All parent member reviews for Freedom Writers

Parent Written byCamisita May 29, 2014

Makes you want to work harder on your goals or create goals!

This movie has a few bad words, but not many. This movie has some issues not good for kids or tweens. It speaks of the Holocaust. gangs, murder by guns, shows a mom being beat with a belt in front of her children, kids beating other kids for a gang hazing, lying, and more. Better suited for mature older teens that already know the diff between right and wrong, etc. My daughter saw this movie at school around 15-16 yrs old w/o my knowledge or consent. The school never sent home a form, but she loved it and told me we needed to see it together and finally got to this week (May 2014), she's now 17.5. Great movie, I was crying. Very proud of the teacher in this film. Based on a true story, set in the time after the Rodney King incident and the riots. (another adult topic)
Adult Written byabbacus October 20, 2013

Really good!

Very inspirational movie! It has tons of very heartfelt eye-opening moments and never gets boring either. I think it is one of the movies that everyone should see at least once in their life.
Parent of a 1 and 9 year old Written bySteffauri516 March 12, 2012

Gripping, inspirational, phenomenal movie

~This movie is incredibly powerful, to say the least. It is a true story that touches on the struggles and hardships of a group of high school students, whose lives are plagued by gangs, drugs, abuse, family conflicts, and a system that treats them like they're worthless. The story is incredibly moving, vivid and inspiring. However, I would recommend it as both an entertaining and enlightening/educational experience for young to mid-teens. While it is rated PG13, there are still a lot of highly intense situations either portrayed or talked about by the characters in this movie, that I think kids should be a little older and more mature to understand and view. All in all, the movie sends a positive message about the power of education, believing in oneself, and perseverance. I'd recommend it for anyone 15 and older.
Adult Written bychangster.eminem December 18, 2009

A Good Movie For High School Juniors and Seniors

Violence is an issue for me. I don't like having people, particularly in my home watch very violent films. It is rather violent, but does deliver a certain message that may be very important to certain individuals.
Adult Written byRishyet October 14, 2009

...you must watch this, it is veri inspiring movie....

i lve this movie,, I hope every youth and teacher or student must watch this kind of movie, because it make us realize that we had a freedom to express or true emotion in a way of writing it. It makes me feel that I am so blessed that I don't have a love ones kill in font of me, and I live in a peaceful place and have a peaceful life. I hope everyone must appreciate this movie and gain a knowledge how life is important.
Adult Written byajfreyguy April 9, 2008

The movie of the YEAR!

I loved this movie!! It make you want to cry about 10 times!
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Great movie of change and hope

A movie of terrible realities and hope.
Adult Written byeagle_wings2000 April 9, 2008

Once again Holly Failed

If they want to make a inspiring movie do it with out the bad language, someone cursing their head off, sleeping with someone till the cows come home, and getting higher then a kite, if half of the movies HollyWood makes didn't have this stuff in it then maybe they wouldn't get blamed with half the stuff that goes on in America.
Adult Written bybaby girl 2007 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byLianny92 April 9, 2008

It was a good Movie

This movie was pretty good I really liked it... However, I don't recommend anyone under 13 to see it because there were some mild cursing using the 'F' word and also there are a lot of sceens of violence where people get beat up pretty badly and some even shot. There are some parts in the movie that I think kids under 13 shouldn't see until there older...but I didn't think it was a good movie for kids over 13. I went last night with a couple of my friends and we all really liked it.
Adult Written bytexas0789 April 9, 2008

My All-Time Favorite Movie

Just saw the movie last night. Fantastic movie, love the movie from start to finish. It had its funny parts and its sad and dramatic parts. I cant wait for the movie to come out on dvd!!! It was that good. I recommend it for anyone from the young adults to the teenagers. Good job Hillary Swank!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written bychungclan April 9, 2008

Afterschool special meets Boyz in the Hood

Superb acting by a wonderful cast make this true story believable. Very moving performances. Quite violent, but in context and necessary for the effectiveness of the film. Took my 13 y.o. daughter and her friend to see it, and I was glad I did, although it is a very intense film with a lot of sadness in it. Overall, if you want to show your kids how gang violence shapes kids' worlds and one, admittedly far-fetched but true nevertheless, way an individual can make a difference, I highly recommend this movie.