Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Edge of Tomorrow

Appealing but violent sci-fi thriller explores time, fate.

Adult Written bygmariam June 14, 2014

Good movie, but avoid the previews

It was a great movie with a little bad language. Most of the deaths aren't shown. The first was the most graphic. My biggest problem with the whole thing was that one of the previews they showed beforehand was for the movie Sex Tape. Not something I would have wanted my 12 yr old daughter to see.
Adult Written byMovie Review Maven June 7, 2014

Groundhog Day on steriods!

Movie Title: Edge of Tomorrow PG-13, 1 hour 53 minutes Grade: A- In a Nutshell: This is “Groundhog Day” on steroids! (I love that Bill Murray classic.) Add the uber-intense Tom Cruise and the beautiful Emily Blunt, along with flawed, but heroic soldiers and you’ve got an action movie sure to thrill. Video gamers will almost feel like they’re inside a Halo game complete with resets after dying and kicking alien butt. Uplifting theme: • Humanity is worth fighting for. • Every moment of life is precious. Things I liked: • I thought it was appropriate for the film’s opening weekend to be during the 70th anniversary of D-Day. Replace Nazis with aliens and you’ll still feel patriotic. • It’s kind of amazing to see a movie which actually ends, rather than one that Hollywood tosses out there, hoping to pump out a mediocre sequel for you to spend your hard-earned money on. • The super fast, squiggly aliens were cool, especially the “Alpha” when he growls. • Emily Blunt was really cute in The Devil Wears Prada, but now she is even sexier as a strong, fighting machine. • I saw it in IMAX 3D, which made some of the action sequences epic. When someone got tasered, I was almost worried I’d get hit too. • I loved the fat soldier’s t-shirt that said “Mimic this.” It’s funny as is, but has another meaning when you learn that they call the aliens “mimics.” • I loved the high-tech mech-suits the soldiers wear. Things I didn’t like: • It shows a movie clip of Hillary Clinton in some kind of executive meeting, as if she is president of the United States. Was that a subtle bit of hopeful propaganda for the next presidential election? • There was a plot hole in the ending…as if the rest of the movie was believable. haha Inspiring lines: • “The fiery crucible, the only place where true heroes are forged.” - Master Sergeant Farrel • “There’s no courage without fear.” - Master Sergeant Farrel • “We fight. That’s what we do.” - Major William Cage Funny lines: • “What do we do now? - Rita Vrataski “I don’t know. We’ve never gotten this far.” - Major William Cage • “Where is the safety?” - Major William Cage “Exactly!” - mocking soldiers • “What day is it?” - Major William Cage “For you? Judgment Day.” - soldier Tips for parents: Lots of violence, but only a few “mild” forms of profanity. There is a creepy shot of a burning/melting face, as well as one of a fat guy’s bum….both are a bit disturbing.

Adult Written bymafeulner June 17, 2014

Complex themes

This is a very sophisticated Groundhog Day-like movie with a lot of violence. However, the little blood you see is not really bloody and I think the violence has less emotional impact, and can be desensitizing, because of the "resets." You see the same characters die repeatedly in different ways, which gives the movie a very dreamlike feeling. Or, for today's kids, a videogame feeling. The message that it drives home is no matter how many times you are knocked down, you always get up and try again. Even though the 8 and 10 year-olds I watched it with did not get every nuance of the time traveling rules, they enjoyed it immensely. Know your kids with this one.

Adult Written byhobbits November 7, 2014

Fun movie, common sense rating a little off

This was a fun movie and to my surprise Tom Cruise was really good in it; probably because he plays a self-centered jack-ass (a natural role for him). The pace, plot, and acting were all better than the usual action-movie mediocrity I’ve come to expect these days. Usually I find the Common Sense Ratings to be pretty accurate but felt the 2-rating for sex was low. One dialog has a character admitting he’s never been with two women but would “make it work.” Another has Cruise’s character suggesting sex as a way to achieve an objective in the plot. These dialogs may make for awkward viewing with younger teens.
Adult Written byhelpinghand June 10, 2014

Keep on REpeat

Very interesting scifi thriller, It's a great performance by Tom Cruise and keeps you thoroughly entertained. Parents need to know there is brief strong language and strong violence throughout though mostly bloodless.
Adult Written byTheoDoyp July 26, 2016

Wow

I was very surprised with this movie. I really enjoyed it. The action sequences, the amazing acting... it all worked! I definetly reccommend it to anyone who likes action/ science fiction movies. Tom cruise is great in it and so is emily blunt. I loved everything about this awesome movie and i give it 5/5 For any parents wondering if its appropriate for their child, there is quite a lot of loud monster/sci-fi type violence but the gore and blood is very limited making it not such a strong impact on most kids.

Written byAnonymous April 19, 2015

Adult Written byjohnswanson November 8, 2014

Great sci-fi movie may be a little violent for some.

This is one of the best sci-fi movies to come out in a long while. (Probably since District 9.) I would say that the only strike against it is that it is very violent. There is almost no blood, but the main character dies over and over again in a variety of different ways. There is some bad language, but not enough to really offend. One character's butt is shown, but there is no sexual content. I would say this is a great movie for all teens unless they are a bit sensitive to violence. This movie is a definite keeper.

Adult Written bysarge123 January 24, 2016

Adult Written byJren October 19, 2015

Absolutely brilliant

Displays amazing thrills and timelines with mind-blowing fiction and role-playing by Tom Cruise.

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 June 13, 2014

Cruise dies over and over again

After starring in "Oblivion," Cruise decided to shake it up by being in...a post-apocalyptic sci-fi action movie. What variety. While I would love to see him in a juicer drama role, we'll have to settle for Cruise the last action hero. Here he gets frequently upstaged by strong female action role model Emily Blunt, bringing a ferocity to the role of Rita, and is to begin with a much stronger fighter than Cruise. I liked that Cruise wasn't likable to begin with, he's imperfect, the sci-fi aspects had some holes in them, noticeable things. The special effects are killer, and the supporting cast is OK, but I still give the "edge" to "Oblivion."

Adult Written byRarityfan October 13, 2018

Tomorrow...

If you are that man who likes sci fi with brain watch this. Lots of destruction and philosophy inbetween. France counts as the consumerism.

Adult Written byDarkAgentE May 23, 2018

Really awesome, hardcore action film.

Edge of Tomorrow is awesome. The action is great, the acting is suprisingly great, the story and plot are both really well executed, and there are a lot of really awesome plot twists. Edge of Tomorrow is one of my favorite action films to date.