Parent reviews for Free Guy

Likable video game comedy has guns, explosive action.

Parent of a 11 and 14-year-old Written byNicole R. August 16, 2021

Not family friendly. Appeals only to desensitized, conditioned minds.

This movie looked unique, interesting, and somewhat family friendly, but ugh,..within the first 15 minutes I realized the movie's trailer is deceiving. There's too much violence, too much vulgar language, too many crude references, and too much current culturally popular, insulting verbatim. Fast paced conversations are laced with profanity, as well as verbiage pertaining to virginity, white privilege, and insults about God being a "__)k". I know devoted parents who embrace Christian values are not always "cool" for a time, in their children's eyes. This movie takes that difficult reality and runs with it! It's insulting. It could have been a more family friendly movie had they left out the useless insulting, vulgar references.

Adult Written bynigelcunningham August 15, 2021

Would be great but for the language.

I would have loved the movie, but the language ruined it for me. It was in no way necessary and just lowered the tone. Apart from that, it was really enjoyable - especially the character development and the references to other movies.
Adult Written byhyrulianmum August 15, 2021

Cringy and boring

All the good jokes are in the trailer. I would call it a kids film but it's PG13 and some jokes aren't kid-friendly (virginity and sex jokes). I really, really wanted to like this movie. I love the cameos: Jack Septiceye, Pokimane, Taika Waititi (and Deadpool fan). I'm a casual gamer and full-on nerd, but this movie was trash. From jokes about people with intellectual disabilities to jokes about incels and guys living in their mom's basements, it was super cringe! Totally cliche and out of touch with the modern gaming community. The villain is one dimensional and super annoying (like think 1980s Saturday morning cartoon annoying). It's Taika's worst role ever. It's just your average Hollywood movie, with a cookie-cutter script, where a hot nerdy guy winds up with a hot nerdy girl. Lots of guns and pop culture references. It dragged on FOREVER and there were no laughs coming from the audience. Save this film for a matinee or $5 Tuesday showing if the kids are really dying to see it before it hits streaming.

Adult Written byBlitzGuy20 August 16, 2021

Exiting, creative film has lots of violence and some cursing

Free Guy is a 2021 action typed film based around a GTA - like video, except it doesn’t glorify violence and generally fits into a more edgy teen film.

VIOLENCE:

Multiple scenes from beginning to end depict over the top violence with little absolutely no blood with the exception of a few bloody/broken noses.

The violence depicted includes onscreen shootings with pistols, shotguns and on occasion the shootings cause gaping holes in the chests of people with no blood, beatings with gun butts and other things, stabbing a with knives, axes, tomahawk like weapons and others to the face, chest neck etc. displaying no blood but in an onscreen fashion, pedestrians and others and hit with cars, trains, thrown through windows, stepped on, shot and killed, punched and at certain points you can see background violence to pedestrians which includes shootings through windshields, crashes, rocket launcher explosions and more, once again depicting no blood. Towards the end there is an intense fight which depicts bloody facial injuries and at a certain point in the fight a mans rib cage is nearly broken, and is already hurt as the other man sticks his giant thumbs into his chest and crunches are heard. No real life violence shown and most if not all of the violence is humorous and nowhere near disturbing, bloody or graphic.

LANGUAGE:

Words such as “f*ck” and “sh*t” are heard infrequently (at least one spoken F-bomb, an incomplete use of motherf*cker, several uses of the middle finger etc.)

SEXUAL CONTENT:

No sex or nudity, however some crude sexual jokes relating to virginity, strippers, and masturbation, however all of this is very vague and will fly over the heads of children.

OVERALL: 12+

Adult Written byFilm_dad_36 September 30, 2021

Funny movie, not PG-13

I typically let my 9 and 11yo watch PG-13 movies. You will get an occasional S word or scene that will need a little explaining. We also joke how 80s pg should be PG-13, but if this is the way its going we should have something like a PG-16 rating for movies like this. Multiple F bombs, sexually suggestive etc. A little annoyed that I will have to screen movies now before I share with my kids.

Adult Written bySlyguy01 August 17, 2021

Hilarious but strong language

I was extremely surprised by the constant language and suggestive content throughout the movie. Some of it came so fast that some of the references may not be caught by all viewers but I definitely found the content stronger than other reviews on this site.

Aside from the language however the movie is quite funny and good if watching with older teens.

Adult Written byDallas L. August 13, 2021

Language: 4/5
Drugs: 2/5

Adult Written byLeemo11 October 8, 2021

Too much bad language for a 12

I don’t agree with kids hearing the f word, and this film is full of it. A shame really because my kids would’ve loved it! Just doesn’t sit well with me. I can’t see how the UK has called it a 12 with all the language.

