Parent reviews for Enola Holmes

Entertaining period mystery has feminist messages, violence.

Wondering if Enola Holmes is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byMolly B October 2, 2020

Finally a Clean Movie!!

With so many sexual themes going on in movies today, this movie was a refreshing change!!!! Thank you for providing an amazingly family-friendly, clean, and appropriate movie. No kissing, cuss words, and or sex scenes or references on any gender. I absolutely loved all the characters and found them so personable and enjoyable. Very happy with the movie.

Adult Written byCbdb22 October 9, 2020

Really enjoyable family film

We generally struggle to find films that both our kids (9, 12) will like but this ticked all the boxes. It felt more like an adult film, only with a simple plot and a teenage heroine. It has a courageous and principled female lead (good role model), plenty of action and a good (albeit implausible) plot. There's also a very low key boy / girl thread which ensures it's relevant for everyone. Both our kids were a bit confused by the references to the Reform Bill and didn't always know what was going on, but it didn't really impact their enjoyment of the film. To note, there's a graphic scene of an attempted drowning which might spook a younger child, and also someone gets shot in the chest.

Adult Written byPrv31wife September 26, 2020

Nice Movie

I actually part way through this movie and I'm loving it. I love the characters and the costumes . Though I would wonder how historically accurate they are.
It's nice to have a movie that isn't dropping the F bomb and other foul language. I do have to admit talking to the audience was a little annoying. And no bed hopping if you get my meaning.

Adult Written byALE11 October 10, 2020

Boring

I think the name “Holmes” was slapped on there to give it marketing value. This movie has none of the sharp intellect or exciting plots that the name Holmes typically promises. Is it fine? Yes. But I’d recommend you find something else to do.
Adult Written byStuckIntheMiddle October 4, 2020

Movie justifies violence "if you want to change the world"

Spoilers ahead but the one I am going to give is extremely important for parents to hear. The majority of this movie is a fun reimagining of the Sherlock's tales through the eyes of his younger sister as you likely know.

There are many positive messages for young people of all sexual identities, but ultimately there is one extremely dangerous message parents should be careful about. Particularly with the ongoing debate around appropriate means of protest.

The understory of the movie is that Enola is searching for her mother who vanished. By the end of the movie we discover her mother vanished to further her work with an underground group making bombs and preparing for acts of unrest and civil disobedience with the justification, "if you want to change the world, you have to make some noise." There is little interpretation to be made other than that her mother intended to use those bombs, and that it was not only ok to use them to further her political beliefs, but heroic.

Strange choice to make in these times, and it was not something I was expecting. Of course if you have different views on violence to further political ends it may not cause a problem. Or if like me you do not mind talking about important topics such as these, and highlighting where you disagree with the themes and topics, then you may choose to watch it with your kids.

Either way I felt it was important for parents to know going in.
Adult Written byBijoux923 September 27, 2020

Great for aspiring and ambitious young ladies!

No sex, no foul language, intelligent, and pro female!
Adult Written byProspering_Mama September 26, 2020

Great Family Movie

I watched this with my 10 year old daughter on “girls night.” The movie had a little bit of a “Masterpiece Theatre” vibe so I was worried she would lose interest but she loved it. The movie was well done and I’m sure we will be watching it again!

Adult Written byalexislumos14 October 4, 2020

Interesting take on detective movies | Charming and exciting coming-of-age movie set in the late 19th century

I enjoyed this movie very much, and here's why.

Starting off with the characters, Millie Bobby Brown as Enola is really fun to watch and play along with. She's empowered, spunky and quirky, bravely searching for her mother. She does make dangerous decisions, but it's an adventure not to miss. Tewkesbury was also a fun character to watch, acting as Enola's sidekick and love interest. Sherlock and Mycroft were mainly side characters in this movie, but it was nice watching them both try to protect their sister from danger. Enola has a strong relationship with her mother, who raised her as a single mom growing up.

While the story line wasn't SUPER thrilling, the plot twists and fast pace of the film will hook viewers of any age, especially children who enjoy colorful movies with strong messages.

The movie sets are also really charming, with beautiful countryside scenery and late 1800s towns and cities. The cheerful, upbeat tone of the movie and character of Enola is a contrast to the setting of the film, but makes it all the more gripping to watch unfold.

If you're looking for a sweet/funny/entertaining mystery to pass the time with, Enola Holmes is the right choice.

Adult Written byAmomwho September 30, 2020

Violent for young great for late elementary

Loved this movie and so did my 8 and 10 year old. Great messages throughout of doing the right thing and helping others. The end is a little gory and it was disturbing to see one fight scene where enola was being held under water but the main character let the viewer in on the fact that she was alright quickly.

Adult Written byJAinVA September 28, 2020

Blah. Enola's Okay.

The new Enola Holmes doesn't have anything really offensive in it but it is a boring movie. A teenage girl's mother runs away and Enola fights against her brothers' desire to send her to boarding school. This movie just fell flat for me. I kept waiting to like it. Finnick Odair from The Hunger Games trilogy played one of Enola's brothers and I kept waiting to see his character sparkle but his character never really blossomed. The actors did a good job but this movie was just uninspiring for me. My girls, ages 10 and 14, watched this movie but I don't think they would ask to watch it again.
Adult Written byNiofam4 September 26, 2020

Fantastic!

Great characters, strong female and male presence, Not spooky or scary for the younger ones that may be sensitive. My nine and 10-year-old loved it.
Adult Written byRealReviewsByCa... September 22, 2020

Meh

The movie was ok I guess, I don’t get why (lead actress) Millie Brown is so popular her acting and the overall storyline was underwhelming.
Parent of a 10 and 11-year-old Written byAnne M. October 24, 2020

Good family movie

Enola was a fun family movie about an adventurous, smart and confident thing lady. It is funny and full of action. Does push a feminist message but not in an overbearing way.

Recommended if you want a fun, action packed movie.

Adult Written byWillisWatch October 23, 2020

Your Parents and Siblings will love you

I’m an older moved-out sibling to 2 boys and 2 girls. Finding movies that won’t make my parents upset after my siblings come over and finding things that don’t bore them isn’t easy. Enola Holmes is perfect. Something for the guys and girls and I felt comfortable with everything they watched. Netflix did a great job. The only reason I don’t give it 5 stars is because I would’ve liked to see my favorite detective more. Definitely a great relaxation movie

Parent of a 9 and 11-year-old Written byjcjoggerst October 21, 2020

Adult Written byKalimini October 15, 2020
Adult Written bymonis_shaikh October 13, 2020

Amazing !!!!!

Enola Holmes, as the name suggest the whole movie is around Enola - the sister of Sherlock, she want to be like her brother and find her own path in her life. It is a very good movie to watch with family and friends, it is a combination of drama, comedy and adventure and in all these departments the movie works good. As the story is very simple and enjoyable and the emotions is the USP of this movie. Last but not the least the performance of Millie Bobby Brown is awesome and it can be one of the reason to watch this cute little girl. So go and watch it !!!!!!!

Adult Written bystranger things19 October 11, 2020

Great show

I was watching and my daughter came in and started watching too and she fell COMPLETLY IN LOVE with the show

Adult Written bySandraGo October 4, 2020

Entertaining for the whole family

I watched this myself and then quickly thereafter watched it with my 4 kids. It’s cute, quirky, and predictable, but overall a lot of fun!

Adult Written bySusana78 October 4, 2020

Entertaining and fresh

Good to have a fun afternoon with your family, no sex, no bad words, no drugs. Violence comes only from one person and the rest is defense.