All parent member reviews for Goodfellas

Adult Written bythe wise one March 20, 2015

Martin Scorsese's masterpiece

Goodfellas is my favorite film of all time for many different reasons. Every time I watch it I am completely enamored with the story, the pacing, the cinematography, the music, and of course, the acting. The movie chronicles the life of Henry Hill and his rise through the New York mafia with associates Jimmy Conway and Tommy DeVito. The movie is a wild ride from start to finish and never lets up. Nothing is sugar coated in this movie and the mob life is depicted in all its gritty glory. For parents, I would not recommend this film to anyone under the age of 16. It has many scenes of brutal violence, most of which consist of beatings, a stabbing, and about 4 graphic shootings. Strong language is nearly non-stop with about 300 F words spoken throughout the movie. There are a few scenes of cocaine being snorted and cut up and sold. Most of the main characters drink and smoke constantly. As far as sexual content, it's not too strong in this movie. There are a couple of scenes of passionate kissing and two brief scenes of implied oral sex, although they are easy to miss if you're not paying attention. There are no positive role models. All the main characters are criminals and many kill without remorse. Overall, not for children and I would say it's suitable for ages 16 and up.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byciarant February 19, 2015

Excellent

Really good film based on the true story of New York gangster Henry Hill. Although not for kids as the film does contain realistic violence and swearing but i'm pretty sure a kid aged 14 and over can handle the contents of this film.
Parent Written byMichael B July 28, 2013

Too much

Hold the phone to much violence and language
Parent Written byVoiceOfReason123 July 22, 2013

No way a child of any age should see this.

I have no idea how ANY adult can say this movie is okay for ANY child. There is so much violence in this movie and the cursing is just ridiculous. I am not a prude by any stretch and agree that the cursing belongs in this type of movie but I know I would not want my child hearing the F-Bomb in every other word of dialogue. I get that cursing is a part of life but he does not need to be exposed to it at that level.
Parent of a 3, 7, 9, 14, 16, and 17 year old Written bygreatperson November 20, 2012

This brutal gangster film may be a little over the top.

Parent Written bygrapelover46 September 12, 2012

I loved this gangster film a lot.

Parent Written byharris231 September 10, 2012

Very good movie, but lots of cursing, drug abuse, violence, and sexual content.

Adult Written bypaaklapi April 28, 2012

Real masterpiece for everyone over 16

This is definitely one of the greatest mafia movies ever made along with the Godfather. There's quite a lot of violence and even more swearing. Great movie to watch for everyone older than 16.
Adult Written byredsxfenway April 29, 2010

Ultra violent beauty

One of my all time favorites. Usually narration is just a weak attempt to make up for a poorly thought out story line, but this is definitely an exception. Two of the most memorable lines in film come from Ray Liotta's voice-over; in the opening scene and the final line. Once again Thelma Schoonmaker shows that she's better than any other living film editor.
Adult Written byuytt2 December 17, 2009

legendary buy it

amazing you have to see it im suprised Martin Scorsese didnt win an award