Kid reviews for Evita

Madonna performs in bloated but stirring musical.

Musical Fun for Ages 12 and up!

Evita is the musical story of Eva Duarte de Peron, the spirited leader of Argentina in the 40's. Eva rises above poverty and a scandalous past to marry Argentine leader Juan Peron. She helps his campaign and he becomes President, catapulting her into a position of great power and influence. Eva is played by Madonna and Antonio Banderas is Che, the narrator to the story who always happens to be where Eva is (big conincidence). The supporting cast includes Johnathan Pryce as Peron, and Jimmy Nail as Eva's former lover, the singer Agustin Magaldi. Mild Sex, Violence, and Language make this film innapropriate for anyone under the age of tweleve though. But if you decide this film is alright for your child, you will love it!
Kid, 10 years old October 13, 2010

great for older children but not for very young children

I love this movie alll though its very sad and has quite alot of violance but still good and it has one of the most famous show tunes in it (dont cry for me argentina) and its a great tribute to eva peron.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybibliophile January 3, 2009

Beautiful

This movie was delightful! The singing was wonderful, and I LOVE Antonio Banderas' voice! Even more than Gerard Butler in Phantom of the Opera. There is some content. The sex is mentioned in CSM's review, but there is more language than they mention including d-mn, h-ll, God's name in vain, -ss, and some others. So be cautious when you watch this movie. I recommend an edited version, such as ClearPlay DVD Player (clearplay.com)
Teen, 13 years old Written byZoelopez December 31, 2013

Evita, great songs and story

This musical and Wicked are my favourites! The songs are amazing, the story is amazing, and the actors are amazing! Everything you need to make a good musical is in this musical. You really feel sympathy for Eva. The movie also shows how Eva started up a lot of women's rights in Argentina. The story is really good too which I find is rare with musicals these days. There is some aftermath of sex which might be enough to make kids not want to see it. There's also some hard to watch scenes like Eva's death, tornadoes, wars, shootings, and violent protests. The one thing about the movie that bugs me and other Broadway fans is that they picked Madonna and you can't compare Madonna to the original, which is Patti Lupone. Patti will always be Eva but a least they could've picked someone in the Broadway community like Idina Menzel. Aside from Madonna Evita was and always will be, for me one of the best musicals.

Teen, 17 years old Written bywhenatlasshrugs March 15, 2013

Lovely

I'm in love with the musical, and I think the movie version is quite good. As this IS based on a rock opera, there will be lots and lots of singing. There's very little actual dialogue, so it may be hard to follow at times. It's heavy in political themes that younger kids might not understand, and there's a fair amount of violence and swearing. Eva herself is quite an interesting figure. While her means and manipulation aren't exactly the best models of good behavior, I think her story is something that touches all of us--the story of how one person can beat the odds and rise to heights that everyone tells them they will never reach.

Kid, 12 years old September 3, 2014

Too long

I think you need to be older to appreciate this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 May 29, 2011

Not very graphic, but waay too graphic for a PG rating; an excellent Andrew Lloyd Webber adaptation.

My rating: PG-13 for sexual content/sensuality, brief strong language and violent war-related images.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMollyos98 June 28, 2015

It's a rock opera

Of course there's a lot of singing; Andrew Lloyd Weber composed this as a rock opera. Opera is the art of telling a story with music, particularly singing. So of course there will be a lot of singing. This could be irritating to some people, but I really enjoyed this movie. There are some fairly risqué lyrics and implications, but it's nothing that a 13 year old couldn't handle. Eva is an independent woman who wants to help her people, and while she doesn't always do it in the most honorable of ways, she does what she can with what she has. It definitely falls into more than one genre of movie, as it is a romance, a drama, and a musical, but I don't really think that's terrible. All in all, I enjoyed Evita and have recommended it to some of my friends.