Parent reviews for Enola Holmes

Entertaining period mystery has feminist messages, violence.

Adult Written byMolly B October 2, 2020

Finally a Clean Movie!!

With so many sexual themes going on in movies today, this movie was a refreshing change!!!! Thank you for providing an amazingly family-friendly, clean, and appropriate movie. No kissing, cuss words, and or sex scenes or references on any gender. I absolutely loved all the characters and found them so personable and enjoyable. Very happy with the movie.

Adult Written byCbdb22 October 9, 2020

Really enjoyable family film

We generally struggle to find films that both our kids (9, 12) will like but this ticked all the boxes. It felt more like an adult film, only with a simple plot and a teenage heroine. It has a courageous and principled female lead (good role model), plenty of action and a good (albeit implausible) plot. There's also a very low key boy / girl thread which ensures it's relevant for everyone. Both our kids were a bit confused by the references to the Reform Bill and didn't always know what was going on, but it didn't really impact their enjoyment of the film. To note, there's a graphic scene of an attempted drowning which might spook a younger child, and also someone gets shot in the chest.

Adult Written byStuckIntheMiddle October 4, 2020

Movie justifies violence "if you want to change the world"

Spoilers ahead but the one I am going to give is extremely important for parents to hear. The majority of this movie is a fun reimagining of the Sherlock's tales through the eyes of his younger sister as you likely know.

There are many positive messages for young people of all sexual identities, but ultimately there is one extremely dangerous message parents should be careful about. Particularly with the ongoing debate around appropriate means of protest.

The understory of the movie is that Enola is searching for her mother who vanished. By the end of the movie we discover her mother vanished to further her work with an underground group making bombs and preparing for acts of unrest and civil disobedience with the justification, "if you want to change the world, you have to make some noise." There is little interpretation to be made other than that her mother intended to use those bombs, and that it was not only ok to use them to further her political beliefs, but heroic.

Strange choice to make in these times, and it was not something I was expecting. Of course if you have different views on violence to further political ends it may not cause a problem. Or if like me you do not mind talking about important topics such as these, and highlighting where you disagree with the themes and topics, then you may choose to watch it with your kids.

Either way I felt it was important for parents to know going in.
Adult Written byBijoux923 September 27, 2020

Great for aspiring and ambitious young ladies!

No sex, no foul language, intelligent, and pro female!
Adult Written byPrv31wife September 26, 2020

Nice Movie

I actually part way through this movie and I'm loving it. I love the characters and the costumes . Though I would wonder how historically accurate they are.
It's nice to have a movie that isn't dropping the F bomb and other foul language. I do have to admit talking to the audience was a little annoying. And no bed hopping if you get my meaning.

Adult Written byJannell September 26, 2020

Excellent film with overly violent scene near the end

This movie was great! Millie Brown is absolutely fantastic as Enola, and she is reason enough to watch this movie. Her character is strong, funny and sensitive. There is exciting adventure, mystery and a sweet dash of young romance. Parents should know that there is a fight scene near the end that is somewhat out of tune with the rest of the film in the way it’s presented. Someone gets graphically knocked out with a hit to the head by the butt of a gun, someone else gets shot (not so much gory as surprising) and another hits their head on a finial (and dies) with quite a graphic visual and sound. For that reason I would rate this as 12+, even though my 8 & 10 year olds watched it. Younger audiences will enjoy it, just use parental discretion based on your own children’s sensitivities.

Adult Written byNiofam4 September 26, 2020

Fantastic!

Great characters, strong female and male presence, Not spooky or scary for the younger ones that may be sensitive. My nine and 10-year-old loved it.
Adult Written bymikaylalwrites September 25, 2020
I didn't care for the movie (didn't like Henry Cavill as Sherlock, didn't care for the looking into the camera moments, other things).

However, this is literally the most tame media I've seen in a while. It's a kids movie based on a kids series that's a retelling of a classic set of stories. The PG-13 rating is silly. There's about as much violence as in SpongeBob. It being live action doesn't make it more mature.

If you're the stick up butt sort, there are two "legitimate" swears, if you consider "hell" a swear. I don't care, "oh my god" is NOT a swear.

There's one on-screen scene of alcohol and one mention of it. It's less than any 1950s G-rated classic.

The fact that someone decided there was any, if even the lower end, sex in this is hilarious. There's literally one kiss on the hand. Not even on the cheek.

Parent of a 11 and 13-year-old Written byContentMom January 2, 2021

The best!!

Wish there were more movies like this!!!

