All parent member reviews for Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat

Educator and Parent Written byMommyLove4Ever May 13, 2011
I HATE IT! I think Dr. Suess would roll over in his grave with this movie. It's a shame that a classic children's book has been made into garbage. Shame on Mike Myers for participating in this production! I thought my 7th grade students would like it, but it should not be shown in a 7th grade classroom. It promotes cursing, has a beer brand clearly shown, and has way too many perverted and sexual inuendos. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR KIDS OF ANY AGE!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byadpace December 29, 2009
I sat down to watch this movie with my 6 year old and my 4 year old thinking a Dr. Seuss-based movie had to be great for the kids. I was so terribly wrong! Most of the nasty stuff went over my kids' heads (thankfully), but I almost turned it off anyway. It has so much crude humor, sexual references and language references that I could hardly believe this would be movie marketed to kids! I will never assume a movie is appropriate for my kids again regardless of how appropriate it may seem by the appearance. Personally, I wouldn't allow my kids to watch it even if they are bit older because there is very little positive I can say about it. Too much gratuitous junk in it. When I turn on a kid's movie, I expect it to be appropriate for them. :(
Adult Written byVix66 April 9, 2008

Not for my five year old

This movie only proved that I need to not trust the PG rating where my six year old is concerned, and need to do some research before I take him to a movie. A group of kids beat the Cat in the Hat with bats. The Cat in the Hat says "son of a ....". The Cat in the Hat takes aim at one child's head with said bat. The cat picks up a garden hoe and says "dirty ho". Then, just to further drive the point home for those of us who might have missed it, he calls it, "baby." This made my son look at me with wide-eyes. This is a terrible movie for any age. It's not funny even at an adult's level, and it's completely inappropriate for anyone under the age of 12, yet it doesn't have enough smarts or humor to keep anyone older than 8 interested. FLOP. I bet it'll make a ton of money.
Parent Written by4thgradeteacher November 3, 2011

Disapproving Teacher

I was celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday by showing this film during state testing week; as a break to us all. I could NOT believe all of the inappropriate remarks throughout this moving. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time as bad language and sexual induendoes rolled out of the mouth of Mike Myers. I had to explain to parents the reason why their children were coming home asking what a "dirty hoe'' was. They were asking me what it means. This is the 4th grade and they DO pick up on the "adult humor." I was SO disappointed that such a sweet children's book would be turned into a trashy film. The Grinch and Horton Hears a Who are SO much better.
Adult Written byrabbithilldays April 9, 2008

Horrible Movie

The Dreamworks people should be shot for what they did to Cat in the Hat. You can definitely tell that Dr. Seuss is dead. It made me furious to watch this movie. It was inane, offensive and bad, bad, bad.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written byRose Upstate NY November 3, 2009

I have never hated a movie till this one!

Even if you ignore the slaughter of a good book- this movie is disgusting. It has the humor level of drunk college men, but marketed for children? This movie does't have any redeeming qualities.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 19, 2012

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This movie almost ruined my childhood.It was SO horrible,I only watched 20 minutes of the movie,and I will never watch the rest! The reason why I don't like it is because the humor was very VERY corny! I'd rather watch a crappy 1930s movie than watch this!
Parent Written byembeau October 20, 2010

Disappointed at age inappropriateness of cat in hat

I think this movie is way beyond the scope of what anyone under the age of 8 should be seeing. I am not really a prude (my daughter started on Barbie DVD's at two and loved them), but this movie is NOT a cutesy "cat in the hat" show.
Adult Written byreby23 November 3, 2014

It's awful.

It's not appropriate for children. It's boring for adults. It also should have gotten a PG-13 rating. Better watch a movie intended for adults than this.
Parent Written bycelias69 October 12, 2014

disgusting n perverted

Dirty ho? Can someone plz explain to me what was the purpose of that comment? How will we ever get our children to respect women and stop referring to them as ho's and b's? Even if all the sexual references go over ur child's head; they will get the subliminal messages. What kind of perverted people made this movie and rated it PG? I am still trying to get over shock... It was very good to see that so many people felt the same way. Thank goodness some people still have a good sense of what's right n horrifically wrong.
Parent Written byKristen0929 February 4, 2013

Please read before you watch!