Adult Written byRach5162 September 1, 2021

Language too much for a 12A UK

Language was not appropriate for a 12A rated film or possibly even a 12. If you compare it to other 12 rated films the language is persistently crude including a f****. I had to leave with my 3 age 7+ children as I just didn't feel comfortable.

Parent of a 13, 14, and 15-year-old Written byStephensHomeschool August 17, 2021

I’m an adult and I haven’t laughed so hard in years!

Adult Written byMamaBearReview August 15, 2021

A lot more swearing than expected

We took our 7 and 10 year olds to see Free Guy last night. It was good but like the other reviews say, there’s a good amount of swearing. In fact a lot more than I would’ve liked. Many uses of sh*t throughout (I’d say a few dozen times), a bunch of references to virgin and virginity that my 10 year old caught, and assorted other words. It’s unfortunate because it really wasn’t necessary for the plot. It could’ve easily been a younger kid friendly movie without it. The boys loved seeing their favourite youtubers! My 7 year old keeps saying he hated the bloody nose the main character got after a punch in the face at the beginning. Overall it’s good and I would gauge whether you take your kids on your comfort level with the swearing. The rest is just fine, most of the humour that was questionable went way over their heads.

Adult Written byJohnMcullum August 12, 2021

Free guy

This movie is great! The amount of humour took me back to my childhood of playing pong. My family of two 11-year-olds and my wife loved it. 10/10 great movie.

Adult Written by300Freckles September 19, 2021

Really fun family movie!

Definitely a fun family movie. I was worried going into it based on some of the reviews here, but no, it was totally fine for our 9-year-old. Very smart and fun movie and great take-away messaging. Anyone who is worried about violence, don't be. It's very cartoony violence and kids who have common sense get that.

Adult Written byHdhdhdndndnd August 21, 2021

Honest person

I think this mover is great, yes every ounce in a while there is an occasional cuss word but not that may at all, I was overall expecting a lot worse from Ryan renolds but I was pleasantly surprised.

Adult Written byPenguMovies78 August 16, 2021

Goofy, heartwarming, video game comedy surpassed me and my friends expectations

This movie was amazing. All the Easter eggs and references to gaming culture was awesome. This movie is much tamer than I thought it would be and honestly that makes it better. Basically, the story is about an NPC in a Grand Theft Auto style game who realizes that he’s in a video game. He goes on an adventure to save his game from being deleted by the company who made the game. Ryan Reynolds does his job as a wholesome, great guy. Jodie Comer is charismatic as a badass. Joe Keery is well executed with his developer character. Taika Waititi was enjoyable to hate. This movie was just super funny. I enjoyed the cameos from DanTDM, LazarBeam, Pokimane, Jacksepticeye, and Ninja. That was pretty cool.

Comedy: 8/10. The jokes worked but some were funnier than others.

Heart: 9/10. You can tell that this is just a love letter to gaming culture.

Violence and Action: 9/10. This film really delivers on stylish action scenes. This passes as an action film and a comedy.

Innuendo: 3/10. There wasn’t many innuendo jokes which was fine because I don’t want a bunch of sex jokes in a video game comedy.

Cursing: 8/10. There was a lot of cussing in this movie which was expected in a Ryan Reynolds movie. Honestly I think it makes the jokes funnier than if they were without cussing.

Drugs: 0/10. Nobody drank beer or smoked once which was surprising.

Consumerism: 5/10. There was some consumerism in this movie because it’s a movie built around gaming, duh.

All in all, this was a great movie and you should definitely go watch it in theaters.

Adult Written byWalde October 20, 2021
Adult Written byscratcher1 October 9, 2021
Adult Written byJesper38 October 6, 2021

Not cinema

This is not Cinema, it's a long, silly & boring continuation of sequences with nothing interesting to bind it together or make me care at all. I couldn't finish the viewing.

Adult Written byAdamferrier October 3, 2021

Exceptional

It is amazing here are things I NEED to say there are some sex jokes about coffee having virginity in the main characters mouth also some violence but a 9 year old would not understand the sex jokes but other than that it’s GREAT!

Adult Written byGuySmiley September 28, 2021

Best Reynolds Performance Yet

It’s a great movie, sure there is some bad language, but that’s expected for PG 13 films. This isn’t a Disney sing along. Hilarious jokes and a great performance from both Reynolds and Comer. Funny cameos, great pop culture references abound. Must watch for those with a sense of humor, sticks in the mud obsessed with “naughty language” and “unwholesome content” should pass. This is a comedy geared towards teens and adults and is rated as such. Don’t complain when a film is exactly as advertised.