All parent member reviews for Ella Enchanted

Parent of a 6 year old Written byahoffmann April 6, 2013

No sexy stuff? I beg to differ!!!

I'm not sure who rates these movies, but this movie has a zero rating for "sexy stuff" but Ella and the prince kiss MULTIPLE times...and not just a peck, but real kissing. I could have dealt with once, but it was at least three times or more. I think this at least deserves mentioning! My 7 year old girl doesn't need to be seeing that and had the ratings mentioned it, I wouldn't have chosen to watch the movie. There are also tons of screaming, boy crazy girls who swoon and chase after the prince every time they see him. They even kiss the ground where he walks and someone says, "stop tonguing the foyer, girls." Call me prude, but I just thought it was a little inappropriate for young girls, or at least those who are still innocent. The story was cute and we enjoyed it, I just wish this aspect would have been at least mentioned.
Parent Written bymyab October 27, 2010

Not Like The Book, But Still A Good Movie

Quick note: we had not read the book when we watched this movie. If you do watch it, keep in mind that it is not going to be like the book. We initially watched this for my daughter, who was 6 at the time, but to my surprise my 9 year old son actually got caught up in the story, too. Nothing objectionable, really, though there are scary moments. There is violence, but nothing truly terrible. Good story, good acting, and nice to see a strong heroine overcoming her own "curse" to become who she wants and needs to be. Also a good story about tolerance of differences and how different people working together, each using their own strengths, can make a difference.
Educator and Parent Written byForestTrailsHSC December 16, 2010
This movie is AWFUL. Skip the movie and read/listen to the book. The book is endearing and delightful; the movie has turned the story into an evil, despicable, inappropriate nightmare. I could not wait for it to be over.
Adult Written byDenni April 9, 2008

Okay movie...but what happened?

The movie was okay, don't get me wrong, but what happened? This is absolutely nothing like the book nor have the changes improved the original story. This film made a complete parody of the wonderful book by Gail Carson Levine and while it had some good moments, I felt utterly disapointed and completely let down. I've been looking forward to seeing this book on the screen but this in no way lived up to the literary work it is "based" on (and I use the term "based" *very* loosely). If you've never read the book, I'm sure you'll most likely enjoy it at least some, but if you're watching it for the book, here's a clue: don't.
Educator and Parent of a 14 and 15 year old Written byLiz Perle April 9, 2008
Parent of a 9 year old Written byrobinpeggy April 9, 2008

watchable for parents

Visually interesting and with songs that seem selected to entertain the parents (Respect, Don't Go Breaking My Heart, etc.). One of the 5-year-olds with me got scared but after climbing into my lap watched and enjoyed the rest. Anne Hathaway, as in The Princess Diaries, is luminous and terrific.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 20, 2012

ella enchanted

respect each other enough to stop fighting the attraction they feel is unexpectedly tender. Families can talk about what it was that made it possible for Ella to break the curse. What did she have to learn or feel to make that happen? They may want to talk about the theme of discrimination and segregation in the story. What creates prejudice?
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

Not recommended
Adult Written byDLJones3423 April 9, 2008

An amusing take on a classic story

I loved this movie! It's slap sticky without being too stupid. Anne Hathaway does a wonderful job as Ella. Your heart gets torn out by Ella's struggles with her "gift." Ella has a strong side and a tender side, much like Fiona in the Shrek movies. My 11-year-old daughter can't get enough of this movie, and she and I are always singing away by the end (the first time we watched it, she asked incredulously, "You KNOW these songs?"). My 5 and 7 year old sons like the movie, but they don't respond quite the same way. They just sit there looking at us while we sing.
Adult Written byjohnnydogmatic April 9, 2008

An inspiring, clever hybrid of 'Ever After', 'Shrek' and 'Princess Diaries'

My twelve-year old daughter, my wife and I saw this film - none of us knew the book so came at it fresh. It was great to see so many good British actors - Eric Idle, Joanna Lumley - as well as the dazzlingly beautiful (ahem) Anne Hathaway. The story is a great twist on Cinderella, where the fairy godmother gives the baby Ella a "gift" of obedience. This soon turns into a curse when the evil stepsisters arrive. The setting is medieval with modern touches (like wooden escalators etc). The characters are well drawn with very clever plots and subplots and Ella is a spunky, independent, likeable person. Thoroughly recommended, although maybe not suitable for very young children (the villainous King is VERY nasty) Anne Hathaway plays the part of Ella delightfully.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bykierangunn November 8, 2009
Adult Written bystine75 April 9, 2008

Delightful movie!!!

I truly enjoyed watching this movie with my kids. We were on the edge of our seats waiting to see how it would end. Even my 10 year old son enjoyed it, so it's not just a girly movie....like I thought when I rented it. Some of the scenes were a bit scary for my 6 year old, which is why I think you should definitely watch this with your kids, and not let them watch it on their own unless they are older.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bynikilj April 9, 2008

Great movie!

I watched this with my 5 year old. We both loved it! It reminded a lot me of Shrek. My only thing was I wanted to make sure my daughter understand it wasn't real. I would watch it again.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymathmom April 9, 2008

Funny and entertaining

I saw this movie in the theatre with my two kids - 6 and 4 - about 4 months ago. They thought it was fun, and had a great lesson about friendship and standing up for yourself. However, even now, my younger child remembers that Ella was asked to kill the prince and can recall vividly the scene where she is holding the knife to his back. This might have not been a great thing for my 4 year to see and I'll probably think twice about PG movies in the future. But overall, the story was fun - a nice twist on the Cinderella who is dependent on the "fairy godmother" to give her stuff. Here she's empowering herself.