Parent reviews for Funny People

Stand-up saga has a foul mouth but brains and heart, too.

Parent of a 3 and 13 year old Written byManda_Lea November 14, 2014

Wow! Very Real and Emotional Movie

I've never been an Adam Sandler fan, but my late husband wanted to see this movie. I agreed because the plot hit home; my late hubby was in limbo w/a very rare and lethal cancer. Adam Sandler's performance blew me away! This movie gives you a glimpse of Sandler's genius like no other. Seth Rogen embodies all of the insecurities and fears of a struggling stand-up guy and as the film progresses, he gives such humanity to both characters. No, this movie isn't Knocked Up or Superbad. It's not tons of laughter about ridiculous nothingness. Funny People perfectly captures what happens when a man at the top of his game is suddenly faced with an ugly and imminent death. Most movies wrap up with either a miracle cure or the cancer stricken character gaining redemption and dying in an idyllic manner. Life rarely works like that and Funny People remembers and respects what real life tends to do with people. We laughed and cried during this film and my husband said Sandler and the writers hit the nail on the head, perfectly exploring the emotions of being given months to live then learning no one really knows how much time they have in this world. This isn't a funny movie about people; it's a movie about people who are supposed to be funny and lighthearted at all times in the eyes of adoring fans. Regardless, it's a great film with amazing performances by all of the actors involved. Just don't go into this thinking you're watching Knocked Up or Happy Gilmore.

Adult Written bydudeman123 July 19, 2010

Adam Sandlers best film

Funny People is a great movie experience. It's somewhat depressing and extremely vivid. This movie is not about the comedy or how funny it is, it's a rare comedy that is more about the characters and their struggles.There is however an actually strange sex scene that the movie deff. could have done without, that would be my only complaint. Overall, Funny People has a great storyline and likeable characters and is an excellent film.

Adult Written byMovie Man November 26, 2009

Funny People is Funny, but it Still has that "No One Wins in the End" Feel to it.

Although very funny, this is a highly innappropriate film. There is almost nonstop foul language and crude sexual humor. There are also three sex scenes with brief nudity. This is a warning to parents. Now, yes, at times this movie is heartwarming, but in the end it feels that it was all for nothing, which is very disappointing. Oh well, thanks for reading - Movie Man

Adult Written byTired_of_critics August 10, 2009

Not worth the time or money

I am amazed that on a site dedicated to common sense, this movie has any support. The critics and Hollywood elites might like a film like this, but I would hope the general public (common) finds it offensive with very little redeeming value. Crudeness in a movie can often make a scene very funny, unexpected and memorable (The Ugly Truth uses crude humor in this way). This movie over uses it and it eclipses the characters and storyline all together. I am an not easily offended, in fact I am an Adam Sandler fan, and like Seth Rogen too, but this film was beyond horrible. Save your money.

Adult Written by4Spice December 12, 2009

good adult humor lots of sex talk 16 and over

very good movie but no kids too dirty adult humor lots of sex dirty jokes and cussing 16 and over

Adult Written byEyes Care September 8, 2009

Save your time and money

endless crude language and unfunny jokes. Tkhe base of the story cannot redeem this mess!

Adult Written bymoviecritic May 27, 2011

Enjoyable

First of all, a lot of young teens probably want to see this movie because it has Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, along with endless celebrity cameos, that's initially what drew me to this movie in the first place. Plus I love Judd Apaow movies, of course I was 16 when this movie came out, and looking back I'm really glad I didn't see this with my parents! Funny People is full of language, including over 150 f-words. The sexual content is pretty extreme, including a quick but kind of graphic sex scene (there is female nudity). But the actual movie itself is great, with a great message in the end. If you like stand-up comedy you'll probably really enjoy this movie, just be prepared for lots of adult humor and situations. Kids 16 and up!

Adult Written byYung Doe August 17, 2010
I think funny people is a very intelligent and great movie.Its a good way to get across the point that death is guareented so why not have a sense of humor while here.The movie address many of lifes obsticles but in a funny way for the audience.Funny people is a great movie that alot of people wont fully grasp the concept,its very underrated and overlooked.It actually was one of the best movies that year.Great cast and Directing,keep up the good work.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byxnirvana21x August 21, 2009

Good movie for 14+ but not under

It was pretty good movie but not appropriate for kids that arent ready for dirty language and sex.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byoneshotkill27 August 13, 2009

good for older teens but too much for younger

ehh not the best movie but its worth watching kids may enjoy it

Adult Written bydaniel.nicholas... August 5, 2009

Funny, but long and disjointed movie.

I laughed at this movie quite a bit, but there were definitely parts where it dragged -- for a comedy. The movie gets caught up in a subplot (for an hour or so) that never really seems to get resolved. It felt like you were left with something incomplete. This subplot makes it a very long movie (especially for a comedy) at around 2 hours and 20 minutes. It really starts to drag at the end. Beware of lots and lots of penis jokes. No kids...there are two sex scenes, one mildly graphic (breasts shown), language is all across the board (like all Apatow films) and lots of brands: Apple (quite heavily), Nike, MySpace, Facebook, PayPal, Target, Craigslist, Wii Fit. By the time the movie was over, I felt at a loss for what I just saw and what the whole point really was: a story about George's love life or about him coming to reality with life and death?

Adult Written byssteyer August 4, 2009
Although the humor was crude and at times disturbing, I found it to be very funny. The movie had a nice sense of seriousness to it which provided a nice balance. There is a lot of inappropriate language but I still got a good laugh out of it. Beware: the movie is VERY long (a little under 2 and a half hours)

Adult Written bykaratemama August 3, 2009

Gross, not that good or funny

Movie had some cute and sweet moments and a few laughs but was so consistently gross that almost regretted seeing it. But I'm an adult. I wouldn't want any tween or teen of mine to see it. It just isn't a good representation of real humanity.

Adult Written byJinny Gudmundsen August 3, 2009

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byheavensent143617 August 1, 2009

Parent of a 3 year old Written byPete the doughn... August 1, 2009

Perfect movie to talk about, don't let your grtade schoolers watch it.

Great movie. But please, don't go to an "R" rated movie and expect smiley unicorns and good old fashioned slapstick. If you think our society has hit rock bottom because of a Judd Apatow movie then I think you should take a serious look around you. If you are THAT easily offended, maybe you should let go and stop letting things get to you, and just laugh at them because they are funny. Some movies overdo the crudity and it takes away from the movie (Bruno) but still have their moments you can sit back and laugh at. Overall I thought this movie was very well written, had a good easy to follow storyline, and was just crude enough to keep it interesting. The characters showed good development and if I have a kid half as thoughtful as the main character (Rogen's character) then would be perfectly happy.

Parent of a 15 and 17 year old Written byjennifer aniston August 1, 2009

Not good for any age!

Hate it. This movie hits rock bottom and is completely inappropriate. The content is unacceptable, showing a great lack of morals, actions and language for today's society. We are in a sad state if this is thought to be socially acceptable. I can only think things will have to get better sometime soon after experiencing something this offensive.
Parent Written byJill Murphy July 29, 2009

Heartwarming and funny -- for older teens and adults.

Loved it. The film is a great blend of humor and drama, but is for a more mature audience. This is not the typical Appatow movie.

Adult Written byhelpme July 29, 2009