All parent member reviews for Grease

Parent of a 8 year old Written byMomMcA October 20, 2010

fine for older kids, but not for tweens

While I loved this movie as a teen (I was around 11 when it came out) my parents were SURE to have a talk with me about the choices Sandy was making, and why she was being bullied. (it's pretty clear she must conform to being the sex toy of a boy.... in the late 70s this wasn't a hit with feminists I am guessing). Some 8 year olds in my daughter's circle of friends are in love with this film, and guess what bullying behavior they are mimicking? "Pink Ladies" at 8- going after my kid for not being sexy enough? no kidding. I suggest parents re-watch this classic in private before they have their kids trying to mimic it.
Adult Written bymom 4 ever April 9, 2008
Parent Written byBoomct June 30, 2012

Suitable for 13 year olds? Not on your life!

Really unsuitable message for kids, and certainly not for 13 year olds. But if you want your daughter to learn that she should to change her image and look and act like a tart and that this will result in happiness for all, then go ahead. Too much promiscuity and not the sort of message we should be giving our kids, even though the music and dancing is undoubtably entertaining. Stay away from this one until you're old enough to analyze the issues maturely.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper June 20, 2010

It is a great movie, but only for older kids because: Sex: Many references to sex (nothing to over the top) and couples are seen making out. They also talk about virginity and broken condoms and a girl thinks she is pregnant. Language: Many uses of "crap" as well as a couple "hell"'s, and one "@$$". The song "Greased Lightning" says "s**t" t*t" and "p*ssy". Drugs: Lots of smoking and underaged drinking
Parent Written byKendall2 June 1, 2013

Wow, Threw this Movie in the Trash as Soon as I Reviewed it!

I'm shocked that this movie has so many positive reviews. I previewed it recently, knowing that it was popular and hoping that it would be a fun movie for my kids to watch. I didn't enjoy it at all. It was raunchy and unbelievably silly. The exaggerated, stereotypical behavior of the characters was very annoying. I'm surprised that John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John accepted parts in this movie. The cheap sexual innuendos, silly, sleezy songs, corny jokes and lack of morals of most of the characters made this movie a complete waste of time, in my opinion. I don't plan to let my kids or teens watch it but I couldn't get them to watch it if I tried. They would all say, "Mom, where did you find such a stupid movie?" I disagree that it would be okay to let younger children watch it because even if they didn't understand the sexual content, the tone of the movie wouldn't go over their heads.
Parent of a 3 and 9 year old Written bymoviemum July 24, 2009

Great Movie!

One of my favorites, but soooo inappropriate! But, buy the CD and liston We Go Together, You're The One That I Want, Hopelssly Devoted, and Summer Nights although you might consider it a bit iffy!
Adult Written byDisneyFan April 9, 2008

A CLassic

I grew up wanting to be Olivia Newton-John and watching this movie over and over again; however, once I watched it as an adult, I realized how filthy it really is. Grease Lightening is a foul, nasty song. That said, I think you need to be careful about kids watching it--no matter how great of a movie it is. My son is at the age where he WOULD get what's going on, so I wouldn't want him watching. Perhaps younger kids won't catch onto the sexual dialogue, thereby making it actually okay for them to watch. This definately should have been a PG-13 movie, but they didn't have that rating at the time.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bySchwim August 2, 2010

Not appropriate for tweens

Started to watch this last night with my almost 13-year old boy/girl twins. I was really disappointed in a) how bad it seemed now after all these years since I last saw it and b) how inappropriate it was--constant references to sex, "flog your log," etc. etc. I think this isn't appropriate for tweens
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byUGA Mom June 8, 2010

Good for high schoolers

I saw this movie in the theaters when I was almost 15 and it was a little racy but of course I knew it all back then. Now, as a parent, I won't let my kids under 13 watch it. If your child listens to the dialogue there are several inappropriate mentions of sex, virginity, teen pregnancy and slutty girls. The only redeeming thing about Sandy changing in the end is that Danny tried to change for her as well.
Educator Written bySaskiwi August 9, 2013

Icky...

It depresses me that this is considered great tween viewing. The overall message is abysmal- be a tramp and get your man. Yes the songs are catchy and have become iconic over the years, but it still is kind of awful that we feed this pap to young kids without a second thought... Definitely only for teens in my book and only after some conversations about peer pressure and sexual choices!
Adult Written bysoymissk8 April 9, 2008

When I first saw this movie I was 13...

ANd I was SHOCKED. I knew kids who memorized the entire soudntrack in 4th grade and it was one of those movies I knew I'd see, just didn't get around to it until later. I was offended by some of the themes and shocked that it was "acceptable" for young kids! The fact that Sandy has to change herself and darkens up for some guy... and the teen pregnancy. Today I enjoy the film, but I'm 21. I think the themes are not suited for kids under 13.
Adult Written byilovegodsomuch July 29, 2011

Grease is the word!

This was my absolute favorite movie when I was younger and to be honest it still ranks high. It's not dirty or offensive, it's a musical! Sandy is a strong women who acts as a wonderful role-model.
Parent of a 4, 6, 9, 10, 12, and 15 year old Written byNerdy_Mamma February 1, 2010

Adult Written byMom_and_Son February 10, 2009

Classic Movie Musical about High School Romance!

I watched this movie when I was seven and I always walked around with my hair slicked back and a leather jacket on. I watched it when I had taken adolecensce classes and it made more sense. They don't show anything bad. Making out and some brief language is all you have to worry about. Great Movie for a summer night!!
Adult Written bymrnocal April 9, 2008

A fun musical, but be cautious.

This is a fun musical, and one of my favorites. However, the message it conveys at the end, that in order to get the boy you love you have to be a "bad" girl and not stay true to yourself, is not a good example for children.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMrs. Padilla March 30, 2011

Personally love it!
Adult Written byKatster July 1, 2009

Adult Written byfonzieg April 3, 2015

Fun and catchy musical has great songs, and has heart too!

This is easily one of the greatest films of all time as well! The songs are very catchy, and has a lot of heart! It's edgy, catchy, and sometimes hilarious, plus some of the characters are pretty relatable too! This is a movie that you'll enjoy for years to come!
Adult Written byvanessaa1 March 19, 2015

Classic

Grease is a fun and classic movie that showcases teenage life in America during the fifties. The first release of the film directed by Randal Kleiser was in 1978 however, the movie was re-released in 1998. The movie follows Danny and Sandy who fall for each other during the summer but, they must part not knowing they will see one another again. After ending up at the same high school once that summer ended (Rydell High) Danny is stuck in between choosing to act like the tough bad boy in order to keep his reputation or the sweet romantic Sandy knows of. The character Danny is played by John Travolta and Sandy is played by Olivia Newton-John. These two have a chemistry that is unbeatable on screen with their vocal skills and exquisite choreography. Not to mention they make an attractive couple. The stars of the greasers include, Jeff Conaway (Kenicke), Barry Pearl (Doody), and Michael Tucci (Sonny). The "Pink Ladies" the crew Sandy begins to make friends with include Stockard Channing (Rizzo) and Didi Con (Frenchy). This group of friends give a great performance just as the lead stars to create an eventful and lively musical.
Adult Written bymattbruns3 February 25, 2015

Good movie but a lot of sexual content.

This movie is way above the PG level. It should be R, Some of the songs are sexual especially Grease Lightnin. There is a sex scene but not fully unclothed just the pants of the couple are off, you can not see anything below the shirts. There are other scenes with making out, and there are sexual remarks like bite the winnie, flop your log etc. It's OK for 15 if they are supervised by an adult.