Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Friday the 13th (1980)

Beware of this infamous, sadistic slasher film.

Adult Written byyetijones February 20, 2009

Common Sense Media, You Make a Mockery of Professional Reviews

This is a classic film, put in theaters in the 1980's; this is what horror film was all about back in the day! And now your website makes a mockery of someone's production? I really cannot believe this domain is still active. PARENTS LISTEN! This site is biased, unruly, and unjust; I haven't found one review by its staff that I agree with, or any case study in which I see extensive research/evidentiary support. What I see is someone reading the back of a movie/game/CD cover, taking a poll on other biased personages' opinions, and writing a flagrant, outlandish article which incorrectly and distastefully outlines any form of media. Please, do the world a favor, and have an adequate review staff ACTUALLY be thorough with investigations on all your media. Get with it Common Sense, before we get out.
Adult Written byMichael Loughrie October 13, 2015

Successful Horror Film is still scary

A good movie.

Adult Written bygrande July 25, 2015

A classic

I'm a 12 year old kid who loves horror movies and it just annoys me seeing parents like, "Oh way to scary", shut up okay. This movie is a total classic with much loved gore. Remember this was made in 1980 so stop hating saying it's cheesy when this really is what started the horror genre. This movie is full of jump scares and classical settings. Just enjoy the movie and shut up parents and kids.
Adult Written byEmma M. November 21, 2017

hreat for kids

Not scary at all, my 5 year old loves it!

Adult Written bySuperGuy25 March 1, 2016

An excellent movie - although not scary

DO NOT listen to Common Sense Media.! There are only two sex scenes, both not explicit. There is nothing SO sadistic about this movie. Yes, there are a few gory deaths but that's it. Comparing to what movies are nowdays, it's no that bad after all. There is no major swearing but an occasional "s**t". There are no drugs either. What I think is that it is a great movie with a great plot and fabulous special effects. It is not scary, though but still a must see for a horror movie fan. I think this is great movie for mature kids of 11 and up.

Parent of a 11 year old Written bymikeisawesome123 January 27, 2011

So Cheesy!!!

This movie is very cheesy and un-realistic. To tell you the truth, my son watched it and got bored!! And usually, he loves horror movies!!! I say if you have a son who's like 10 years old and they want to watch it, let them. They won't be scared. Minimal blood. The only way it's scary is the fact that people kind of jump out. The drug usage is probably the worst thing about it. The sex isn't so bad. The language is nothing.

Adult Written byfonzieg April 3, 2015

Dated, but still a good horror film to watch around Halloween!

Slasher movies, oh how i enjoy and love them! Friday the 13th is my favourite slasher franchise, and here is the 1st one. All of my dad's friends say this is the best one, but is it really? No it's not! My favourite ones are 4 and 6! There is plenty of graphic kills to satisfy horror fans, and i'm a horror fan! But, the slow pacing in the movie may bore some people, but i was never bored, the reason this isn't the best one is because it does not hold up to today's standards like most of the sequels do! A lot of the stuff looks dated and cheesy! Other wise, it's a fun horror film to watch around as a Halloween tradition, but i recommend the sequels more!
Adult Written bylolboy55 December 9, 2012

not for kids

so scary not for kids 18+ do not let kids watch!

Adult Written byalexh1 March 19, 2017

Don't listen to the Site's Review.

This Site's Review is ridiculous. This movies is nowhere near as bad as it says. I watched this at 8 and was fine; the 12 year old rating is because most people were not introduced to Horror at the age of 4. Friday The 13th is a must see for horror fans, particularly if you like Slashers.
Adult Written bycallofduty5 September 25, 2010

Jason's revenge

If you liked nightmare on elm street you will like this too a little bit violent nothing ott which makes film watchable and good.

Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written bygregheffley April 27, 2010

for young teens

okay so really interviewing this play i am doing i just had to do it on some thing. the play is called 12 seconds.okay so me and my friend replaced the bad words at age 11 and 13. the worst word we really used was heck at that time and in that one guy killed himself.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byGeorge g. January 3, 2018

csm is wrong

well to be honest there is only 1 real sex scene and you see nothing really. they play strip monopoly that dosnt really show anything accept undies and bras. there are jump scare but when people get killed its not that scary lot of blood tho.

Parent Written byBraedon P. August 10, 2017

Friday The 13th

Just let you know this movie has tones of strong violence and gore and a dash of sex and nudity including bare breast and a strong sex sene!So only for mature teens!

Written byAnonymous March 8, 2016

Not as good as HALLOWEEN or A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, but still a classic

FRIDAY THE 13th is a pretty well made slasher film. When it was released, critics were revolted by the violence only because they haven't been introduced to this much before. Now it is considered a modern classic for good reasons. The film isn't that violent like CMS says it is. I'm just here to tell you the truth about this movie. During a pretty-lengthy, but not gratuitous sex scene, there are close-ups of a young man's buttocks. The girl squeezes it a couple times. The girl's bare breast is revealed in post sex for nearly 2 seconds. Earlier in the movie a girl and a boy are making out until, they are interrupted. The violence is not over-excessive. Examples are an axe in the head and an arrow through the throat (blood squirts from the wound). The worst language gets is a character saying sh*t a couple times. Characters occasionally do drugs and smoke a couple time. The movie is filmed in a very creepy and suspenseful way instead of kill after kill. This movie is a definite classic from the 80s when horror was basically dead.

Adult Written byPlatypus123 June 16, 2015
It is super violent and scary not for young viewers

Parent Written byPlague March 5, 2010

Friday the 13th (1980)

Fabulous horror classic that gave birth the legend of Jason. He goes as #2 in my top 5 favorite slashers.
Adult Written byShadowFan567 May 6, 2009

Good Movie but why is this rated No Kids?

Good Movie! I loved the story,the suspense,and the terror. I have one question though,why did this get rated No Kids?This film is less violet and sexual than the Halloween 1978 film and that was rated 16 and up.I think this should be rated sixteen and up. There is violence,but it looks more fake than scary.A teenage boy is stabbed in the stomache and falls to the ground. A girls throat is slit and you see a little blood.Another boys throat is slit offscreen but you see it later on. A girl is killed offscreen at an archery range,but you see her dead when hurled through the widow by the killer. A girl is stabbed in the head with an axe.We see the axe in her head with blood. We later see a boys bloody corpse hung on a door by arrows.SPOILERS:A woman,who revaels herself to be the killer,attacks the last teenage girl in a number of ways.She slaps her and almost stabs her.The ending includes a fight of the 2 girls which includes them wrestling and biting each other. The teenager almost gets slashed with a machete but moves,kicks it oit of the way, and gets the machete and decapitates the woman.There is a jump scene at the end. There are language and drug content,but not horrible in both areas.The is breif nudity and sexual content. Two teenaers have sex but it is not graphic besides her grabbing the boys butt.There is a brief view of a teenagers breast for 2 seconds.There are alot of girls in bras and panties in other scenes.Overall great movie but should be rated 16 and older.

Adult Written by1980 boii February 23, 2019

I’m an adult

Best movie ever. You should always watch it

Adult Written byHenro200 November 3, 2018
I thought that the movie was phenomenal. A true classic. It is not for younger kids but this 80's classic is great for tweens and up. This site has totally blown this movie out of proportion. It was frightening but I for one will not be loosing any sleep over it.
Adult Written byRarityfan October 1, 2018

It's friday!

Classic slasher movie thta had been used in countless of shows and movies. Lots of scares, and some silly fun too. Of consumerism there are countless of Friday the 13th VHS, DVD's and on.