Parent reviews for Father of the Bride

Father of the Bride Poster Image

Great film!-Just wish this site didn’t drop the ball with the adult content.

Enjoyed this movie when I was a kid and was excited to share it with my own kids. Didn’t remember anything wrong with it, so as is our custom, we checked CommonSenseMedia first. When we saw the rating and that there were “no sex or language issues present”, we sat the family down for a movie night. Obviously we were surprised when a couple mature jokes/lines were spoken (“don’t forget to fasten your condom... er, uh, seatbelt!” and “don’t you remember all the rooms we did it in in my parents’ house?!”). Really wish there was a warning when we checked CommonSenseMedia.org before watching with our kids.
22 people found this helpful.

Steve Martin is absolutely hilarious as the over-anxious dad; I'd go 12 and up on this one.

CSM's review missed the fact that there are several sexual references: the parents talk about how 'we did it in every room of your parent's house when we were younger', there's a condom gag reference, and two scenes of deep kissing to be aware of.
4 people found this helpful.
1 person found this helpful.

This funny movie made me a Steve Martin fan.

The only movie that is an overall favorite of mine more than this is the Kelsey Grammer musical version of A Christmas Carol, which did not look like it was available for review here yet. I like several Steve Martin movies now, but this remake is his best work. And Kimberly Williams is gorgeous as his daughter who becomes a bride. There are a few PG moments in it like the line where condoms are mentioned. There is also some drinking, but not a whole lot. This is not a violent film at all.

Great Steve Martin film he has done it again

In this movie there is one scene were Brian and George go to a bar but nobody gets drunk they barley are shown drinking and one scene were Brian and Annie are shown making out for a couple of seconds

Great mom & daughter movie for tweens on up

Great movie! I can't believe I haven't watched this with my 11 year old daughter yet. The main character is a great role model as a terrific big sister, smart independent daughter and very mature young woman. Only one sexual innuendo--George slips and says "be sure to fasten your condoms" as they head out for a date. Watching this is on my to-do list for this weekend.

Adorable family movie...

My daughters love it and want to watch it all the time! (I want the soundtrack from this!) The father/daughter relationship is so sweet! A teensy bit iffy; one sexual innuendo that I can remember.

not rated for age

Great, Fun, Family Night Entertainment!

I hadn't seen FATHER OF THE BRIDE before and decided to give it a try. I was impressed. The movie follows George Banks, the average father who has to deal with his daughter Annie, who suddenly returns from studies in Rome with the news that she's marrying. The groom is perfect, the in-laws kind, and the wedding consultant Franc (a HILAROIUS Martin Short) is great, so what's there to deal with? George (Steve Martin) and his wife Nina (Diane Keaton) have to deal with letting their daughter go. And since it's Steve Martin we're talking about, we know we're in for some laughs along the way. Sex is minor, with one innuendo. When Annie and the groom Brian go for a drive, George accidentally belts "don't forget to fasten your condom" instead of seatbelt. Violence consists of some comic pratfalls, and there is no language. This is great family entertainment. There is something in it for everybody. Highly recommended.
not rated for age