Parent reviews for Grease

Musical phenomenon is still great fun but quite racy.

Adult Written bySophieM 1 January 5, 2016

great movie!

I saw this movie when i as ten and it was the reason i started doing plays. It has a great character and plot set up and even though there is some language and other inappropriate content, its has got a great story. I watch it all the time.
Regarding the time it was written, these actions actions are normal.

Parent Written byKandice K. July 17, 2017

Drinking, sex, pregnancy - but 1977's version

I hadn't watched this in years. I saw that parents rated it age 11 so I agreed to watch with my 11 year old daughter. I had forgotten many scenes that were awkward but I guess served to have discussions. For example, the scene where Russo is making out with the guy and he pulls out the broken condom. You can't see it, but my daughter wanted to know what it was. There were also many references to the women "putting out" and several other sexual innuendos. I loved the movie originally because it is a musical but I wish I had refreshed my memory on all of these details!

Parent Written byMichelle M. December 3, 2017

Great for “mom and child time”!

Grease is a great classic musical for the family. It does include a few bad words, but those parts are so brief and the kids were too caught up in the singing and dancing to notice anything. As far as drinking and smoking I think as long as your children understand the 50’s were a different time for high schoolers then now, it will be fine for them to watch. There also is a brief scene where one character is worried she thinks she may be pregnant. So definitely be sure your child is ready to hear this scene. But, however the movie is really about being yourself in the end, even if the characters changed a few times for each other.

Adult Written byMom_and_Son February 10, 2009

Classic Movie Musical about High School Romance!

I watched this movie when I was seven and I always walked around with my hair slicked back and a leather jacket on. I watched it when I had taken adolecensce classes and it made more sense. They don't show anything bad. Making out and some brief language is all you have to worry about. Great Movie for a summer night!!
Adult Written byfonzieg April 3, 2015

Fun and catchy musical has great songs, and has heart too!

This is easily one of the greatest films of all time as well! The songs are very catchy, and has a lot of heart! It's edgy, catchy, and sometimes hilarious, plus some of the characters are pretty relatable too! This is a movie that you'll enjoy for years to come!
Adult Written byilovegodsomuch July 29, 2011

Grease is the word!

This was my absolute favorite movie when I was younger and to be honest it still ranks high. It's not dirty or offensive, it's a musical! Sandy is a strong women who acts as a wonderful role-model.

Parent of a 10 and 12-year-old Written byUGA Mom June 8, 2010

Good for high schoolers

I saw this movie in the theaters when I was almost 15 and it was a little racy but of course I knew it all back then. Now, as a parent, I won't let my kids under 13 watch it. If your child listens to the dialogue there are several inappropriate mentions of sex, virginity, teen pregnancy and slutty girls. The only redeeming thing about Sandy changing in the end is that Danny tried to change for her as well.

Adult Written byKaren J. July 1, 2020

Not everything is as it seems.

I showed my 11 and 9 year old boys this musical hoping for a family comedy musical. It was NOT as I remembered. I was consistently disappointed and frankly, I would never show this to a legal adult. The behavior of the “high school” students is downright irresponsible. PREGNANCY! SMOKING! I would NEVER WANT my kids behaving like this, and it gave them a bad influence. Parents, don’t make my same mistake. Screen this first, or I would just say skip this movie- it is not as friendly as it may have been in a more archaic time.

Adult Written byWshields23 December 5, 2019

I love it

They would love it.

Adult Written byE A September 18, 2019

Teaches girls to dress provocatively to fit in

Though the music is catchy, albeit simplistic, you need to know that the main message in the movie is: "Sandy, change how you look, wear lots of makeup, dress like a Barbie doll and THEN you will fit in and be loved by your boyfriend." High School Musical gets it much better - Gabriella is confident in who she is and is accepted by all, helping others blossom as well.

Adult Written byRarityfan July 28, 2019

1970's the next huge trend in next decade?

