Kid reviews for Freedom Writers

True story of inspirational teacher; language, violence.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycaligirl1112 January 5, 2020

Amazing

I loved this movie.It has a great message and now I want to read the book.

Kid, 12 years old June 1, 2013

Great movie, but quite depressing

Really good movie. I watched it when I was 11, and I was ok, but some other kids could find it upsetting. I think it is for 12 year olds and up as it is a great movie, but does deal a lot with gang violence, abuse and racism and therefore should definitely not be watched by easily upset 11 year olds. Anyone 10 or under, should DEFINITELY, not watch it.

Teen, 14 years old Written byuser123321user June 25, 2020

Good movie

The movie has really good messages about racism, abuse, deaths of friends and gangs life However, there is violence in the movie and a few profanities. I also see the challenges that a teacher can face in the movie. This is a good movie and had a lot of morals that we can learn.

Kid, 10 years old June 21, 2020

Pretty Good Movie!

I totally recommend teens and up to watch this movie. It has some bloody/violent scenes for example: A kid accidentally kills himself with a gun, later you see the dead child's body and another scenes with gangs killing innocent people at a store. Some profanity, with words like the S word and more, one F word.

Teen, 13 years old Written byThat1person April 24, 2020

Great for teens and maybe tweens

Honestly all of these parents are over rating the violence. It could be a little difficult for some kids to understand but it gives you a different perspective on your way of thinking. You know your kids and you know what they can handle but if you feel your child can handle the basic realities of gang life and a little gun violence then this is a great movie for you to watch with them.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhonest and tru March 14, 2020

this will open your mind and heart Forever

at first i didn’t know what i was getting myself into but after i watched it i was in awe how much i could relate to these kids who struggle everyday. i may not be in the same scenario but that does not mean it can’t speak to me. as a kid i would like to say that after this movie your outlook on life will change for the better. because i know it did for me.

Teen, 15 years old Written byInfamousVoiceofLogic May 30, 2018

Important Movie For Kids of all Ages

I’m sorry the plot of this movie is “too predictable” for the CSM reviewer here, in light of the fact that it is based entirely on a book compiled of true accounts from high school students in the real life Erin Gruwell’s class. I’m sorry that real life (literally) is too gritty for him or her. Furthermore, the idea that positive messages are “not present” in this movie is absurd. All middle school and high school kids will benefit greatly from a watch of this movie, be it in class or at home.

Teen, 14 years old Written byLorbo May 1, 2018

Realistic and Inspiring

Common Sense Media's 3 stars and "positive messages not present" rating is completely inaccurate. It is a wonderful movie that leaves viewers, especially white viewers, just slightly uncomfortable. It has many positive messages, and they do not try to hide the racism and violence that these students endure.

Teen, 16 years old Written bywusletpierre February 9, 2016
Teen, 17 years old Written byiamHOT May 3, 2013

Freedom Writers

i think this film was a very inspirational film becuase it teaches you a lot about the world people live in and how we should all get along and not to hate anyone. I think it is a good film for young children around 12 and above to watch because it is quite sad and distubing at times, but on the otherhand it is a very good film to learn new things.
The plot of the film is that there is an idealistic young teacher, who inspires her "at-risk" urban students to respect each other and themselves. She is white, whereas they're mostly of color; she's clueless about their harsh lives, they initially resent her cluelessness but learn to appreciate her efforts to understand them.

Teen, 13 years old Written bytheultimate362 March 14, 2013

This is a very good positive message and story.

I think this movie is very inspirational, and has a good message for the youth that lives in a violent environment. The movie is about a student teacher that teaches a class that everyone thinks is going to fail, but she proved them wrong by inspiring and touching each and every one of them, and they soon became successful. My favorite story is Jason Finn's story, one day he and his best friend went to a bench to see the new pistol his friend got. While his friend was wielding the gun, he accidentally shot himself, Jason stood there with his friend and waited for the police to arrive to find himself in juvenile hall.

Teen, 16 years old Written byTotally500 September 23, 2012

Freedom Writers is well good

I liked it ive read the book liked it a lot better but this is good though

Kid, 12 years old August 8, 2012

"Freedom Writers" Review

This movie definitely has positive messages and role models such as Erin and Miep Gies, and maybe even some of the students. There is a lot of violence since the movie focuses on gangs, such as multiple shootings and physical fights. There is one scene where a shot is taken of Erin and her soon-to-be-divorced husband making out with hands circling the rear (suggestive). There is a good amount of inappropriate language used, even by Erin when she gets frustrated about a student's self-evaluation. Overall, I think a strong tween could watch it, along with teens and adults (you just have to decide).

Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow April 19, 2012

Fantastic film will move you to tears

This was a fantastic and inspiring film. I'm very surprised that it wasn't nominated for any Oscars. Maybe it might be a bit familiar to most people, but I sure didn't know about any of the stuff they were taking about. I had never heard of the Rodney King riots, and I was very surprised by how much I didn't know about the issues in this film. It moved me greatly, and some of it confused me. Nonetheless, it is a fantastic film that mature kids will greatly enjoy. Hilary Swank at her best!

Kid, 12 years old November 5, 2011

Insperational

very iffy but very inspirational heart warming young adults!

Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2010

Very good movie

I think that this movie was very inspirational and it had very positive role models. It was truely a great movie.

Teen, 14 years old Written byHoneyCruller June 29, 2010

Why, I first watched it on a youth TV station.

Everything about this movie just drags me in. It's realistic, it relates to teens, it's touching, and had great meaning. The bad stuff we can handle; It's meant for meaning, and everyone can learn from it, I don't have to say no more.

Teen, 17 years old Written bymaria597 March 16, 2010
I LOVE THE MOVIE CAUSE IT TELLS U ALOT ABOUT ALL THE VILANCE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD

Kid, 12 years old March 11, 2010

GREAT STORY

When i watched this movie i could not believe that it was a true story that only happened in 1994! I just couldent believe what these highschool kids where going through. Some of it was so horrible and cruel it kinda scared me. But i still love it and its a wonderful story!!!!!!! The iffy stuff about this movie is highschool student's disrespect there teachers. They also call the teacher swears and eachother swears. Theres a LOT of vilonce. Including one disturbing image of a dead man with blood coming out of his back. Also there are several gunshots and some talk about the horrors of the holocaust.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDeviRosy January 1, 2010
I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!! I watched it twice in a row. And cried several times! It is a heart warming movie that ALL kids would love. They write in journals about there experiences and it was just wonderful! Hilary Swank was truly amazing! Wonderful!