Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Erin Brockovich

Legal drama based on a true story has lots of cursing.

Adult Written byHekateIsis April 24, 2009

My Review

I really enjoyed this movie and have watched it throughout the years. However due to some sexual content I don't think it would be a good one for children under 15.

Adult Written bywonder dove November 9, 2012

I love this movie!

What a wonderful film! The fact that it's a true story is even better. Erin Brockovich is an incredible woman. She raises three great children and needs a job to support her family. She is a smart, dedicated, out spoken person who gets things done. Her character seems wild at first because of the stress she goes through trying to feed her family but you later find out what a fantastic person she is. So caring and kind, eager to help those in need. This movie is perfect for teens who don't mind a lot of cursing and parents who don't mind allowing it. Erin swears frequently throughout the whole film and she drops an "F" bomb at least in every other sentence! There are other semi-harsh words used more than once like [email protected], [email protected], B*tch, Stupid, Sh*t, F-you, F-off...etc. Lots of yelling and arguing too. Erin sometimes swears in front of her kids (no f-words though). Erin has a short romantic relationship with her caring, motorcyclist neighbor, they kiss sometimes. They're seen kissing and cuddling in bed at one point. Erin is seen in her bra for a minute. There isn't much violence except the stories of people mysteriously dying or getting ill, a photo of dead chickens seen, stories may frighten younger kids. There is also some smoking and drinking (not much). All around terrific story with a lot of positive messages, a great role model and a lot you or your child can learn from. Mature 14 year olds recommended!!

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 June 22, 2015

Roberts anchors emotional heavy hitter

This is an Oscar role right here. All Julia Roberts had to do was put in the work to bring the right amount of sass, dedication and truth to the real life Erin B., and there you have it. She's in every scene of the movie and you never get tired of watching her. Her provocative clothes don't define her, her actions define her. Her relationship doesn't make or break her life, and that's why I'm glad Soderbergh chose how he chose to portray her. Albert Finney is also a real treat in this film, the huffy, frustrated Ed makes for a good partner in crime, or in this case partners against crime. The plot is never too complicated even though the issue of water contamination is. It's an adult movie in that it deals with themes mostly aimed at adults: raising children and balancing work, them and a love life, fighting big corporations. But if teens want to get in on the action, show them the TV edit like I did. Deserved all the Oscar love.

Adult Written byLowe's man February 25, 2014

a great way for those 15 and up to learn about the law

How persistent the title character was! This movie shows how one person can make a big difference. It was because of Erin's persistence that this case was investigated and heard. It also shows the ways in which businesses sometimes operate. It also tells viewers that businesses will sometimes only respond to the needs of their customers if they're taken to court. Because PG&E got taken to trial, everyone's life improved. This movie shows how the power of one benefits all.
Adult Written byShivs January 2, 2011

Inspirational story, but contains strong language

I've watched Erin Brockovich many times and enjoyed it on every occasion. Julia Roberts is wonderful and the story has many positive messages about fighting for what you believe in, although the language content (frequent f**k and sh**) may be too much for younger teenagers. Sexual references also call for a more mature audience.

Parent of a 11, 18+, and 18+ year old Written byMelissaSL January 10, 2018

The Best!

This movie was one of the best I’ve seen in about... FOREVER! Julia Roberts was amazing and the message was truly beautiful. The movie is about perceiving through life’s challenges. Julia’s Character Erin was a big curser and had two ex’s and kids at an early age but the movie was amazing! There is also a bit of sadness because people are being affected by poison but no noticeable deaths. There is some sexy parts but nothing much easy to cover up your kids heads! 10000000 stars! ~Olivia, age 11

Adult Written byCinefile97 March 19, 2018

Tour de Roberts!

For many, the term movie star might elicit names such as Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, and/or Denzel Washington. However, with no disrespect to those aforementioned juggernauts of the cineplex, when I think movie star, Julia Roberts is the first name to come to mind, and one need only view her Oscar-winning performance in this Steven Soderbergh courtroom drama to understand why. Strong, vulnerable, complex, and all together captivating, Roberts' Brockovich is a compelling and relatable working-class underdog, who though abrasive upon first glance, is ultimately one of modern cinema's most winning and memorable heroines. While I could continue to sing praises of Roberts' performance for days, I must affirm that every other aspect of this 2000 breakout hit is likewise well executed. From Susannah Grant's crowd-pleasing screenplay to Soderbergh's brisk direction to the wonderful performances of the supporting cast (Special shout out to the always delightful Albert Finney!), Erin Brockovich is a gem of a motion picture that even the most casual of moviegoers shouldn't miss.