You have to be grown up as a teen in the 1960's or 1970's to fully enjoy this movie. Or else a good move for schools to show students how teens was back then. I seen Grease and heard the soundtrack so many times thanks to the 1960's revival in the early 1990's.

Parent Written byhannah1991 July 5, 2019

Grease Review

This fantastic movie musical warmed the hearts of moviegoers back in 1978 and continues to do so today. This version of the Broadway musical about the spectacular 50s stars Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta as the main characters. At times there is inappropriate language of a sexual nature and at least one scene where a character is drinking or smoking. I would say this movie is for ages 11 and up.

Adult Written byKellyyllek June 12, 2019

I have always loved this movie!!!

I think I was around 9 when my mom let me watch Grease. I was an instant fan and even though I could never look just like Sandy (Olivia Newton John), boy did I want to be her. I watched the movie probably 500 times, haha. At the end of the movie Sandy goes against her goodie two shoes self and smokes a cigarette in order to get the guy. Well because of this scene I decided to give smoking a try myself at 14 years old (I was a very immature 14 year old). Luckily I didn’t get addicted and haven’t smoked sense. But, because of this, I won’t be letting my kids watch it until they are 15 or maybe even older. Other than that one scene when she is smoking there is a minor back of the car sex scene (no nudity) that later leads to a possible pregnancy with a different character in the movie. Really both scenes are minor and I don’t think it would have the same effect on a child who watches the movie one time. But I was obsessed.

Adult Written bydvdgirl February 19, 2019

Eh not for kids

There are some stuff in this great movie that may not be for kids other than that it’s a classic that people love and never forget.

Adult Written byConcernedmotherof3 December 29, 2018

Great! but be careful

this movie is one of a kind , it is a perfect introduction to the world of musicals. I watched with my two thirteen year old's and by the end we where laughing and singing along. If you have had the talk and do not take it to seriously it's a fantastic way to spend time with your teen. Note: Avoid watching this with your younger kids the characters are a bit dramatized and it is just to overwhelming.
Adult Written by[email protected] October 23, 2018

Adult Written byDisney32135 September 16, 2018

High School Musical is WAY BETTER

High School Musical I think is way better than Grease because it has a better message and great songs. I remember when I had to sing Grease Lightning (the equivalent of High School Musical's Getcha Head in the Game) in front of my whole family when I was younger and I hated it so much. This movie SUCKS compared to High School Musical

Adult Written byAnna Q. August 23, 2018
Adult Written byJohn T. May 23, 2018

Most adult jokes will go over kids heads anyway

IS there some adult humor in this? Sure. Plenty of it. But most will go over young kids' heads. Those the get the joke are already hearing that stuff, and likely SAYING that stuff already. I hate to break it to parents, but it's true. Your 12 year old is almost definitely already talking about the things sung about in Greased Lightning. But the good news is that they are still going to turn out just fine. One thing I find a little disturbing about many reviews is there is plenty of talk about Sandy changing (totally on her own), but not one is upset that she then DEMANDS (in song) that Danny "better shape up" and change for her? (Which is something Danny had been doing the entire movie..changing for her.) Sort of a double standard, saying that it is OK for a woman to demand a man change for her, but not OK to depict a girl who is very old fashioned to want to modernize when she enters a new culture? Bottom line..let's your kids enjoy the music. This movie is not going to give them any sort of sexual deficiencies. Nor will seeing people smoking make them start. If they ask, simply tell them that smoking was MUCH more common, both i the 70s when the movie was made, but especially in the 50s when it was set. But now that we know more about the risks of smoking, it is thankfully decreasing in popularity.
Adult Written bysimonmbrooks March 5, 2018

Not appropriate for young peeps

I think the lyrics to the fabulous song - Greased Lightening - will sum up the movie content:
You know that ain't no shit we'll be getting lots of tit
In Grease Lightning...
You are supreme the chicks'll cream for grease lightning...
With new pistons, plugs, and shocks I can get off my rocks
You know that I ain't bragging she's a real pussy wagon
Grease lightning....