A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this movie.
What parents need to know
- Parents say
- Kids say
What's the story?
Is it any good?
Talk to your kids about ...
- Families can talk about Elysium's violence. Is all of the gore and death necessary to convey its messages of tolerance?
- If you were rich and lived in the movie's world, would you move to Elysium? Would you be interested in helping others?
- Does this movie make you hate rich people or sympathize with them? Are they stereotypes? What are some ways to understand them better?
Can you think of other sci-fi movies (or other types of media) that have tackled political ideas through metaphor and fantasy?
- In theaters: August 9, 2013
- On DVD or streaming: December 17, 2013
- Cast: Jodie Foster, Matt Damon, Sharlto Copley, William Fichtner
- Director: Neill Blomkamp
- Studio: TriStar Pictures
- Genre: Science Fiction
- Topics: Space and Aliens
- Run time: 109 minutes
- MPAA rating: R
- MPAA explanation: strong bloody violence and language throughout
- Last updated: September 20, 2019
Our editors recommend
For kids who love sci-fi
Themes & Topics
Browse titles with similar subject matter.
Top advice and articles
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.
Streaming options powered by JustWatch