All parent member reviews for Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Adult Written bysuzylowry December 22, 2009

I love the Grinch and still won't miss it even at age 47!
Parent Written bymyab October 14, 2010

Great Message in a Short Film

This is a not to miss movie in our house every Christmas. The Grinch goes from looking and acting like the "eel" the famous song describes him as, to a happier, more gentle Grinch when he realizes that the Who's joy isn't monetary, it's spiritual. What a lovely sentiment! Plus, poor Max's dash down the mountain as a "reindeer" still makes us laugh. FYI, he isn't run over by the sleigh, but more slides under it when the sleigh overtakes him downhill.
Adult Written bynduns February 24, 2010

Okay, what is up with the overall scores?

At first, I thought maybe people who didn't grow up during the 50's-90's just didn't realize what made this such a great classic, but no, this is something I have noticed with the site in general now. Something is seriously wrong with their overall scores because I see nothing but positive reviews for this widely appreciated classic and yet kid reviews has an average score of 1 star... how?
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byCeltic1962 April 21, 2011

Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Adult Written byjes April 9, 2008

I love this show and have been watching since I was a little girl with my parents and younger brother now me and my little girl watch it every year and will continue to I just love it and so does she.
Adult Written byLowe's man August 2, 2014

One of the best and so finely narrated.

Whose heart won't be warmed up when they see how The Grinch changed his ways and developed a big heart? All he needed was love. And that he received from the Whos. The Whos were amazingly forgiving as well, as they let The Grinch carve the roast beast. (He did a fine job at carving, I might add.) He was really a changed creature when he got the acceptance he seemed to so desperately need. This cartoon shows the true meaning of Christmas as well- it's not about presents, but it comes right from the heart. It's about being together. This broadcast is made even better by the fine narration of Boris Karloff. Some (but not all) children under 4 will find parts of this special frightening, but by the time they're 4 they won't be frightened anymore.
Parent Written bytreat02 December 24, 2012

A very good movie!

I think this is a great story, and it's about someone (just more of in a fun-kiddish way) who finds they can be good and nice just like someone else. The Grinch learns all about how being good can make you feel good. The only thing I can think of to be "scary" or "worrying" to kids is that the Grinch will come and take THEIR things (very small children, of course). Still, even if that does happen (very unlikely) the Grinch is good, and gives everything back and he won't do it again. This is why I like this movie, and it can do a lot for everyone!
Parent of a 9, 12, 15, and 18 year old Written bycheval85 December 18, 2012

Great!

I love this movie! It is great and shows the real spirit of Christmas. Christmas isn't about ribbons, it's not about tags, it's not about packages, boxes or bags! What if Christmas doesn't come from the store, maybe Christmas means a little bit more.
Parent of a 2 and 2 year old Written bymamamolly January 19, 2012

Too scary for my two year olds.

I have great memories of this show and rented it for my boys (2.75 years old twins). They watch a half hour of TV per day (usually blues clues, mickey, or thomas), so I thought they could handle this. While they do like the book, the movie/show was just too much for them, (well for one of them), who was a bit scared of the grinch. He kept asking "why the grinch mean?" I don't think he was scarred for life or anything, but I wouldn't recommend it for two year olds as a result. Edited to add: A year later, at age 3.5 they really like it and it was no longer scary-- it helps that they've read the book a few times and know that the grinch will eventually be nice-- it made the mean grinch period easier to bear.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bykyogert May 3, 2010

Classic - even for little ones.

This is a favorite in our house. The book, the soundtrack, and the movie are regulars, even though our daughter only watches 1 or 2 shows a week (on weekend mornings). She requests the music from the movie throughout the week, too. She seems to slide right over the taking presents thing and the dog falling, and waits for the end when the Grinch gets "happy," and everyone sings.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bycelinac January 25, 2010

Adult Written byTemplar314 December 23, 2009

I wish I had more hands so I could give a greater number of thumbs up

Never gets old.