Parent reviews for Friday the 13th (1980)

Beware of this infamous, sadistic slasher film.

Adult Written byyetijones February 20, 2009

Common Sense Media, You Make a Mockery of Professional Reviews

This is a classic film, put in theaters in the 1980's; this is what horror film was all about back in the day! And now your website makes a mockery of someone's production? I really cannot believe this domain is still active. PARENTS LISTEN! This site is biased, unruly, and unjust; I haven't found one review by its staff that I agree with, or any case study in which I see extensive research/evidentiary support. What I see is someone reading the back of a movie/game/CD cover, taking a poll on other biased personages' opinions, and writing a flagrant, outlandish article which incorrectly and distastefully outlines any form of media. Please, do the world a favor, and have an adequate review staff ACTUALLY be thorough with investigations on all your media. Get with it Common Sense, before we get out.
Adult Written bygrande July 25, 2015

A classic

I'm a 12 year old kid who loves horror movies and it just annoys me seeing parents like, "Oh way to scary", shut up okay. This movie is a total classic with much loved gore. Remember this was made in 1980 so stop hating saying it's cheesy when this really is what started the horror genre. This movie is full of jump scares and classical settings. Just enjoy the movie and shut up parents and kids.
Adult Written bymasonsteele May 13, 2020

Ridiculous review by Common Sense Media for an AMAZING film

Common Sense Media, what is wrong with you? How can you give a LEGENDARY movie 1 star and rate it 18+??? This movie has MILD violence at best. Whoever makes these reviews is one of the most biased people I have ever heard in my life. This movie is absolutely amazing and I could watch it on repeat. This was one of my first ever horror movies. I watched when I was either 12 or 13. Friday the 13th and Halloween are the movies that made me love horror films. Common Sense Media is basically giving middle-schoolers the middle finger by giving this an 18+ rating. Parents, PLEASE let your kid watch this movie if they're 13, and if your kid is responsible they could even watch this at 12 or 11. Common Sense Media gives absolutely terrible reviews on horror movies.
Adult Written byalexh1 March 19, 2017

Don't listen to the Site's Review.

This Site's Review is ridiculous. This movies is nowhere near as bad as it says. I watched this at 8 and was fine; the 12 year old rating is because most people were not introduced to Horror at the age of 4. Friday The 13th is a must see for horror fans, particularly if you like Slashers.
Adult Written bySBC2000 February 26, 2020

Only watch if you're a horror fan.

A must-see if you like horror films. Otherwise, don't bother.
Adult Written byBenjamino2000 June 10, 2020

Not as violent as some of its sequels

Adult Written byHorrorMovieFan2947 April 18, 2020

Friday the 13th

This is a classic to the horror genre and has made a huge influence to how horror movies are made today. Here is what parents need to know about Friday the 13th:
Violence (5/10)- People get stabbed in the gut, throat slit, get killed off screen and many kills happen. A man gets his throat slit with an arrow, a woman gets an axe lodged deep into her head, a man gets pinned to the door with arrows, and a woman gets her head decapitated.
Sexual content (5/10)- during a sex scene that lasts a minute, a breast is while for 12 seconds and that is all the nudity. There are girls walking around in tight underwear, and some teenagers play strip monopoly, but they get as far as the underwear. Most of the talk in this movie sexual talk.
Language (3/10) Usages of Damn, hell, pussy ( in the sexual way)and one use of sh*t
Horror (2/10)- the violence can scare some people, but for most people the movie has some jump scares that will make you jump, and has lots of killing in it.

Overall, the movie is decent and has some jump scares that will make you jump. This movie is recommended for kids 12+ or over. A decent horror movie that is a just watch for any horror fans.
Adult Written bytheshapetalks April 14, 2020

DID COMMON SENSE JUST GIVE IT 1 STAR!!!!????

This movie is amazing. common sense is very wrong about how bad it is. But the sex in it, is like PG-13 mixed with some iffy R related sex? so yah. But this movie was rated R for a reason, it has drugs, violence and neck stabbings. there is no positive messages, except if you think being a virgin will help you survive...

Master slasher classic

This movie, though throat slits and axes into heads, there is a great story behind Friday the 13th (1980) is pretty good and interesting. This isn’t just mindless violence, it’s got a plot. One thing parents should know is children under age ten can get extremely scared with the violence. I don’t think this has too much of a sex issue, but it makes for a Good Friday night film! And, of course it’s better if that friday is a specific date.

Adult Written byBlackchristmas November 22, 2019

Oh come on

there's lots of morbid, graphic bloodshed in this film; usually slashed throats and impalings, with the victims hung on hooks. When young camp counselors aren't busy being killed, they're either trying to get stoned or having sex but I don’t think it is scary. I first saw it when I was 4

Adult Written byFilmreviews.org November 11, 2019
Adult Written byB33_EE August 4, 2019

Good but not for young kids.

I loved this movie but if you are under 9 Don’t watch it! It’s got some blood but not to graphic. There is one sex scene which lasts for a minute or two. During that scene you see a boob for about 12 seconds. There is some drinking and smoking but that amount would be in a 12. This should not be rated 18 I think it should be a 15, and don’t listen to common sense media because they say it’s a lot worse then it is. I give this movie 4/5 stars. The sex/nudity wound be 2/10 the violence/gore would be 4/10 and drinking/smoking 3/10. A good movie I highly recommend

Adult Written byAnonymos June 26, 2019
Parent of a 9, 12, and 15-year-old Written byBOBRANCHERED June 25, 2019

HMMM... NEED TO THINK FIRST

Honestly when I watched it with my kids I thought the marijuana did not need to be included. It was a little extra but that was not a total focus thankfully. It is a pretty good movie though, besides all the violence of course.

Parent of a 2-year-old Written byAnounymous June 22, 2019
Adult Written by1980 boii February 23, 2019

I’m an adult

Best movie ever. You should always watch it

Adult Written byHenro200 November 3, 2018
I thought that the movie was phenomenal. A true classic. It is not for younger kids but this 80's classic is great for tweens and up. This site has totally blown this movie out of proportion. It was frightening but I for one will not be loosing any sleep over it.
Adult Written byRarityfan October 1, 2018

It's friday!

Classic slasher movie thta had been used in countless of shows and movies. Lots of scares, and some silly fun too. Of consumerism there are countless of Friday the 13th VHS, DVD's and on.