All parent member reviews for Fiddler on the Roof

Adult Written bywhateverfloats September 14, 2009
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian December 31, 2012

Climb on Up--Just Watch for some Slippery Shingles

Another gem of musical film, "Fiddler" is my second favorite. Tevye's struggle to balance tradition with wanting to let their daughters follow their hearts is a good topic for family discussion, as are the issues raised by the deep faith, and treatment of, the Jews. (This is notable in part because one character respects his Jewish neighbors, yet is pressured into persecuting them). Again, the song and dance numbers will bring you great delight, and the overarching message of faith and family in the face of adversity will, too. I recommend this for older children only, for several reasons. Length is an issue; know who is and isn't mature enough to sit through it. Moreover, younger kids may be confused at the social issues and traditions raised, and frightened by some scenes. (These include the violence at Tzeitel's wedding, a brief scene of revolutionaries being arrested, and the scary-for-youngsters Fruma Sarah scene). Also, parents will need to discuss Tevye's reaction to Chava's interfaith marriage. Even if your personal faith doesn't condone marriage outside its confines, please stress to young viewers that disowning a child for this or any reason--and moreover, in effect, saying that child is dead, is not acceptable. You may also need to discuss the slur "Christ-killers" with some kids. One scene features drinking and should be pointed out as negative as well. With this in mind, enjoy, and la chaim.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byGypsy101 December 20, 2012

Discretion advised but a wonderful film

I have been watching this film for as long as I can remember, and I'm 38 now. As a child, all I really remember are the songs, which are catchy and very enjoyable. Now I'm older I of course understand the political messages, the religious intolerance and the various other messages. Living in the 21st century it's hard to imagine it being a big deal to choose ones own husband, or to marry someone of another faith, but I feel it's important to educate children on the past, present and future. Younger children won't understand much but will appreciate the songs and music. Older children can join discussions about the topics listed in the main review. Some drinking, mainly in celebration, and implied violence rather than actual.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

simply fantastic

The best musical movie ever made!! The soundtrack is amazing!
Adult Written byLowe's man May 27, 2016

deep with many messages

While I'd be cautious about showing this movie to anyone under age 9, the songs can be listened to by kids of any age. (If you can find the songs on vinyl, cassette or cd you should make the purchase!) Once children get to be about 9 they'll understand the concepts of things like arranged marriages. Many people think that this movie, and the stage play upon which it is based, is all about tradition. Yes and no. It is, but it's also about giving up traditions. More specifically, the message is all about deciding which traditions to keep and which ones to give up. Traditions are good in and of themselves, as they provide a sense of security, as well as belonging and identity. But traditions can also be stifling if gone overboard, as doing so can sometimes close us off to new and good ideas. That is the message that this movie portrays- balance. When Tevye learned that his daughters were marrying for love he was dead set against it at first but eventually came to terms with the notion that they were right. Today we all marry for love (or should marry for love), and to have it any other way is laughable, but that's the way things were in certain parts of the world in 1905. Moreover, while gender roles were strict and clearly defined, women were more liberated here than it would appear on the surface. Take the dream sequence where Lazer Wolf's first wife, Fruma Sara, came back from the dead. She felt that Zitel's feelings were important, a view not always considered in 1905. While the second half has a much darker tone than the jubilant first half, the second half makes us feel for the characters all the more. Moreover, while this movie is overtly religious, everyone, religious or not, can identify with it and enjoy it. This is especially interesting to those who'd like to know about what parts of Russia used to be like over 100 years ago. I'd highly recommend this movie, as well as a stage production.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byJirah96 August 21, 2010

Where can I download it?

I Like it but... the download .. where can I download it???