I was very dissapointed in this movie. In the first 10min of the Cat arriving at the start of the movie, he had already called another character stupid, threatened to kill another with a meat cleaver, cut off his own tail and yelled out son of a b!@#$! The neighbour character also is shown drinking beer and there is a ton of dirty humor that is not appropriate for children of any age. I was so shocked. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. Dr Seuss is my most favourite author of all time and I read his stories to my two year old son everyday. I am truly disgusted at how this movie has preverted such a beloved character/story for our children.
Adult Written bymaili April 9, 2008

Why Bother?

Why did they bother to put in a crude joke "you dirty hoe" when they knew they were making a movie for children? This really makes me angry. I don't need to hear stupid stuff like that and I certanly don't want children in my care to hear this stuff either!
Parent Written byItza January 7, 2014

It's fine because kids are supposed to be innocent at that age and not get it. If they understand the dirty jokes ...then keep an eye on them

I think i was in 4th grade when I watched this movie. Guess what? I never got any of the dirty jokes such as when the cat got a you know what when he saw the picture of conrad and sally's mom. I especially loved the part where he almost said "son of a -," I was really young, I knew what word he was supposed to say but I had common sense and knew right from wrong and never said it. I also never understood the "you dirty --" part. I thought it was just the gardening tool. anyways, the dirty jokes were subtle in my opinion. now I'm an adult and omigod i love this movie!! I think young innocent kids would enjoy this movie. My sister is 8 years old and does not understand the sexual innuendos or knows what a dirty H-- really is. she also knows never to say the B word. I highly recommend this movie for young children. It's funny! kids laugh at that kind of stuff with the farting noises etc. Parents need to relax a little more. This movie is not gonna corrupt your child. I don;t have kids but I got a sibling who's friends already tried talking to her about sex. As long as children's movies don't directly say things they shouldn't say in front of kids and keep it subtle, things should be fine.
Parent of a 4, 9, and 11 year old Written byjohnthree16 March 12, 2011

Super for all the family

As I write this my almost 5 year old and her 9 and 11 year old brothers are watching it. I can hear the laughter almost continuously! I am very strict about the movies my kids watch. specially regarding violence. This is just plain funny. Yes there are some innuendoes but the younger kids just wont get it.
Adult Written bykirireeves April 9, 2008

I was prepared to hate it

I have resigned myself to the fact that I'll be seeing a lot of stupid children's movies for the next 15 years. And so I took my sons to see this with some resignation. But, it was actually palatable. It teaches some good lessons at the end, and Mike Meyers is very funny. I thought my toddler wouldn't be as interested as the older kids, but he loved it. There is enough shlap to appeal to the silly-loving toddler crowd. Luckily, most of the off-color jokes are subtle enough that the kids miss them, and the scary parts are pretty tame. A nice bit of fluff for the fam.
Adult Written bysnes64dsi October 13, 2012

Horrible movie!!!! Watch Horton instead or the original special!

This has got to be one of the WORST movie adaptations ever made!! The writers/producers obviously tried to hard to make it appeal to all ages, when it just didn't! Alec Baldwin grabs some beer, the cat makes numerous sex reference, has an erection from looking @ a sexy portrait of Kelly Preston, and spells out foul language (one is cut off)! Definitely not for kids. if you want your movie to appeal to kids, teens and adults, don't go overboard, use the Ice Age franchise and Toy Story movies, they have a G or "low-end" PG rating. Pixar and Blue Sky made minor adult jokes and they've become popular. Whatever you do, avoid this trash at all costs, watch "Horton Hears a Who!" instead, it's G-rated, has Jim Carrey and didn't go over the counter with adult humor.
Parent Written byImSpidey2 October 21, 2012

Classic guilty pleasure.

I used to love this movie when I was young. I still like it now as a guilty pleasure. But they really need to lay off the inappropiate jokes...
Adult Written byage 10+ February 26, 2012

Hilarious family movie

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bymusicallover March 18, 2011

The most horrible children's movie ever!

This movie was so inappropriate and terrible, we turned it off half way through. It is nothing like the books, it is emabarrassing. The cat acually says the word "hoe" holding the tool but meaning the other. Not good for kids at any age and I say this being a pretty open minded person.
Parent Written bySketcher R. April 12, 2015

Horrible

This movie is nothing like the original cartoon/book. This is meant for an older audience.