Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byLuaith September 11, 2009
The implied oral sex from a spirit was way too graphic for my kids. This is the first time I have found a common sense rating to be off the mark.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byjesscat October 27, 2010

I'd say 12 and up.

Love this movie but I don't think the implied oral sex scene is for kids of this age.
Educator and Parent Written byCCguardian June 11, 2013

Not family appropriate!

A demon possessed woman is begging to have one of the ghost busters inside her, and you think this is a good family movie. What is wrong with you guys, for this alone, I would never let my kids watch it. Would Sigourney Weaver let her kids watch the movie, I doubt it, unless she is completely depraved, she would be totally embarrassed. The reason Jody Foster made the movie Nim's Island, is so that her kids could watch a movie that she was in, she wouldn't let them watch her other movies. Even she has better standards for her kids, and she grew up in Hollywood, where anything goes.
Adult Written bylsdgls April 9, 2008

Ouch! Way too iffy on the sexual content!

My major issue is the sex scenes in this movie! One ghost is portrayed as having oral sex and there is another sex scene that is really way over the top! Not for kids with any awareness!
Parent Written bySinfoniarc February 17, 2012

Not As Bad Is Some Make It Out To Be

I think that the alleged oral sex scene is a little over-exaggerated. You see an apparition over Dan Akyroyd's bed and then the next thing you see is his fly unzip and his eyes cross. It's implied, not seen. Having said that, my kids love this movie (ages 8 and almost 11). As a kid, myself, my little sister wouldn't watch the opening five minutes of it as it does have some startling scenes to it. The language is typical 1980s language for PG movies. If your children are like sponges and tend to repeat everything that they hear, this movie is not for them.
Parent of a 5, 10, and 11 year old Written bycorrie5 September 20, 2009

Only over age 14

I don't think this is 'tame' when it comes to the sexual content. Alot of innuendo and obvious 'come - on' scenes.
Adult Written bylaurahutch April 9, 2008

Blast from the past

I'd have to disagree slightly with the "not an issue" rating of the CSM reviewers on the topics of "sex" and "drugs/alcohol" (which actually includes tobacco on the main review page but for some reason isn't included on the adult ratings page). I think "receiving oral pleasure" from a ghost not to mention Sigourney Weaver writhing around on the bed should rate an "iffy" in the sec category. But my biggest gripe about the movie, and the rating, is all the gratuitous smoking. I'm fine with smoking on screen because it does on occasion give an indication as to character. However, there is no earthly (no pun intended!) reason for the guys in Ghostbusters to be lighting up. And they do. Constantly. And they're the heroes, the guys we're rooting for, who have a lot of otherwise admirable qualities.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byfunmommyk October 10, 2009

Parents might be a little uncomfortable - but the kids loved it!

I definitely noticed the sexually suggestive scenes when watching with my 7 and 10 year-olds - but it went right over their heads. There were a few bad words (sh*t, b*tch) but again, I don't think it was a big deal. Too much smoking...but I don't think seeing these guys smoke is going to make my kids want to. They LOVED it and thought it was super funny - they keep talking about the slime and the marshmallow man!
Parent Written byathlon32 March 28, 2013

HORRIBLE MOVIE

HORRIBLE MOVIE. NOT FOR KIDS. PERIOD.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byKLRH October 23, 2009

should be PG 13

This movie is filled with sh*t, B*tch, *ss, *sshole, p*ss, d*ck, d*ckless p*cker and I quote during a sexual come on, "I want you inside of me." This did not seem like a movie for children. I did not remember it having such horrible language and a high level of sexual content. This movie would have been just as good or better if they chose to use different language. This movie came out before PG-13 ratings which it should definitely have.
Parent of a 4, 9, 12, and 14 year old Written bydeann22666 June 30, 2009

fun, but too much sexual content

I was not comfortable with the level of sexual content. Without those few scenes the movie is fine.
Adult Written byjacob a February 25, 2015

A fun kids thriller!

Awesome, nothing bad in it at all.
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written byginnytho March 8, 2013

not recommended

This review is misleading that Ghost Busters is a good family film. We were disappointed by the sexual innuendo and it wasn't really all that funny.
Adult Written byAndy RC April 7, 2012

The kids love us

First saw this when I was 5. loved it then, love it now. the scariest part then was the library ghost when it screams at the Ghostbusters. nothing else I found scary, only mildly when Dana talks in a demonic voice. That whole scene where Dana is possessed the dialog that sounds a bit sexual goes completely over a child.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bymarierm August 29, 2014

Surprised CSM rated this OK for 10 and up

Too much sexual innuendo for kids. High school and up, 8th grade at the minimum.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 11 year old Written byhyjean September 30, 2009
I don't think my 11 year old needs to see a ghost giving "oral pleasure" to anyone! No thanks!
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written bymomrocks2 August 24, 2009

not for kids under 10

This movie has way too many scary scenes, smoking, sexual references and violence...the language is awful. I would NOT want my kids using any of the language in this film.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bychurpy78 August 6, 2009

perfect for tweens teens and adults

well i like the movie but to much violence sex related topics and the language is kind of mild
Adult Written byakth April 9, 2008
I just watched this with my boys (ages 7.5 and 9) and they had no issues with it. There are a couple of scenes that a grownup would immedately associate with sex, but by and large the images are subtle and went over my kids' heads. My younger son was disturbed a bit by the electric shock scene at the beginning. "He's not a nice man, Mommy." The language is very mild (but not perfectly pure) and the only drugs are tobacco.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byhike4diamonds October 31, 2015

Not PG in today's rating system!

I am mortified that I let my kids watch this. I am usually very conservative compared to my kid's friends' parents but my friend, who is also typically conservative, had let her kids watch it and I didn't do my homework. In fairness, Common Sense Media did address the sexual scenes (which are completely unacceptable) but somehow I missed that. The language is horrible -- everything but the f-word-- and the excessive smoking. Bill Murray is a complete womanizer. Ugghh! This would definitely be rated at least PG13 today. For older teens only!