Parent reviews for Fred: The Movie

YouTube star's movie is fraught with disaster for tweens.

Parent of a 7 year old Written bybtgoss October 3, 2010

Another example of the horrible Nickelodeon programming. Avoid at all costs.

This movie is awful. Pure and simple. But if you have managed to keep your children from knowing who Luis Cruikshank is, and his awful little alter ego Fred Figglehorn, this movie will lead them into further discovery. Fred Figglehorn is the dysfunctional character created by Cruikshank. Fred, in his previous YouTube videos is a 6 year old boy. Living in a trailer with his Grandmother. His Father is in prison for murder, and his Mother is an habitual substance abuser. This obviously twisted view of the "real world" may be explained by Cruikshank's home schooling. Who knows. What is obvious is that the character of Fred has no positive traits. While children need to be exposed to the dark side of reality from time to time, exposure to such an obviously twisted world view is not good. Unless you home school your children because the world is filled with drunks and murderers. Then this is the show for you.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byconcernedparent75 September 19, 2010
Nick is CLEARLY not trying to appeal to any audience under 13 with this awful movie. We had to turn it off within the first 20 minutes after Fred repeatedly used the word "Gammit"; in place of "the D word" (like younger kids can't figure THAT out) The mother is an awful role model, as well. Seriously, why even air this movie during prime time and why market it to death during shows that ARE appropriate for the younger aged kiddos?? Horrible decision from a parenting point of view, Nick. Horrible.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byJUST A MOM September 20, 2010
I am sad that Nick can rate this movie "G". Let's see - spin the bottle, drunk mom who is passed out, throwing up, making out in a closet, gammit, bully scenes, next level with girls, naked man on the toilet, etc... Are you kidding me? I have a 7 and 9 year old, Our country disappoints me every day. What's next?

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byDavidMichaelNutmeg October 4, 2015

Amazing, Hardcore Character Piece

This is, without a doubt, one of the most amazing movies I have had the pleasure of seeing with my children in recent years. It is an in-depth character piece about an insane, maniacal middle-school aged boy by the name of Fred Figglehorn who stalks a young girl by the name of Judy with the intent of capturing her and sexually assaulting her. He suffers from OCD, Paranoia and Schizophrenia and is noted to have participated in the gang rape of several dogs at a pet store. It is a dark, gritty, and depressing look at modern society through the eyes of the youth. I would definitely recommend for family viewing, both of my young children were big fans. I believe children under the age of 5 will get the most out of this movie. Peace.

Adult Written bymaddygmoo September 19, 2010
What!?!?!? This movie is NOT bad! Sure, there is some language, but it IS appropriate!!

Adult Written byacary September 18, 2010
Horrible movie! Within the first 4 mins of the movie he is talking about his girlfriend and taking it to the next level. I turned it off right then and told my children I will watch it later to see if it got better or worse.n It got worse!!!! My children do not need to see stuff like this and its just sad that the media has hyped this up so much for children ages 8-12 to watch. There is horrible bullying, Fred destroys stuff in his personal rages, the mother doesn't act like she cares and looks like she is on drugs...all this within the first 30 minutes. Just a really bad movie!

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byonboard September 28, 2010

Trashy, any way you look at it!

I CANNOT believe this movie is rated "G" for General audiences!!!!! BE AWARE, VIEW WITH CARE even "G" ratings!! I found it to be TOTALLY unacceptable for BOTH of my children (ages 10 and 12)! It had some funny parts in the beginning (to draw the kids in). It went DOWNHILL, fast, from there!!

Parent of a 7 year old Written bymrswhite September 22, 2010

Not for the age that it was intended for! Careful!

Terrible - shocked that it was advertised through i-carly which attracts the 6 and 7 year olds. The party scene is very inappropriate for the age group they have attracted to watch this movie. It is suggestive as to what kids should expect to see at a party. VERY DISAPPOINTED IN NICK.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byNicoleR 4 December 25, 2015

Honestly, my favorite movie.

Anybody who knows me would not believe that this movie is my favorite. Honor student, fairly excelling in my field, with a pretty level head on my shoulders, I can't believe I can watch this movie so often and chuckle every time! Lucas has a classic comedic style, and although the scenes are slow, if you have watched comedy sketches on YouTube as much as I have, it is no different than watching an old Smosh video. This movie has impacted me so much, I took the time to write my feelings on it. Nobody seems to see how delightful and humorous it really is! This is not a terrible movie at all. I have it on DVD, and I will continue to watch it on bad days to cheer me up for many years to come! Thank you, Lucas!

Adult Written bycabaretmummy October 26, 2011

Awful

As others have said, there's an alcoholic mother, mild language, pseudo-sexual themes, bullying, the list goes on Did anyone else notice the man in the pet store refer to Fred as a "gangbanger"? I really didn't think it was appropriate at all.

Adult Written byPcolaMommy September 18, 2010

NOT A "G" MOVIE!!! INAPPROPRIATE!!!!

