Parent reviews for Finding Neverland

Emotional J.M. Barrie biopic has some mature themes.

Parent of a 17 and 17-year-old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

Adult Written byjohnnydepp January 19, 2012

a little bit too much improper use of little boys

OMG JOHNNY DEPP'S INCREDIBLE FORMIDABLE IRISH/WHATEVER ACCENT WAS SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPERB (AS USUAL).............I JUST LOVE THAT LITTLE BOY.

Parent of a 6 and 10-year-old Written byironman2 September 29, 2011

Finding Neverland has made Kate Winslet and Johnny Depp look really good

This was a very inspiring movie about J.M Barrie and the four children who inspired Peter Pan. I really loved this. If your children have trouble with writing because of lack of imagination. Then this a movie full of imagination for them. It helped my son with writing because he used to have lack of imangination.

Parent of a 16-year-old Written byJane Austen fan August 21, 2009

A very touching movie

This film presents a very positive message and is a lovely film, overall. However, younger children may become bored but if they are interested, I see no harm in it.

Adult Written byAmeliaKaderWood June 29, 2009

Need to watch movie

All I can say is that this film was truly amazing. It was very touching and sad, this movie will definitely bring tears to your eyes. All thanks to the wonderful performance of talented cast. Johnny (Depp) does some superb acting (as usual) and Freddie (Highmore) was very impressive. But this film isn't about Peter Pan, it's about the author of the wonderful classic. So, don't expect any Pirates or fairies, although they do a stage play in the movie, and it has some of the characters from Neverland. Anyways, this film is really awesome, and I recommend it. But be prepared with some Tissue ;)
Adult Written byMom_and_Son March 1, 2009

Brilliant. A must see for Johnny Depp fans

I watched this movie on a plane when I was nine and I actually enjoyed it. Dont expect an entire Peter Pan movie. This, in a way, a behind the scenes look.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

wonderful

A finely tuned film in every aspect.
Adult Written byksrh99 April 9, 2008

A sophisticated movie fit for 11 and older

Finally ... a movie I can take my 12-year-old to that has more substance than drama queens and princess-wanna-bees but isn't full of inappropriate behaviors and language. A sophisticated and magical movie that makes you think. Well worth the ticket price. There is some content that may be a little too sad for those under 10. :)
Adult Written byOlivePadfoot April 9, 2008

A classic.

A brilliant movie with outstanding acting, use of color, storyline and emotion. The plot moves along graciously and effortlessly, captivating you and making this movie impossible to stop watching. I cry everytime at the end.

Note that it contains many thematic elements that younger children may not understand or like.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008
Adult Written bycagseg April 9, 2008

A Good Story

Judging by the promos, this movie looks like it might be for children but it really isn't. While I enjoyed the story, sad ending and all, this movie will be too slow and emotional for pre-teens and children. Beautiful photography and special effects. Great acting by Johnny Depp.
Adult Written bydenmarkriot April 9, 2008

sad but magical

Beautifully made, it truly captures the essence of childhood imagination but also the essene of childhood fears. This movie is true to life, vivid and engrossing. Even those who generally don't enjoy sad endings will not be put off by this one--it has the feeling of fulfillment and is full of hope.

It's also an unusual take on the standard Peter Pan story--Johnny Depp is wonderful as J.M. Barrie.

Recommended for ages 11 and up. A serious movie, may be a bit slow for younger kids, but overall brilliantly done.
Adult Written bySonia Montejano April 9, 2008

good but sad

The characters suffer from tragic events.. and it especially gets me because they are kids. Movie deals w/ serious issues (divorce, occupation, death), but plays down the severity a lot.
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008

Johnny Depp is great, one of a kind movie

Adult Written byIheartJohnny April 9, 2008

Simply Brilliant

This is my all time favorite movie. It tells the story of how J.M Barrie comes to write the famous "Peter Pan" play. For younger audiences this movie could be a little slow. Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet are simple amazing together and they both give brilliant performances. This really is a MUST SEE movie.
Adult Written bybrooklyn12 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byLoriL April 9, 2008

Touching, beautiful film!

A wonderful movie! There was some question about his marriage falling apart, but no adultery is shown or even implied. He needed to spend time with his wife, and I did talk to my children about that while watching the movie, but he did not have any physical relationship with "the other woman". I found no "possible improper interest in young boys" as was mentioned with Common Sense Media. He merely spent time with these children, showing them how to be children. If this is considered "improper interest", then Big Brothers, Big Sisters may as well shut its doors. As for the pirate play, it was boys playing. There was a sad death, but a good ending.