Parent reviews for Green Lantern

Entertaining but superficial superhero thriller.

Adult Written byGraduateReviews September 14, 2018

Wha-- like, what even... *ugh*

There's a reason that Ryan Reynolds naturally refers to this pile of garbage as his worst movie. That being said, I'm going to be blunt: this movie sucks. It is a masterclass in stupidity and a perfect example of studio interference combined with a terrible, terrible, concept. This movie could have been good. This movie should have been good! The director and producers had decades of Green Lantern comics upon which they could base their movie! So much wasted potential... so much. To appease the people who use this website as a reference tool: yeah, sure, okay. This movie is probably fine for 12 year olds. Some creepy imagery. Superhero violence. It's all over the top and dumb. And fine, Ryan Reynolds's character (I can't even remember his name) is a pretty cool guy. Good role models abound, as the Green Lantern people are protectors of the universe, blah, blah, blah. But PLEASE! There are so many good superhero movies out there. Go... shoo... don't watch this movie. Go watch The Avengers or The Dark Knight or Deadpool or Spider-Man or even The Crow for gods sake. Just don't subject yourself to this monstrosity.
Ever.

Parent Written bycalled2create April 1, 2014

Interesting Story, But...

My son, eight, at the time of this writing has been wanting to see this film SO badly. My oldest just bought the DVD and I previewed it today. The story is interesting, but the incessant cursing throughout the film is a turn-off. We don't use foul language, ever. And, it's something that I can't condone when trying to raise my kids to appreciate 'real' words when speaking.

Also, the Parallax character was pretty scary ... as was the soul sucking. The other villain morphed into something really disturbing too. My son would have had nightmares had we allowed him to watch.

Personally, I don't think we ought to casually allow foul language, casual sex or disturbing images to be a part of our kids entertainment. It undermines good character, and wholesome values.

The film would have been good without the language and toned-down scare factor.

Adult Written byGamer4056 August 15, 2018

Green Lantern Parent Guide

Violence: Superhero and slapstick violence. That is also a scary moment for a few children. There is also more violence that I am not going to mention. Edgy jokes/suggestive themes: Hal is seen in his underwear when he gets up from bed. Some kids might think that he was making out with the lady next to him. Hal's girlfriend mentions to Hal that she seen him naked before to support her claim about how she knew it was him in his Green Lantern suit. Some kids might think that she was referring to sex, showers together or her watching him while he is naked. Nudity: None really. Hal is seen in his underwear not, without anything on. Rude humor: Hal's girlfriend mentions to Hal that she seen him naked before to support her claim about how she knew it was him in his Green Lantern suit. Sexual content: None. Only the extended version of this movie has sexual content. It is called "EXT: Green Lantern" and it is rated R. "Green Lantern" is better than "EXT: Green Lantern" because it is rated PG-13 and does not have any sexual content. Drinking/drugs/smoking: Not much. Love content: Kissing. Some PG and PG-13 movies may have the same content that is in this movie but, PG-13 is higher than PG.

Parent of a 10, 12, and 16-year-old Written byHendo H. U January 13, 2018

Written byAnonymous August 25, 2014

Parent of a 2-year-old Written bygerbowski November 26, 2012

Fun, but shallow

Yet another fun superhero movie without much depth.

Parent Written bytreat02 May 12, 2012

A well done movie

I like this movie, and I think the story line is pretty well done. The reason I say ten-years-old is because otherwise, the creatures may scare (some) younger children.

Adult Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 2, 2012

Green Lantern 2011 movie

sucke graphics, but a good thrilling super hero story.

Adult Written byDasGinatron November 6, 2011

The Green Lantern is ON!

This is a fantastic movie! I actually watched it thinking it would be below par, and was pleased to enjoy it so thoroughly. That being said, I probably would not let my child watch this with me until they were about 12. There are some themes and attitudes in this movie that aid in the premise, but would be inappropriate for the younger crowds. The action figures and toys accompanying this movie, as well as the cartoons, are much more appropriate for younger children who want to play super hero.

Parent of a 1, 3, 6, 10, and 16-year-old Written bymlk18 October 20, 2011

Not too bad, but not great either

Not the greatest movie in the super hero genre. It can't compete with Captain America, but it is superior to many others where they have to add crude language and sex to sell movie tickets. All in all it's just an okay movie that isn't overly violent.
Parent of a 10 and 13-year-old Written byTheRightGuy101 September 2, 2011

Boring Action scenes but great ideas!

Kids who love far-fetched sci-fi movies will love this one! The action at the end looked like the director wanted to just finish it fast. The main opponent is this weird alien God that try's to eat Earth { I think }. All Green Lantern does is push the alien into the sun. That's pretty much it. The movie is not that graphic but may be scary for the easily-scared-kids. But others will like it. Know your child. Fine for 2 and up. 3/5

Adult Written bybdh September 2, 2011

just not good

disappointing super hero movie doesn't have it.
Adult Written bymarosmenti August 24, 2011

Great psychological and philosophical massage!

I consider this film to be an average action film, however, both the psychological and the philosophical aspects of the film are quite interesting! That is why I wrote a review on my blog. If you're interested, please check it out. The Marosmenti Blog -> The Green Lantern movie review

Parent of a 6 and 10-year-old Written byironman2 August 10, 2011

Green Lantern, a movie that was probably the worst super hero flick ever!

This movie was very bad in more than twenty-eight ways. I will only list one of them. This movie had terrible acting from the actor to the actress!
Adult Written bysarahkay89 July 25, 2011

Good for teens+

I thought this movie had violence, but no more than I would expect from a superhero movie. The language was somewhat harsh (and included use of bad words through gestures). The opening scene with Renyolds was him waking up in bed with a woman, but it was no more graphic than that. Overall, this was a good superhero movie, but I would only show it to older teens.

Parent of a 7-year-old Written byMaw2 July 14, 2011

UCK!

I was very disapointed. I hoped it would be more like the comic book. I think the point came across in the books and did not have so much language. The outcome may have been ok but the getting there was very disappointing.
Adult Written byshashabel9 July 6, 2011

you missunderstand

there are NO positive messages

Adult Written byhoffmans71 July 5, 2011

Green Is Go!

It stays true to the comics and to Justice League with the excedption of putting Hal Jordan in John Stewart's timeline. Its a good story and intense at times to be sure. Well worth the money.

Adult Written bygreenergere July 3, 2011

green lantern

pg13 for intense action violence and some language
this movie was good for kids under 12 because there is a ton of action and few uses of the gd word,a word and the d word but other than that its clean

Parent of a 13 and 16-year-old Written byjtab4994 June 27, 2011

Good for comic book/superhero fans

If your kids are into comic books or other superhero movies, they will probably like this one. We've been aniticpating this movie for years, ever since my elder son (now 16) insisted on going by the name Green Lantern for about 3 months when he was 3.