Kid reviews for Girl, Interrupted

Girl, Interrupted Poster Image

I really liked this movie and I think a 10-year-old will handle it :).

2 people found this helpful.

AMAZING!!

I’m 13, and i watched this movie after reading the book. Let me tell you, it was absolutely beautiful. Angelina Jolie, Winona Ryder, and Brittany Murphy are brilliant actresses. It gives such an amazing insight to mental illness and how poorly it was handled in the 1960s. All in all, it is fine for 12+ depending on the maturity.

2 people found this helpful.

AMAZING !!!!! 13-14+

starting off, this movie was insanely good! i read the book before watching this and they (the movie and the book) are both SO good. angelina jolie & winona ryder really commit to their roles and you can tell. i also like the fact that this movie & the book dont make it seem that staying in a mental institution is all that. it really shows that staying in one & leaving it after is hard to recover from especially for young women! theres little to no violence/sex/drugs and although theres a lot of r rated swearing, its nothing teens having heard before. amazing movie! would definitely watch

1 person found this helpful.

Check the trigger warnings.

I would say 16+ as a general rule, a younger teen could handle it but there is a lot of nuance and misinformation within the movie and needs critical media skills as well as an ability to handle dark topics maturely. I would also check the tw’s before watching it or letting your kids watch it. It is quite graphic at times and doesn’t hold back. If you’ve lost people to suicide recently (like I have) it might be a good idea to give this movie a miss for a bit. There are also mentions of sexual abuse and Ed’s although they are far less graphic in their depiction. It was a really well done film but was also really unnecessarily racist at times. I technically understand why but the point they were trying to make could have been made without the racism.

Very good movie, but major tws.

This is an AMAZING movie! The actors are amazing, the message, everything about it! One of my absolute favorites. But it definitely is NOT for kids. I know you're looking at my age and saying, "Bro, why is she watching this movie at such a young age!?" (if ur normal) but that's another thing. Age ≠ Maturity. But i think most kids would be mature enough for this at around 14-16 years old. There are many sexual situations, but no actual showing of nudity. Except for one brief scene from very far of a man fully nude, but I didn't even notice until I watched it a second time! There is SO MUCH CURSING! If you are sensitive to slurs or yelling i definitely would NOT recommended this. Also many TWs for sh and suicide. So i would say 16+ if ur a normal kid, and 13+ if ur more mature than others. :)

THE BEST MOVIE EVER

This is hands down one of the best movies I’ve ever watched. It is about a young woman’s stay in a mental hospital and the people she meets there. So obviously it cover a variety of mental illnesses. It covers very dark topics in detail but is totally hilarious at the same time. The cast is amazing: Winona Ryder, Angelina Jolie, Brittany Murphy (rip) and Elisabeth Moss. There is some prescription drug abuse but nothing over the top, you see a few clips that suggest that something sexual has or will happen, they’re is mild violence but mainly only verbal abuse. Things that parents should know is that a character does hang them self and the dead body is shown. They’re are many scenes were patients are in extreme emotional distress (which are hard to watch). But I highly recommend it. It teaches you so much and leaves you thinking about it for days, it shows the harsh reality of the life in a 1960’s psychiatric hospital. Now stop reading this review and go watch it rn (it’s on Netflix)

dark but informative

Some very deep topics, talks about basically every kind of mental illness in detail. What I like is that the film does not glamorise these things such as borderline personality disorder, bulimia, schizophrenia. It instead introduces this terrifying reality of what it's like for these girls and how even after leaving and "recovering" from the institute, they struggle to cope. Very interesting.
I think this movie is really good and is a more realistic representation of what hospitalization can be like especially back then, there are some unsettling scenes and moments such as one of the characters hanging themselves and the acting during and after that scene is what really made it for me. However, i wouldn’t recommend watching this if you are having a rough time mentally but of course its your choice . Overall awesome movie but there are light mentions of sex or drugs but not overbearing

Very inspiring, insightful but DEFINATELY not meant for kids

I haven't watched the whole movie but only a few clips. So you can tell that the movie is not for kids as I have only watched clips and come to the conclusion that it is R rated. Nudity, sex, violence, drugs, slang and so much more! The movie gives us insight into how mental illnesses really look like and that they should not be taken lightly. I would have suggested it for teens (as most assume they have depression) but the movie is so not decent. VERY SCARY scenes are there, the ones that will make the conjuring look dull. So many suicide scenes are showed! My god, I was shaken after watching those clips. I mean I got some insight into mental health but if you want some insight into it (if you are teen/kid) then follow this link, it is WAY safer- https://www.youtube.com/c/Psych2go Now, back to the movie. In the movie, a girl named Susanne has borderline personality disorder (diagnosed after a suicide attempt). She is sent to a mental institution where she meets several troubled women who change her life. The movie also has an antagonist, "Lisa Rowe", a sociopath, who shares the same mental institution. A friend of theirs, Daisy, commits a DREADFUL suicide and it's very scary. Also, Lisa, being a sociopath, doesn't empathize with others and uses LOTS of bad words, mostly the "f" word. The movie is insightful but probably not for an HSP (Highly sensitive person) or children. So PLEASE WATCH IT ONLY IF YOU ARE 18+! IT'S VERY DARK. Otherwise, a very good film.

Disturbing