Parent and Kid Reviews on

Ghost in the Shell (1996)

Ghost in the Shell (1996) Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 20 parent reviews

Sort by:

My favorite anime & one of my favorite movies of all time!

Everyone should see this movie, it’s smart, interesting, symbolic, and great characters like the main lead and leader Motoko, Batou, the puppet master, and my favorite Togusa. I love the story it’s one of the best stories I’ve ever seen, the music is great, and same goes for the visuals and action scenes. (Though I think one anime that has better action and visuals is the movie AKIRA) For a 1 Hour & 25 Minute movie, it sure has allot happening while at the same time the whole movie being at a consistent slow pace from beginning to end, this is the best paced anime I’ve ever seen from the opening assassination building up with more intensity, to Motoko’s creation, to the action scene in the city, to Motoko discovering herself when she’s swimming and going out into the city, and etc... The movie is rated PG-13 which might seem a bit much, the action isn’t too violent except for a head explosion which is a bit much, they don’t curse that much though the say the F word twice, which can be quite common in PG-13 movies like Gravity, Dunkirk, & Knives Out, etc... though the one thing that you can argue that pushes the boundaries for more than a PG-13 is the nudity, though there’s allot in the movie which adds up to around 5 minutes in total in the movie, it ain’t sexualized at all, nor Motoko’s body ain’t sexually exaggerated nor some other people who are naked. (And hey it’s animated so it ain’t as bad) The alcohol isn’t bad at all when Motoko & Batau are talking on the boat. I watched this movie for the first time before the Ghost in the Shell Live Action movie in 2017 came out, when I was a freshmen in High School when everyone was talking about it. This is in my opinion better than Akira and Spirited Away, which I love with a passion.

1 person found this helpful.

NOT for children or teens. Period.

I have been an anime/manga junky most of my life. I have been to a number of Comic-Cons, and conventions that have been centered around this genre. I am 43 now, and I have been liberal with my own children as far as what they are allowed to play and watch (as long as it is absolutely age appropriate). That being said, since I know what can be contained within anime, I am very wary of what kind they are allowed to watch. This movie, without a doubt is OFF LIMITS. Maybe some parents would allow their children to watch it (be warned, there is A LOT of T&A, cursing, and graphic violence), but this isn't their review, now is it? There are some parents reviews that say this movie is rated as a "13 year-old/green" category, but I suspect that that "parent" is actually the "child" registering their review account AS and adult. IMDb's rating is rated "R". This is movie is not made for anyone under the age of 18 years-old. Period.

1 person found this helpful.

Great anime movie that inspired the matrix. Not for Kids

Deep thought-provoking cyberpunk movie. This movie is quite violent. A scene where man head is completely blown open, few intense bloody gun fights throughout the film. But not all parts of the movie is action packed. While there is no sex scenes, there are a lot of full on female nudity throughout the film from the main character motoko. Breast, buttocks are scene in multiple scenes. Strong language such as the F bomb are used. There's a little bit less cussing in the Japanese sub compared to the dub version. Definitely not suitable for kids.

Look at the REAL RATING

Just look at the rating people it is PG-13 on the VHS, DVD and, BLU-RAY releases. It is rated TV 14 on all cable television airings and TV 14 on all streaming versions most, of which are free. The MPAA and the television ratings board might not always be right and vary over sensitive at times but they got this rating right. There is a vary small amount of animated nudity, brief intense violence and a whole two F words, but it's nothing a 13 year old can't handle. But it isn't all about the violence and swarming. It is a philosophical master piece that discuses what it means to have a conciseness and how much of your self can be replaced before you are not your self any more, and if a machine can generate a conciseness. It is in compliance with MPAA guide lines for a PG-13 rating the nudity is non sexual and the violence is brief, there is little smoking, and it is within the one to two F word rule. It might go over the heads of any younger children and they probole don't have the attention span to sit through it, but mature 12 year old's or younger, and pretty much any 13 year old is capable of under standing most of it. P.S the Ultra HD release is not rated and it contains a couple more of those evil F-words.

Genuinely adult animated film is violent and introspective.

