All parent member reviews for Free Birds

Parent Written byangela2678 November 4, 2013

Giant waste of time

Ugh--what a giant waste of time. Even the KIDS thought it was awful. Boring, and every scene seemed drawn out way longer than necessary--my 12-year-old said after that it seemed like they were "filling in the time with stupid stuff." Seriously one of the worst kids' movies I've seen in years. Such a shame, because it was a cute concept and the preview looked great.
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byGammigorman November 9, 2013

Be careful

This is a silly movie that cost me a lot more than it was worth to take the grand kids. However, my biggest complaint was that one of the main characters had a crossed, drifting eye that she frequently had to "fix". I found that EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE. Laughing at crossed eyes is not funny. I had a child whose eye drifted even after three surgeries. I remember the hurt she felt at the jokes and cartoons. It is still painful to me to see this gag even after all these years. I cringed every time the gag was done in the movie wondering how many children might be hurting as this movie is shown. Why are we teaching children to laugh at someone's disability?
Parent Written byRobertW November 21, 2013

Skip it

As a Native American parent, I am skipping this one based on the information here. There's enough negative stereotyping out there already. I don't need to PAY to subject my kids to it.
Parent Written bylambertsmom November 22, 2013

Anti-Pilgrim, pro-vegetarian tripe!

This was a terrible movie for many, many reasons. There are several very scary, sad or violent scenes. The films makes Miles Standish out to be the equivalent of a Disney villain, Governor Winthrop acts like a moron, and the conclusion is that we should all spare the turkeys and have pizza for Thanksgiving. Just what I want the kids to see the month before I carve the bird!
Parent Written byDAD OF FIVE November 23, 2013

TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND TALENT - FIND SOMETHING ELSE

WHAT A WORTHLESS MOVIE. VERY FEW FUNNY LINES OR SCENES AND THE COMPLETELY TACKY PRESENTATION OF THE PILGRIMS JUST RUINED ANY VALUE OF THE FILM. PILGRIMS ARE REPRESENTED MORE LIKE BLOOD THIRSTY PIRATES THAN ANYTHING ELSE. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME GOING. THE FINAL MESSAGE ABOUT WHAT THANKSGIVING IS ABOUT IS ALSO SO WEAK, NOTHING AT ALL CLOSE TO THE REAL MESSAGE OF THE FIRST THANKSGIVING.
Parent Written bycalgreenusa November 3, 2013

This movie was GREAT !!!

More Power to the Birds !!! If you appreciate really good family entertainment, Free Birds is a must see as this movie grandly delivers good fun! We personally witnessed kids, teenagers, and yes even adults loving this movie while we watched it twice with two different sets of grand-children. Everyone liked it and would see it again ! For all young at heart people, but don't miss this movie !
Parent Written byDJM45 November 2, 2013

Great kids movie

I took my 5 year old and 9 year old to see this movie. Both thought it was great. The death of a supporting character had me concerned but both found the scene sad but didn't find it disturbing as the movie didn't dwell on it. This movie is definitely aimed at kids including the story line but it was a good afternoon out with the family.
Parent Written byJarreau Amann November 22, 2013

Perfect Movie For kids all ages :)

this movie is Perfect Fine for kids really parents .... you complain every kid movie comes out soon won't be kids movies anymore because complain way too much..
Educator and Parent Written bybcdiosa November 11, 2013

Good family fun movie for children under 9 years-old.

I took my 5 and 8 year-olds to this movie and they enjoyed it. Yes there were a couple of scenes where they said, "dang" but it wasn't extremely vulgar. There was a scene where an important character dies and I was afraid my kids might be scared/bothered by it but as I watched them during the scene it didn't seem to bother them. I don't recommend this movie for older children I think the over simplified story is more suitable to kids 9 and under. This is a good movie for younger kids and it is much more enjoyable than Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2.
Parent Written byElliottsMom June 28, 2014

Not terrible, average kiddie film fare

There are some really harsh reviews on here so I was dreading watching this with my son. This movie just isn't that bad. That said, there were many missed opportunities for in-jokes for the parents. The plot is predictable, but what kiddie movie plot isn't? Our nine-year-old liked it. There were some funny moments with S.T.E.V.E. There was nothing we found offensive or risque. The Miles Standish character is probably a bit scary for younger viewers; he's drawn to look pretty mean. And like in all kiddie movies, a parent must die, which is just so stupid. But my son is old enough to understand it's just a movie. Average family movie night fare.
Parent Written byEgs3 October 30, 2015

Subliminal Display of Cannabis Leaf

There appears to be a cannabis leaf displayed on the grass in the field when the rebel leader turkey abducts the main character from Camp David. There are seven leaves and they are all of uniform length (not smaller, like the bottom two should be) but it is pretty obvious (to an adult) and pretty invisible (to kids) except on a subliminal level.
Adult Written byMartyDX March 6, 2014

Great Movie

Mixes tradition, action and tech. Loved it.