Parent reviews for Grease

Musical phenomenon is still great fun but quite racy.

Adult Written bySophieM 1 January 5, 2016

great movie!

I saw this movie when i as ten and it was the reason i started doing plays. It has a great character and plot set up and even though there is some language and other inappropriate content, its has got a great story. I watch it all the time.
Regarding the time it was written, these actions actions are normal.

Parent Written byKandice K. July 17, 2017

Drinking, sex, pregnancy - but 1977's version

I hadn't watched this in years. I saw that parents rated it age 11 so I agreed to watch with my 11 year old daughter. I had forgotten many scenes that were awkward but I guess served to have discussions. For example, the scene where Russo is making out with the guy and he pulls out the broken condom. You can't see it, but my daughter wanted to know what it was. There were also many references to the women "putting out" and several other sexual innuendos. I loved the movie originally because it is a musical but I wish I had refreshed my memory on all of these details!

Adult Written bylondonmissolivia May 24, 2021

Grease Review-

Should Grease be a family movie? This review will hopefully tell you. This review you will read is from a 19 year old, so hopefully, my review will help in some ways.

Positive Messages: 0/10

Positive Role Models/Representations: 0/10

Violence: 1/10
While playing sports, a guy hits two students and snaps an person's mask. A male character draws a switchblade in preparation.

Sex: 6/10
A character is briefly shown in a lingerie. Characters make out. Sexual activity is implied when two characters discuss a condom that broke, resulting in a guy's fear a girl may be pregnant. Naked derrieres are seen. A boy peeks up the skirts of one of the female students. The Pink Ladies dance around in their nighties mocking Sandy for being a virgin. The song "Greased Lightning" has strong sexual content.

Language: 7/10
Ass, crap, weenie, heinie, dingleberries, jugs, and dork. A girl says, "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee, lousy with virginity." The song "Greased Lightning" has profanity including "s**t," and more.

Consumerism: 0/5

Drinking, Drugs, or Smoking: 6/10
Characters smoke, drink, and spike [drug] punch at a school dance.

I would say Grease is for 13+ for sexual content, strong language, and mature themes. If the child watching has parental advisory, I don't really see any conflict.

Adult Written byE A September 18, 2019

Teaches girls to dress provocatively to fit in

Though the music is catchy, albeit simplistic, you need to know that the main message in the movie is: "Sandy, change how you look, wear lots of makeup, dress like a Barbie doll and THEN you will fit in and be loved by your boyfriend." High School Musical gets it much better - Gabriella is confident in who she is and is accepted by all, helping others blossom as well.

Parent Written byMichelle M. December 3, 2017

Great for “mom and child time”!

Grease is a great classic musical for the family. It does include a few bad words, but those parts are so brief and the kids were too caught up in the singing and dancing to notice anything. As far as drinking and smoking I think as long as your children understand the 50’s were a different time for high schoolers then now, it will be fine for them to watch. There also is a brief scene where one character is worried she thinks she may be pregnant. So definitely be sure your child is ready to hear this scene. But, however the movie is really about being yourself in the end, even if the characters changed a few times for each other.

Adult Written byMom_and_Son February 10, 2009

Classic Movie Musical about High School Romance!

I watched this movie when I was seven and I always walked around with my hair slicked back and a leather jacket on. I watched it when I had taken adolecensce classes and it made more sense. They don't show anything bad. Making out and some brief language is all you have to worry about. Great Movie for a summer night!!
Adult Written bydvdgirl February 19, 2019

Eh not for kids

There are some stuff in this great movie that may not be for kids other than that it’s a classic that people love and never forget.

Adult Written byfonzieg April 3, 2015

Fun and catchy musical has great songs, and has heart too!

This is easily one of the greatest films of all time as well! The songs are very catchy, and has a lot of heart! It's edgy, catchy, and sometimes hilarious, plus some of the characters are pretty relatable too! This is a movie that you'll enjoy for years to come!
Adult Written byilovegodsomuch July 29, 2011

Grease is the word!

