Parent reviews for Elysium

Dazzling but heavy-handed sci-fi has violence, language.

Parent Written byg-g-g August 10, 2013

Entertaining but violent and heavy-handed on social issues--for older teens only

Like "District 9," Neil Bloomkamp's previous film, "Elysium" is for teenagers near voting age only. The level of violence is just too much for a 13- or 14-year-old--this from a parent who saw "Apocalypse Now" at 13 and thought it borderline back then. The heavy-handed social commentary--bordering on the caricature where "District 9" was more subtle and thoughtful--will probably satisfy the typical 16-year-old's readiness to express outrage at social injustice. To an adult, it feels overly simplistic and somewhat out-of-date already. In a time of Obamacare and shifting attitudes towards immigration across the political landscape, the metaphor of the desperate Spanish-speaking poor ready to risk everything for health care in the rich white world will soon look like yesterday's battle, a little like late 1980s Cold War films felt back when the rise of Japan seemed unstoppable. There's definitely something to view, enjoy and talk about with for parents and mature teenagers here, but I'll take "District 9" over "Elysium" as a support for that kind of discussion.
Adult Written byCharlieBundy August 9, 2013

I was surprised how much i loved this movie

Thought the film was great, almost made me cry. Very enjoyable. NOT for children

Positive messages
Parent Written bytomcatturbo August 11, 2013

Extremely VULGAR, F-BOMBS DROPPED Nearly 50x!!! NOT FOR KIDS

I went and saw this movie with a 12 and 8 year old today- by accident. I accidentlally thought this was a sci-fi movie and from the previews it looked pretty much ok for older kids. It was torrents of the F-word, Violence which was graphic and disturbing (Head gets blow up in slow motion) and Stabbings which are graphic. I was so uncomfortable watching this movie I nearly got up to leave. Matt Damon is a great actor, but he is absolutely crude and dissapointing.... I wasted my money, time and shouldn't have saw this movie. Especially with kids! It was predictable as well..

Educator Written byMiss S August 23, 2013

important message, too much violence

It has the same important messages as the Hunger Games, but these stories all seem to be tied up in extreme violence, making it impossible to reach the next generation until the kids are old enough to watch them. Yet, more frightening to me as an adult, was not the violence, but the thought that this is where our society is most likely heading. The 1% are the ones living on Elysium, both now and in the future. Probably the best thing you could get out of this movie, if you watch it with teenagers (NOT anyone below the age of 15!) is to discuss whether this type of future is inevitable for our society, or if we can somehow find another way to coexist, no matter what our financial status.

Positive messages
Parent Written byPredatorman March 22, 2014

Good Movie

it isn't non-stop violence but when there is violence it's pretty gory, there is a ton of cursing that may not be suitable for some

Parent Written byNichole1 January 16, 2014

Good movie, not for kids

Though the movie attacks some great topics, and my son is smart enough to keep up, I don't think its for kids. The violence is graphic and over the top. When I was in the theater with my husband, someone actually had toddlers, AND a baby in their. Too much for them and I would be surprised if those kids didnt have nightmares.

Drinking, drugs & smoking
Adult Written bychristian2011 August 21, 2013

Bland sci-fi action adventure with mainly violence and language, no story.

I was expecting a lot better from Elysium, and when I watched it in theaters I was honestly disappointed. Sure, the special effects were awe-inspiring and dazzling, but there wasn't much of an interesting story between any of the characters and the film mainly just focused on one man's ferocious and desperate tenacity to go the space station where the rich and high class inhabited, in order to give his people a better place to live. The movie mainly consisted of strong violence and pervasive language (f**k, motherf**ker, sh*t) combined with a bleak storyline, made it boring yet predictable to watch. Truly a disappointment.

Adult Written byfonzieg April 3, 2015

Blomkamp's second film is just as great as his first!

Great special effects, awesome action, AMAZING MOVIE!!!
Adult Written byslasher23 August 16, 2014
violent a some gory with one very strong language

Adult Written bygabe4 September 8, 2013

really good scfi movie! depending on the kid's maturity I would say maybe 14 or 15 up

I really enjoyed this movie; lots of action....sure there's blood but its not really excessive like other movies.

Adult Written byjoshua martinez August 23, 2013

15 and up.

this Science Fiction movie stars with matt damon Elysium is the best movie ever filled with lots of action that all of you will enjoy this movie is fine for your older teens and parents you need to know that Elysium has a lot of intense violence and sometimes blood and gore with lots of fighting and shooting and some stabbing and swordplay. Viewers see lots of dripping blood, and characters die. Many robots and spaceships explode. A man violently slaps and forcibly kidnaps a woman and her sick young daughter to get information out of her. A bad guy is shown with his face blown off. A robot cop breaks the main character's arm. He's also exposed to radiation and is shown feeling sick and throwing up. A gory surgery scene shows the main character having an exoskeleton grafted onto his body characters used strong language and characters are shown drinking beer besides the intense violence in this movie the movie does have a positive message about a plea for tolerance, especially among social classes.

Drinking, drugs & smoking
Parent Written byIndie123 August 13, 2013

Rhetoric of the French Revolution Lives on.......

The Utopians of 17th and 18th century Europe who played their first major debut in the French Revolution would be proud of this movie. It is typical of egalitarian social conscience thinking. Hey the rich are up there and they have cool stuff and we are starving. The answer must be we get guns, get their stuff and kill them. "'Equality, Liberty, Fraternity or Death' alas the last is easiet to give O Guillotine" - Charles Dickens How come the answer is never the ones the revolutionaries in North America around the same time gave. Good, choke on your fancy space station. We will take what we have here and eventually build a country that dwarfs yours. : The reviewer says the societal issues in Elysium are laudable and need to be discussed. My question is Why?
Parent Written byreviews for the win September 2, 2013

elysium

really good movie but the is some cursing and extreme violence .