Terrible movie for young kids!!! It's even questionable for my middle schooler. I do NOT want my young daughters seeing a teen boy in his boxers. Nor do I want to explain to them what "sex appeal" is! We tuned in because it was rated G. IT IS NOT APPROPRIATE!!!!

Parent of a 11 year old Written byDoodlesBelle October 11, 2010

Not Appropriate for its Intended Audience

This movie is geared to the tweens and young teens yet it is filled with messages that aren't approriate. There were several sexual innuendo's that conveyed that was an expected behavior for this age. Though most kids know cuss words and are not allowed to use such language this movie used "sounds like cussing" words so he could side step the rules which I found sent a bad message. His mother came across as a self-absorbed, substance abuser and his father was absent but he clearly wanted his presence so he imagined a wrestling figure to fill that role. It was just not appropriate for its intended audience.

Parent Written byMissbrenda August 8, 2014

OFF THE CHARTS ANNOYING!

This movie is SOOOO annoying that I actually stopped what I was previously doing online to search this movie with a mission of finding a way to leave a negative review. It is by far the most irritating, ridiculous, and annoying movie I have ever heard or seen. No doubt its funny to my (or any other) kid. Likely because its so stupid that kids actually think its silly. The level of obnoxiousness and screaming, no I'm sorry, the amount of SCREECHING, is like nails on a chalkboard. I actually went as far as to tell my son that this MOVIE WILL NEVER BE SEEN ON OUR TELEVISION AFTER TONIGHT. The only reason I'm allowing him to continue is because its Friday night, it's not violent, but I have had a long week at work and it is keeping him entertained at the moment when my mind is completely spent. The voice on this kid/guy is seriously giving me heartburn. I cannot stress enough the annoyance factor here. I am fuming mad that any company produced, funded, or created this ridiculousness. This is not entertainment, this is nothing short of stupid (and I hate that word). I'm sure I sound very judgmental and uptight but as a Mom who is careful about what her child watches, this is nothing more than an excuse for a session of yelling and screeching with the utmost annoying voice. Thumbs down, please don't put yourself through this. It honestly is torture.
Adult Written byMaswick01 April 6, 2012

Cursing, Bullying, and Disrespect. Awful movie with no values or morals!

This movie is AWFUL! My kids are NOT allowed to watch it. The entire message of the movie advocates cursing, bullying, and not respecting your parents. In one part of the movie, "Kevin" the bully tells his mom to drive around the block so that he can make fun of "Fred" who is standing on the street, she tells him, "no" and he yells at her, so she does it. He tells her to do it again, and once again she tells him "no" and he threatens to tell his dad on her, then she gets scared and pleads with him not to tell his father, and yet again drives by "Fred" so that "Kevin" can harass and bully him. "Fred uses words such as "gammit" and in one part they are at a dam, and that is made into to sound like cursing also. It is an awful movie all around. I was appalled that a childrens television network would endorse, promote, and let a movie/show like this appear on their network. It says a lot about them, their standards, and their values.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byBerrybramble September 19, 2010

Stupid for any age.

Affter 10 mintues we turned it off. What a waste of time. Hated it
Parent of a 3 year old Written byAxelgotitmemorized September 19, 2010

This movie Killed "Fred"

I used to watch "Fred", and i used to like it, but when he got famous he went downhill. This movie killed "Fred", with the language, sexual references, and he was in Middle-School. in the original series he was five. I just hated this movie, I only kept watching it to see John Cena, I'm a WWE fan, and Janette McCurdy (I think that's how her name is spelled), I would never let small children watch this.

Adult Written bypray4kids September 18, 2010

Pray harder for our youth

Absolutely terrible. What kind of message is this movie trying to make? Let's be shallow, poke fun at people, wear so much makeup it looks like the girls should be in a broadway play or walking the street? Oh, just love the drunk mother hanging around in her robe and night gown...what a horrible portrayal of parenting...just an all around bad message. Time to pray harder for our kids....

Adult Written byCJ H. April 9, 2018

11/10 Quality Stuff

Fred is the perfect film for kids of all ages. It teaches fantastic life skills while also implementing vital life lessons. It has a beautiful blend of all ethnic backgrounds as well as supporting all genders. There is a tad bit of bullying however my team and I have decided that it is more than okay for children to feast their eyes upon it because of the character building aspect of life. Overall, this film is A OK!!!! However, it does get better from here because Fred 2: Night of The Living Fred and Fred 3: Camp Fred will quench your quality film taste buds even more.

Parent of a 7, 9, and 11 year old Written byjenniferl15 December 15, 2015

Jarringly Inappropriate

The movie promotes and normalizes bullying, stalking, voyeurism, child neglect, sexual themes, teen partying and sexual experimentation and includes profanity/very poor substitutions for curse words. It's inappropriate for any child but also very BAD. It's just an overall horrible piece of media. This movie should be forgotten forever and the character it is based off of should never receive a budget from a studio EVER again. It's so so bad.

Adult Written bytvconnoisseur June 17, 2015

Cerebral Hydrofluoric Acid Burns

It just makes you want to smash the TV!