Adult Written byALE11 October 10, 2020

Boring

I think the name “Holmes” was slapped on there to give it marketing value. This movie has none of the sharp intellect or exciting plots that the name Holmes typically promises. Is it fine? Yes. But I’d recommend you find something else to do.
Adult Written byProspering_Mama September 26, 2020

Great Family Movie

I watched this with my 10 year old daughter on “girls night.” The movie had a little bit of a “Masterpiece Theatre” vibe so I was worried she would lose interest but she loved it. The movie was well done and I’m sure we will be watching it again!

Parent Written byAaron C. September 23, 2020

Entertaining & Thought-provoking

Enola Holmes is the perfect Feminist movie, and the best part is that it isn't preachy, it's entertaining. It shows how strong women can be, and how the society tries to control them. A good watch.

Parent Written byMark R. December 23, 2020

Adult Written byJackBauer November 6, 2020

DO NOT WATCH!!!!!

This was such a rubbish, boring and a complete waste of time (I only actually watched the first 25 mins and had to get out because of the utter failure of a movie.) Do not waste your time on this movie, it is so overrated and so is Millie Bobby Brown as an actor.
Adult Written bymonis_shaikh October 13, 2020

Amazing !!!!!

Enola Holmes, as the name suggest the whole movie is around Enola - the sister of Sherlock, she want to be like her brother and find her own path in her life. It is a very good movie to watch with family and friends, it is a combination of drama, comedy and adventure and in all these departments the movie works good. As the story is very simple and enjoyable and the emotions is the USP of this movie. Last but not the least the performance of Millie Bobby Brown is awesome and it can be one of the reason to watch this cute little girl. So go and watch it !!!!!!!

Adult Written bylil_miss_moffat October 5, 2020

Holmes goes feminist

While I agree that this is a “clean” movie (mild violence, language, no sex scenes), which I greatly appreciate, contrary to most reviewers I greatly disliked this movie and think it does the Sherlock franchise a disservice. Let’s just say the mom skipping out in the middle of the night was not great. And (spoiler) when they reunited, her moms reasoning for leaving was not because she didn’t love Enola, but she wanted to make the world a better place for her. So the work that must be done “out there” is more important? Not a great message.
Overall, it did include a detective “caper” and a great historical setting. But the feminist tone was a disappointment.
Adult Written byalexislumos14 October 4, 2020

Interesting take on detective movies | Charming and exciting coming-of-age movie set in the late 19th century

I enjoyed this movie very much, and here's why.

Starting off with the characters, Millie Bobby Brown as Enola is really fun to watch and play along with. She's empowered, spunky and quirky, bravely searching for her mother. She does make dangerous decisions, but it's an adventure not to miss. Tewkesbury was also a fun character to watch, acting as Enola's sidekick and love interest. Sherlock and Mycroft were mainly side characters in this movie, but it was nice watching them both try to protect their sister from danger. Enola has a strong relationship with her mother, who raised her as a single mom growing up.

While the story line wasn't SUPER thrilling, the plot twists and fast pace of the film will hook viewers of any age, especially children who enjoy colorful movies with strong messages.

The movie sets are also really charming, with beautiful countryside scenery and late 1800s towns and cities. The cheerful, upbeat tone of the movie and character of Enola is a contrast to the setting of the film, but makes it all the more gripping to watch unfold.

If you're looking for a sweet/funny/entertaining mystery to pass the time with, Enola Holmes is the right choice.

Adult Written byAmomwho September 30, 2020

Violent for young great for late elementary

Loved this movie and so did my 8 and 10 year old. Great messages throughout of doing the right thing and helping others. The end is a little gory and it was disturbing to see one fight scene where enola was being held under water but the main character let the viewer in on the fact that she was alright quickly.

Adult Written byMeggyann September 28, 2020

Not Like Other Girls

Why couldn't she have learned science and sports AND embroidery?

And also that line about corsets being a symbol of oppression? YIKES.

Adult Written byJAinVA September 28, 2020

Blah. Enola's Okay.

The new Enola Holmes doesn't have anything really offensive in it but it is a boring movie. A teenage girl's mother runs away and Enola fights against her brothers' desire to send her to boarding school. This movie just fell flat for me. I kept waiting to like it. Finnick Odair from The Hunger Games trilogy played one of Enola's brothers and I kept waiting to see his character sparkle but his character never really blossomed. The actors did a good job but this movie was just uninspiring for me. My girls, ages 10 and 14, watched this movie but I don't think they would ask to watch it again.