While far from the most graphic film ever made: Ghost in the Shell is too violent, vulgar, and sexually explicit for children. That being said, given how complicated and introspective the film is, I doubt it would hold any actual children's attention anyway. Violence is actually sparse; but gory when present. A man's arm is violently twisted and broken; there are several gunfights, and in a couple of scenes Cyborgs are shown losing limbs. Furthermore, there are a few exceptionally gruesome deaths where people are shot with high caliber bullets, causing heads to explode, bodies to be liquefied, and blood to spray everywhere. In one shot we even see a dead man's broken ribs sticking out of his chest. There is no actual sex or romantic activity in the film, but there is a fair amount of female nudity; no genitals are drawn but nipples are shown frequently. That being said nudity is usually tasteful. As for the plot there are some very interesting themes and messages about technology, and how it effects our identities. The film wants you to care about it's protagonist and think about how the integration of advanced technology into society has damaged her status as an actual human being; but Major is not very much of a Role model. While not necessarily a bad person, Major never really shows any admirable or heroic traits beyond the general concept of working as a police officer. She can identify right from wrong and does try to bring evil to justice, but never really displays any exceptional morals or values. Additionally, she seems to enjoy hurting and killing criminals. Her Partner, Batou, is more of a likeable, morally driven person; genuinely coming across as a loyal and caring friend, but he's not the focus of the movie. There is infrequent use of strong profanities, such as "F---", and "S---". One scene also depicts the main characters drinking beer. All in all I think the film is appropriate for teens fifteen and up; but given how the film is driven mostly by dialogue and artistic symbolism, bordering on art-house at times, only teenagers with a longer attention span, or at least a genuine interest in the film's message will likely find it entertaining.

A Animation Masterpiece

I didn't get to watch this film until 2016 when I was able to find a Blu-ray copy. At the time I was 16, and want phased by the violence, or nudity. Many people have issues with the nudity and violence, because there is a lot of breasts for a film. The opening sequence has Motoko being born (fully nude) and as a result the are breasts. But it's more about the philosophical meaning behind it. An example would be her reciting Corinthian 13:12, about seeing what you are now, to what you are too become. She is nude because she doesn't think of her body in a sexual manner, but Bato does. Essential if your kid has seen any 80's movie, or movie with breasts they'll be fine.

@aslaug13 Stop being oversensitive!

Yes I know there is mature content but its not as graphic as other anime such as Berserk,Elfen Lied,Angel Cop and other 80's and 90's OVAs (OVA is a term which means the anime was only released on home video),Violence Jack,and other mature anime. Sure there is gore but its only shown a few times and mostly its just losing blood. Nudity is shown but not as much as other mature anime. Swearing is a bit strong in the dub but at least its way more tamer than Manga Entertainment's other dubs (Manga Entertainment dubbed this). I would say 16+ can handle this.

A more focused, minimalistic film than the recent live action remake. There is no reliance on hackneyed action scenes and no generic nonsensical stolen past conspiracy plot. The plot while complex plays as a stage for themes about humanity and technology that come up in a surprisingly not heavy handed way as the mystery unfolds. In the shorter run time (less than 1hr 20min) it says alot more than the more sensory remake and we get to know our characters and the story is set up and develops in an understandable way that doesnt convolute itself with frivolous subplots. On the non Blu Ray The animation shows its age bit detail is still impressive. Two scenes of brief graphic violence. One where a mans head explodes and another where a high calibur rifle causes a man in a car to burst open (we see alot of blood burst briefly and then the side of bloody ribs. Numerous scenes of nude breasts, never in a sexual context. Skin suit makes the lead look nude. A few F words (5 max).

A respected classic, though not for kids

When this was released, it was considered by many to be amongst the pinnacle of Anime. Its cyberpunk future world is well thought out, thoroughly realized and expertly portrayed. Even the english dubbed version has excellent dialogue, though its story is decidedly not motivated by western morals. Parents should know however that this film contains a large amount of non-sexualized nudity - in fact it is extremely logical and even clinical in its portrayal as the cyborg body is a large part of the philosophical discussion in the film. It asks questions like "what does it mean to be human?" Parents should also know that there is graphic and unapologetic violence that includes dismemberment and breaking of limbs, both of human appearing robots and people. Much of it is done with stylized effect, but none of it is pointless. For this reason the technical merits of the film for the mature viewer make this an excellent film, but not for everyone.