Parent reviews for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Intense, over-full sequel has lots of wizarding violence.

Parent Written byNarnia's November 17, 2018

Remember it is called the "Crimes of Grindelwald"

Small spoilers be warned. Most of this movie is very entertaining, violent, but keeps your attention. I also loved the relationship plot between the two main characters. I give a warning though, there is a lot of personal political opinions in this movie which can ruin a movie for me no matter how great the images look and feel. It's like making a great looking cake and putting dirt as the filling. One part really was overlooked by the director and crew. There is a relationship past in this movie that is brought up and I find that if it were true it would be a toxic relationship not because of who they are or their gender, but one who cannot let go of a psycho killer that kill totters has major issues and hurts his character as a looked up to strong teacher and one who has lots of wisdom. This teaches kids that even if the one you love is planning to kill people and does, you can still have a crush on them. Not a good message! I think they missed this one! Sadly it makes any scene with this person hard to believe or think he should be so looked up to, even if by some means you can put a love spell on the greatest wizard of all time. I hope this is shared as we need not indulge in teaching toxic relationships and when our kids see this movie we need to know how to teach them what is wrong about that relationship. Also one of my favorite characters is somehow taken by the evil side of things, because of this characters ability it makes it very hard to believe this could happen as they would know Grindelwald's past and future intent therefor, the killing of children and innocent people. These things made the movie less than I had hoped for and that is why I have shared them. I hope this entire review is shared so I know that commonsense is not paid off like a lot of other review sites.

Adult Written byNh23 November 15, 2018

Not as good as good as the first one.

Me as a Hardcore Harry Potter fan find it entertaining, but normal viewers will find this one rather disappointing. I'd advise that you read all 7 Harry Potter Books, because the books explore Grindelwald and Dumbledore past, so the movie will be a bit confusing for people who haven't read the books. This one explores Dumbledore and Grindelwalds Relationship, and also explores the Hallows, The Elder Wand, The Invisibility Cloak and The Resurrection Stone. If I were you I would watch it with my kids because it the Darkest Wizarding Film yet, Lots of people die from The Killing Curse including a baby (not baby Harry) . If your kid is not use to jump scares this is not the one for them Viewer Descretion Advised. PG-13 Violence.

Adult Written bymrmatyshak November 17, 2018

Must see

It was amazing. Go see it don't listen to all the bad reviews they have NO IDEA what they are talking about AT ALL!!!#
Adult Written byMomof4OK November 17, 2018
While I’d recommend the first movie for ages 10+, this one is more appropriate for slightly older kiddos, due to its scarier beasts, violence, and hard-to-follow storyline. This movie is very dark. Several characters are killed violently. There is also the death of two infants — one killed by an evil wizard off-screen, behind a closed door, and the other by drowning, which is depicted by a baby blanket sinking down in the water. This could be very upsetting for sensistive viewers. Also, the storyline is hard to follow and requires a lot of attention. There are many references and ties to the Harry Potter story, so viewers who aren’t familiar with the details of that story may especially have a hard time following. It also lacks the comic relief and the many “cute” beasts that the first movie had. I would recommend this for kids who are already familiar with the HP story and who are not overly sensitive to violence and death.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byHayneskresge November 20, 2018

Way too much for my 12 year old

This movie was made for adults. One of my kids was ok but the other was pretty traumatized and even had a rare nightmare last night. The bad guys are really bad yet kind of appealing and the good guys are hardly good at all. It’s very intense the whole way through. The kids who are in it are not at all nice or likeable and young Dumbledore was more manipulative and less kind and wise. My kid who was very upset by the movie couldn’t quite articulate why beyond that it was “intense garbage” and “didn’t seem like a Harry Potter movie.” I wish we hadn’t seen it in the theater and had watched it at home so we could pause and check in or just turn it off. This same kid is ok with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit movies, etc, but this one just crushed him. Hope this helps other parents avoid the night we had last night.

Adult Written byMovies4kids November 17, 2018

Too Dark for kids

Way too dark. Zero positivity. Nothing good for young minds. This is NOT like Harry Potter- save it for adult date night

Adult Written byACEGIKMOQSUWY November 16, 2018

It was a terrible let down after the first Fantastic Beasts movie

Every scene was in the shadows, at night or in fog or smoke. Ever word seemed to be whispered and with a heavy accent. Bottom line most can not follow the movie, there is little to no plot. It was terrible. We really loved the first Fantastic Beasts movie this was such a let down.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byfirefly23 November 17, 2018

Should be rated R

This movie is not for the weak at heart. Dark undertones throughout. Starts with very intense plot and just gets more evil throughout. This is not a suitable movie for children. Save your time and money

Parent of a 11 year old Written byA.A.Zheluk November 16, 2018

My daughter loved this movie!

