Parent reviews for Duma

Duma Poster Image

best movie of all time!

Excellent

Wonderful

Beutifully filmed, great story, great cinematography.

Simply kind movie/

I don't think that this film is a masterpiece of cinema. But it's full of kindness and love, and this is more important. The boy (even a boy – actor) will not be an egoist in future and bring a love to animals from his whole life. He was able to release cheeta at wild nature, thinking about his fate, and not about his attachment. I like the movie. But there is still a beautiful African legend why Cheetah black stripes of the eye. Save animals!

e.g. Engaging story, refreshing film

We watched this for family movie night with our 5.5 year old son and 2 year old daughter- everyone enjoyed it (and it's not always easy to find one that's enjoyable for kids and tolerable for parents). Everything about it was great and engaging- my kids didn't find any of the scenes with the animal predators scary but I think the father's death be difficult for more sensitive kids and might merit some discussion with your child but otherwise I highly recommend the film.

Great coming of age story

Great coming of age story with the elements of life that concern children rather than adolescents (animals, parents, adult friends as opposed to opposite sex attraction or peer pressure). Beautifully filmed. Scary parts (death of father, danger from lions, near death of a friend) are not graphic, but also are not glossed over.

Well told, highly engaging story, beautifully photographed

The movie is a well told story of childhood decision-making (kids don't always make the right choices, even if choosing to do something for the right reasons) set into a sometimes stunningly beautiful tour of South Africa. Directed by Carrol Ballard (who directed one of the most photographically beautiful film made in color, The Black Stallion), with excellent use of many familiar archetypes. My 8 year old boy was fully engaged and loved it. (note on my scoring: I indicate "educational" because with a good post-viewing discussion, there is much to learn).

not rated for age