All parent member reviews for Grease

Parent of a 8 year old Written byMomMcA October 20, 2010

fine for older kids, but not for tweens

While I loved this movie as a teen (I was around 11 when it came out) my parents were SURE to have a talk with me about the choices Sandy was making, and why she was being bullied. (it's pretty clear she must conform to being the sex toy of a boy.... in the late 70s this wasn't a hit with feminists I am guessing). Some 8 year olds in my daughter's circle of friends are in love with this film, and guess what bullying behavior they are mimicking? "Pink Ladies" at 8- going after my kid for not being sexy enough? no kidding. I suggest parents re-watch this classic in private before they have their kids trying to mimic it.
Adult Written bymom 4 ever April 9, 2008
Parent Written byBoomct June 30, 2012

Suitable for 13 year olds? Not on your life!

Really unsuitable message for kids, and certainly not for 13 year olds. But if you want your daughter to learn that she should to change her image and look and act like a tart and that this will result in happiness for all, then go ahead. Too much promiscuity and not the sort of message we should be giving our kids, even though the music and dancing is undoubtably entertaining. Stay away from this one until you're old enough to analyze the issues maturely.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper June 20, 2010
It is a great movie, but only for older kids because: Sex: Many references to sex (nothing to over the top) and couples are seen making out. They also talk about virginity and broken condoms and a girl thinks she is pregnant. Language: Many uses of "crap" as well as a couple "hell"'s, and one "@$$". The song "Greased Lightning" says "s**t" t*t" and "p*ssy". Drugs: Lots of smoking and underaged drinking
Adult Written byMom_and_Son February 10, 2009

Classic Movie Musical about High School Romance!

I watched this movie when I was seven and I always walked around with my hair slicked back and a leather jacket on. I watched it when I had taken adolecensce classes and it made more sense. They don't show anything bad. Making out and some brief language is all you have to worry about. Great Movie for a summer night!!
Adult Written byilovegodsomuch July 29, 2011

Grease is the word!

This was my absolute favorite movie when I was younger and to be honest it still ranks high. It's not dirty or offensive, it's a musical! Sandy is a strong women who acts as a wonderful role-model.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bySchwim August 2, 2010

Not appropriate for tweens

Started to watch this last night with my almost 13-year old boy/girl twins. I was really disappointed in a) how bad it seemed now after all these years since I last saw it and b) how inappropriate it was--constant references to sex, "flog your log," etc. etc. I think this isn't appropriate for tweens
Parent of a 4, 6, 9, 10, 12, and 15 year old Written byNerdy_Mamma February 1, 2010
Adult Written byDisneyFan April 9, 2008

A CLassic

I grew up wanting to be Olivia Newton-John and watching this movie over and over again; however, once I watched it as an adult, I realized how filthy it really is. Grease Lightening is a foul, nasty song. That said, I think you need to be careful about kids watching it--no matter how great of a movie it is. My son is at the age where he WOULD get what's going on, so I wouldn't want him watching. Perhaps younger kids won't catch onto the sexual dialogue, thereby making it actually okay for them to watch. This definately should have been a PG-13 movie, but they didn't have that rating at the time.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byUGA Mom June 8, 2010

Good for high schoolers

I saw this movie in the theaters when I was almost 15 and it was a little racy but of course I knew it all back then. Now, as a parent, I won't let my kids under 13 watch it. If your child listens to the dialogue there are several inappropriate mentions of sex, virginity, teen pregnancy and slutty girls. The only redeeming thing about Sandy changing in the end is that Danny tried to change for her as well.
Educator Written bySaskiwi August 9, 2013

Icky...

It depresses me that this is considered great tween viewing. The overall message is abysmal- be a tramp and get your man. Yes the songs are catchy and have become iconic over the years, but it still is kind of awful that we feed this pap to young kids without a second thought... Definitely only for teens in my book and only after some conversations about peer pressure and sexual choices!
Adult Written bysoymissk8 April 9, 2008

When I first saw this movie I was 13...

ANd I was SHOCKED. I knew kids who memorized the entire soudntrack in 4th grade and it was one of those movies I knew I'd see, just didn't get around to it until later. I was offended by some of the themes and shocked that it was "acceptable" for young kids! The fact that Sandy has to change herself and darkens up for some guy... and the teen pregnancy. Today I enjoy the film, but I'm 21. I think the themes are not suited for kids under 13.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMamaBearNJ December 4, 2015

Bad messages: "Don't Be Yourself! Conform!"

I think Common Sense Media needs buttons for "bad messages" and "bad role models." Sex and violence aren't the only messages we need to watch out for--although they're here, too. Sandy is picked on by other girls (today we'd call it social bullying) and even the boy who's attracted to her treats her shabbily until she learns that the secret to happiness is to conform to the norms of her peer group in everything, from clothes and hair to sexual availability. What a message for kids--or anybody! I first saw this when I was about 14, and it appalled me the way it seemed to vindicate the bullies and make the "good girl" the one who needed to "shape up." Not to mention the message implicit in Rizzo's pregnancy false alarm. "Don't worry--it won't really happen, so go on playing around." If you want to show this to kids for the fun song and dance numbers, then I'd advise adding a strong dose of talking about what would be better ways for the characters to behave.
Adult Written bySophieM 1 January 5, 2016

great movie!

I saw this movie when i as ten and it was the reason i started doing plays. It has a great character and plot set up and even though there is some language and other inappropriate content, its has got a great story. I watch it all the time. Regarding the time it was written, these actions actions are normal.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique October 5, 2014

Love It

I love this film, it's a classic, well known, people love it, however some people may have issues with the sexual content in this film. I don't see it as a problem personally, it shows some good lessons in this movie and none of it concerns me all too much.
Adult Written bymrnocal April 9, 2008

A fun musical, but be cautious.

This is a fun musical, and one of my favorites. However, the message it conveys at the end, that in order to get the boy you love you have to be a "bad" girl and not stay true to yourself, is not a good example for children.
Parent of a 8, 10, and 11 year old Written byMHR75killsU January 6, 2015

An Iconic Musical Gives More Than Entertainment

I loved this film growing up and I still love it now. However, as a father, I am given as much pause in this film now as I am enjoyment. Released (to the best of my knowledge) before the PG-13 rating was created, this film is loaded with sexual content. The first half of the movie seems to have almost one sexual reference or more per line of lyric or sentence of dialogue. That being said, there is a positive takeaway message to be seen in the two main characters. While Danny was a different person, maybe his real self, with Sandy, he did a 180 with his friends. In the beginning of the movie you could point out to your teens how he is unhappy because he changes himself to please others. By the end of the movie we see both Danny and Sandy change themselves almost completely to make the other happy but they end up finding a common ground.
Adult Written bys80 December 16, 2014

For 12 year olds?

Really? This site thinks it's appropriate for 12-year-olds to watch a musical with a song that refers to a car as a "pu...sy wagon" and sends the overall message that if you change everything about your identity, then and only then will the person you're interested in accept you. This movie is much more perverse than most R-rated comedies. The main character, a high school student, is viewed as prudish and arrogant because she's a virgin, and the only way this problem is dealt with is when that character sheds her image and becomes what she thinks everybody else wants her to be with no negative repercussions. Sure, they don't show any sex, but the message behind every scene (often in an insidious manner) is that teens must do it.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMrs. Padilla March 30, 2011