My daughter and I loved this movie! It was really entertaining, and I was a big fan of Grinderwald (played by Jonny Depp). Would totally recommend to anyone who likes a good David Attenborough film.
Adult Written byDanDe November 28, 2018

Truly Fantastic! If your child is old enough to watch Harry Potter they are old enough imo to see this new adventure!

Saw this with my 10 year old son (who is actually more of a ‘softy’ than my daughter was at his age) and we both LOVED this movie! First I must say I had my concerns from reading the reviews and all the sensationalism over the trailers and from the critics. As a concerned mother of two I no longer walk into any movie without a little research first! However I found that the rumors are just rumors and this was a wonder filled magical experience! One issue of major concern seems to be the notion that young Dumbledore has an unhealthy toxic relationship with our villain Grindelwald, that his feelings for him cloud his judgement and prevent him from acting against Grindelwald. THIS IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE! There is an obvious explanation for Dumbledore’s inability to move toward Grindelwald that is portrayed very clearly here and is the main plot of this movie! I won’t give any spoilers other than to encourage others to take the rumors with a grain of salt and see for yourself! On other notes the movie is long but fast paced, we sat through it without a single bathroom break! All of the acting is superb and the storytelling is magical! There is some violence in this new film that I would rate on par with the first few HP movies. While it is horribly tragic it is not explicitly graphic (one is not shown but rather suggested, the other is portrayed as a memory) and if your child has watched a superhero movie they have probably already seen more violence than you will see in this. Messages in this are relevant and positive for the most part... I did not feel as if there were any bigger political agendas here, just good solid story building... We almost missed this film due to the critics but went to see it due to the reviews that encouraged seeing it for yourself and I am so glad we did!

Adult Written byAkshat13400 November 18, 2018

Breathtaking magical experience! A must watch!

Adult Written byHNewcomb November 19, 2018
Great movie but plenty of Harry Potter type of violence.

Adult Written byVernessa November 18, 2018

Satisfied with the movie

I Can't believe how awesome this movie is, I was so sad Harry Potter ended, it felt like my childhood also ended. When I heard about this movie Fantastic Beast I was curious and my husband took me to see it. It's so well made I can't wait for part 3.

Parent Written byYvette G. November 16, 2018

The first one was better.

I think it is no more violent than Star Wars.

Adult Written byJoelle Z. November 23, 2018

I walked out of the theater. It's that bad.

Alright, here we go. This movie, if it can even be called that, is really bad. The violence is so-so, there are a few tense and somewhat cringe-inducing scenes (a man gets a worm pulled out of his eye), and there is no inappropriate language or sexual scenes, which makes sense for a Harry Potter franchise breakout. But this movie is an A grade flop in every other sense. My sister and I walked out near the END of the movie because we were utterly confused and incredulous as to how anyone knew what was going on. There are about 8 different plots happening all at once, 10 to 15 characters you're supposed to follow and care about, and it erases everything interesting about the first movie. I am a die-hard Harry Potter fan and by the end of this movie, I didn't care a single bit about the characters that I once loved. This movie is TERRIBLY written and a mush of winding stories and confusing (not to mention never-ending) plot twists. Let this be a warning. It's safe for kids but if you like intriguing plots, character development, and quality entertainment, I would take your child to literally anything else.
Adult Written byjedinikki November 21, 2018

Great Acting,beautiful costumes.

Adult Written byCrabbygringo November 20, 2018

Too confusing

If you do not possess a fair amount of background info you will be totally confused. I did not realize this and had no idea what was going on. I was ready to leave after 30 minutes.
Adult Written bykupimay1 November 20, 2018

Fantastic Beasts: The crimes of grindelwald

This film is so good , it is gives me more exciting then the first one. :) The characters are so perfect, love the scene with Albus/Gellert as teens it would've been better if they would talk. :) Can't wait for the next one in FB and hope to have Gellert/Albus talk and have a scene together.

Adult Written byJulia-May November 28, 2018

I loved the movie

It was a really good movie, i would highly recommend for friends and family, if you enjoyed the 1st one you'll enjoy this one as well
Adult Written byejackson23 November 22, 2018