Kid reviews for From up on Poppy Hill

Inspiring, romantic coming-of-age tale about '60s teens.

Teen, 14 years old Written bylilshwaiby April 29, 2021

One of Ghibli's most underrated classics!

I cannot express how much I love this film. It's so charming and nostalgic that I can't help but just adore it. The character of Umi is a great role model for kids as she is a great big sister to Sora and never stops trying to achieve her dreams. The romance is very realistic and sweet and I love it. It's very different to other Ghibli films as instead of being fantasy driven it is more grounded and relatable. An absolute must-see film for Kids 8+!

Teen, 17 years old Written byShoelaces May 13, 2021
Appropriate for all ages, just may be a bit boring for kids under the age of 8. Overall, would highly recommend this movie!

Teen, 17 years old Written bySophie Hatter October 27, 2020

This Movie Really Deserves a Three and a Half Star Rating From Me

This movie is definitely one that has been crafted very carefully. It is thoughtful and well-put together. The characters are ones that you can root for and empathise with and are good, kind people. I’ve read lots of good reviews for this movie, and overall I would recommend this, however for me I just wasn’t engaged with it... I can’t quite put my finger on what it was, maybe it was the pace as it can be quite slow, also it is a bit predictable, but I don’t always think that that’s a bad thing. Yeah, so I wouldn’t rave about this movie, it was fine, but if you’re looking for an exciting, fast-paced adventure or something that can transport you away to a different world, this isn’t it. I would say this movie is appropriate for everyone, it does deal a bit with grief and loss, but not all that heavily so I wouldn’t worry too much about children being affected by this.
Give this movie a watch and see what you think, I am positive about this movie, but at the same time it wasn’t my cup of tea, but it could be yours!

Kid, 12 years old June 26, 2019

From Up On Poppy Hill (review)

A feel-good, coming-of-age film about life and romance.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRaelin33 May 24, 2019

My absolute favourite Studio Ghibli movie!

I LOVE this movie. I find it a beautiful film, and love its slow moving drama and watching the plot unfold. A brilliant movie!
Teen, 15 years old Written byElla S December 22, 2018

Great!

Nothing inappropriate or bad in the movie! Really enjoyable for teens and probably kids and adults too.
Teen, 15 years old Written byeridescentlin April 21, 2018

Subtle and beautiful - as good as any other Ghibli film!

"From up on Poppy Hill" appeals to very human emotions that every individual has experienced in their lives, especially those within an adolescent. Growing up, holding onto the past, falling in love - all of this is explored within this film. The strength and courage of the characters present is encouraging to witness. Not to mention, this film is gorgeous! This film is an absolute must-watch!

Teen, 14 years old Written byHihodough April 12, 2018

Watch on both English and foreign!

Probably the best anime I have seen, the only animes I have seen are my neighbor Totoro, and this!
There are some scenes that might be a little too deep for young kids, there is a mild breast feeding scene, and some smoking too. But over all, should be watched by all!

Teen, 13 years old Written byItalyJapan9 January 7, 2018

Studio Ghibli Never Fails

This movies was very endearing. The whole story makes you feel like you know the characters. It is a heartfelt story. There is nothing inappropriate. Hope you enjoy!

Teen, 13 years old Written bylerivaille June 16, 2017
"From Up On Poppy Hill" is a very sweet, heartwarming movie that I believe is most suitable for older kids and up, for the story may not appeal to children any younger. I like this movie because it's different from most Ghibli movies, taking a more realistic approach rather than using fantasy elements. There are some scenes depicting the Korean War that might scare more sensitive children, and teenagers are at an age where they are more interested in the opposite sex. If you're a fan of dramas and coming-of-age, this may be the movie for you!

Kid, 11 years old October 17, 2015

Beautiful

Yet another fantastic movie from the animation kings Studio Ghibli. The story is interesting and inspiring. You'll love it, though they do hint at some mature themes that might be confusing to some children.

Teen, 17 years old Written by_____________ August 29, 2015

Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 July 18, 2015

Very romantic and heartfelt film.

From up on Poppy Hill was another great anime flick.

Kid, 12 years old January 19, 2014

A turn for Studio Ghibli... for better or worse?

Most kids like Ghibli. Most adults like Ghibli. So what if your first Ghibli was in your preteens? You wont like Ghibli. I don't like Ghibli, because I started too late/too early. But this movie is NOTHING LIKE other Ghibli. So I like it. It goes away from the Imagination and goes to historical fiction. And it's a good historical fiction at that. Ok for 9 year olds, maybe 8 year olds.

Kid, 9 years old December 22, 2013

I really liked this movie, even though it's mostly romance like that guy said "their so hot".

Teen, 14 years old Written bylaurensb September 2, 2013

A Hidden Gem

I loved this movie because it is different from most other Studio Ghibli movies. It has an interesting twist, and the two main characters actually confess their love for each other, unlike most others where it is implied. It is a little sad but also has a nice feel to it. The message is nice. It's short and sweet and you should definitely give it a try if you liked his other movies.