This was my absolute favorite movie when I was younger and to be honest it still ranks high. It's not dirty or offensive, it's a musical! Sandy is a strong women who acts as a wonderful role-model.

Parent of a 10 and 12-year-old Written byUGA Mom June 8, 2010

Good for high schoolers

I saw this movie in the theaters when I was almost 15 and it was a little racy but of course I knew it all back then. Now, as a parent, I won't let my kids under 13 watch it. If your child listens to the dialogue there are several inappropriate mentions of sex, virginity, teen pregnancy and slutty girls. The only redeeming thing about Sandy changing in the end is that Danny tried to change for her as well.

Adult Written bySMart ADuLt July 21, 2021

An amazing movie for ages 9 and up!

This is an amazing romantic movie that age 10 and up would like and its appropriate for 9 and up! really good movie!!!

Adult Written byWizardsFirstRule July 20, 2021

Rated PG on Apple TV but completely inappropriate for children

The entire movie is about sex which if done elegantly and written cleverly can be fine as it generally would pass over the heads of most children. However, we had to stop the movie when Rizzo was in the car with Kenickie and they were going to go hook up. But the three stooges were sitting in the back and Rizzo says "Ok, so what do you guys think this is a gang bang?" and Sonny says "Yeah, you wish."

How is this a PG rated title? Not PG-13 but just PG. Now my daughter is asking me what a gangbang is and I have to lie and tell her its when two people just want to be alone. I haven't seen this movie in like 25 years and I am a little sketchy with PG-13 stuff but I should be able to rely on anything rated PG without having to pre-watch the movie. No-one in High School Musical mentions gang bangs at any point so it can be done. Super inappropriate.

Adult Written byElena G April 30, 2021

Very sexualized!!

The sexual content, behaviour and language means this movie is suitable for kids 15+ .
Apart from good dancing I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Adult Written byreddie stan April 5, 2021

Greased Lightnin'!

I was around 5 when my parents let me watch Grease, and it was amazing. There's some minor swearing but it's hard to hear and there is one sex scene but you'd think Rizzo and Kenickie were just kissing. Amazing movie, totally recommend.

Adult Written byLoveyjack8 January 5, 2021

Classic

I think 10 and up is appropriate as long as you are not so sensitive. Really catchy songs that make you get into the groove!
Adult Written byAmy286 October 16, 2020

ITS AMAZING FOR ANYONE TO SEE , ANYBODY COULD WATCH THIS DONT MATTER WHAT AGE

MY brother is 7 and he loves the movie

Adult Written byKaren J. July 1, 2020

Not everything is as it seems.

I showed my 11 and 9 year old boys this musical hoping for a family comedy musical. It was NOT as I remembered. I was consistently disappointed and frankly, I would never show this to a legal adult. The behavior of the “high school” students is downright irresponsible. PREGNANCY! SMOKING! I would NEVER WANT my kids behaving like this, and it gave them a bad influence. Parents, don’t make my same mistake. Screen this first, or I would just say skip this movie- it is not as friendly as it may have been in a more archaic time.

Adult Written byWshields23 December 5, 2019

I love it

They would love it.

Adult Written byRarityfan July 28, 2019

1970's the next huge trend in next decade?

You have to be grown up as a teen in the 1960's or 1970's to fully enjoy this movie. Or else a good move for schools to show students how teens was back then. I seen Grease and heard the soundtrack so many times thanks to the 1960's revival in the early 1990's.

Parent Written byhannah1991 July 5, 2019

Grease Review

This fantastic movie musical warmed the hearts of moviegoers back in 1978 and continues to do so today. This version of the Broadway musical about the spectacular 50s stars Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta as the main characters. At times there is inappropriate language of a sexual nature and at least one scene where a character is drinking or smoking. I would say this movie is for ages 11 and up.