several story lines that are new. There is illness, but it's secret; there is a couple of budding relationships; Mary is going to soldier on to keep Downton Abbey flourishing; I truly feel there are at least 2 sequels to this movie, if not another 2 to 3 seasons!

If this was the end of Downton Abbey,. they are missing a tremendous opportunity. I choose to remain hopeful!

Adult Written byDominicus October 11, 2019

Masterful!

The pomp of royalty is in full display, and so are its sour counter-currents.
Merit, wit, humour, love, commitment, justice, underdogs, all prevail.
Will hold your attention throughout.

Adult Written bymovieman48 October 7, 2019

Good for Abbey Fans

Fans of Downton Abbey will love this movie. For the rest of us we will find a well done 'upstairs / downstairs' drama which is quite predictable and completely undemanding.
Adult Written byONTHERUNMOVIES September 20, 2019
Adult Written byShirley Z. September 20, 2019

A hug for Downton Abbey fans

The film won't mean as much if you haven't seen the television drama.
But it will still be entertaining. We're back in the house of the Crawley
family as they prepare to welcome the king and queen of England
for an overnight stay. A foiled attempt on the King's life is the weakest
plot line. Otherwise, the film has all of the beautiful people, clothes,
sets and majesty that fans will crave and a tidy ending that feels like a hug from the producers.