All parent member reviews for Gremlins

Parent of a 9 year old Written byJanna October 11, 2009

It's OK, if your kids don't believe in Santa!

It's been awhile since I have seen this movie. My 9 year old does not scare easily and I new she would love the cute little Gremlin that never changed. However, I deeply regret showing this movie to my daughter who still holds onto a belief in Santa Claus. There is a scene where a young woman is telling her boyfriend why she hates Christmas. She explains her father died in her chimney when he was dressed as Santa attempting to surprise her one Christmas. The woman states, "That's how I found out there is no Santa Claus". My daughter was very upset by this. If your children still believe in Santa, don't show them this movie!
Adult Written byclimb4time2 April 9, 2008

Different as an adult than I remembered it as a Kid

I did remember the comical violence and mean-spirited mischief of the gremlins. I thought that would be okay. What I didn't remember was the swearing (some things I think would have earned it a pg13 now. Also there is an instance where the main female character reveals a yucky-to-kids Christmas situation from her past. She should have ended with, "That's when I stopped liking Christmas," rather than what she did say (specific thought about the man in red.) The movie doesn't do anything to redeem that line and it doesn't add or detract from the story.
Adult Written bys-k July 24, 2009

Depends on the child

My 6 yr old and I watched this movie when he was 5 and he loved it so much he begs to let him watch it over and over. We discussed it in great length, he knows movies aren't real, never has nightmares, knows he's not allowed to use adult language and he laughs at most of it because the 'gremlins' aren't real, now he can pretty much tell me the whole story, and somehow the 'Santa' reference gets unnoticed every time he watches. Every child is different and has a different level of comprehension, it should ultimately be up to the parent to know their child well enough to know what they can handle and what they can't. I never considered this a 'horror' flick ever and actually told my son when we watched it that it's a super funny movie and laughed during most of it myself - ergo why he laughs at most of it. It's important for parents to always watch any kind of movie for the first time with their child and to really know their child. I know dozens of kids I wouldn't dream of letting watch this movie but I know my own kid and know he can handle it. And I was going to be one of those parents who censored everything and sheltered my kid from all of these things, only to find out that won't help him in the long run. There has to be open discussion about everything and the younger the better.
Adult Written bydddddd11 January 2, 2009

DO NOT ALLOW KIDS UNDER 10 YEARS TO SEE!!!!! VERY DISTURBING

I got this for my kids to see. Scary but fun I thought. Watched on New Years Eve with my 8 and 11 year olds and I cried myself to sleep. What were the writer and directors thinking with the whole Phoebe Cates story as to why she hates Christmas. I couldn't get my remote fast enough to shut it off, I could tell where it was going but it was even worse than I thought with her last line. I had to do a little explaining to my eight year old that night, New years eve, I explained and than cried myself to sleep over the loss of his innocence. This did not even tie in with the movie at all. It was put the intentionally to be disturbing. This is a dark and disturbing scene. I hate myself for allowing my kids to see it because of that one scene. Her father stuck in a chimney in a Santa Claus outfit with gifts in hand to be found by the smell of decay and thats how she found out there was no santa claus. Steven Speilberg should be ashamed!!! Absolutely not age appropriate.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bythreelambs August 20, 2009

Have to carefully judge for yourself regarding "right" age to watch

We were looking for a "scary" movie for my daughter's birthday sleepover. The clerk recommended Gremlins as a classic, and assured me it was rated PG. I now understand that some 80's movies with PG ratings were rated before PG-13 existed, and therefore I need to be suspect of PG from that era. My biggest complaint is that the story line begins by humanizing the first "good" gremlin, so when the killing and horror begins, it feels really disturbing in an almost "human on human" kind of violence. I also was very uncomfortable with the casual inclusion (and glamorization/humor) of smoking and alcohol use. In the long run, we watched "Arachnophobia" for our party, which I would love to review but is not currently listed on this site. My 10 yr old and I did watch Gremlins together alone after the party, and she did enjoy it for the most part--she just is a kid who kinda likes gross and scary things. But I would have been horrified to have accidentally hosted it for a large group of 10 yr olds, some of which could easily been bothered by the content.
Adult Written byrockmonster May 8, 2012

A classic unsuitable for the faint of heart

Gremlins is a movie which is controversial because of the contrast between its use of violence and its target age group. It is easily appropriate for mature children over the age of 10. If your child is easily disturbed, find another movie. I would show this movie without hesitation to my ten year old brother, but would not even suggest it to my fifteen year old sister. It depends on the person. Violence in this movie is kept to a minimum. A few people die from the mayhem caused by the gremlins, but none of these deaths are shown. A young man's face is cut, and blood oozes from it, but again, this is not graphic. The most graphic scene is when the mother throws a gremlin into the blender and turns it on. Green goo is shown spraying all over the entire room. She then proceeds to corner another creature in the microwave. She shuts it in and turns it on. The creature explodes inside the microwave, and blood and goo are shown plastering the inside of the door. Language is also infrequent. It includes several uses of h*ll, g*dd*mn, and other mild profanities. There is no sexual content besides a quick kiss. There is some drinking. The sheriff is shown drinking in his office. A man is shown leaving a bar drunk, and a group of gremlins sit in the bar and guzzle liquor. As for interest levels, this movie is best suited for children 8-12. Teens may be interested in this movie if they enjoy watching classics or if they are horror fans. Overall, this movie is moderate in content. It is suitable for anyone over the age of ten who has a strong stomach. Kids ages 8-9 require parental discernment, and children under 7 should not consider seeing this movie.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bySuperParent August 29, 2009

Joe Dante Classic

A Terrific Kid's Horror Film! it was PG at the time, but some parents found it too scary for kids, but i don't think it's a big deal! depends on the kid you have, but i reccomend it for all ages
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 8, 2012

Not for young audiences, know your kid!!!

This is not a movie for young kids. I saw this as a pretty young kid, and it did not affect me personally, but I saw a lot of horror movies growing up (bad parents). This movie has a lot of violence and killing. It's pretty silly, but the gremlins are scary. Know your kid! My 8 year old has nightmares about this movie, even though she saw it over a year ago. Just because it doesn't affect them right away, doesn't mean it won't eventually. This one really doesn't have an age to go with it. You have to see it yourself to know how it will affect your kid. And there is a bit of smoking and drinking.
Parent Written byFiske August 28, 2011

Gives away Santa

Beware that this movie gives away Santa! I hate it when movies do that.
Adult Written bybaconbrother4 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymovienut33 April 9, 2008
Parent of a 11 year old Written byTomZ1265 May 6, 2013

Santa Spoiler Alert!

Oops, forgot about the Santa scene- not for little believers! Otherwise a favorite from the 80's!
Adult Written bywonder dove April 30, 2013

Fun flick for the youngsters!

I loved this movie as a kid! I think it's the perfect kiddy horror for 9+ children to enjoy if they want to watch something scary, but not over the top. Really fun flick about a sweet and furry "pet" Mogwai named Gizmo that is given to a young guy named Billy as a gift, but it's not just any pet, it comes with a set of rules that must be obeyed or else. When one of them gets wet or is fed after a certain time, it multiplies into many evil gremlins that do nothing but destory anything they come in contact with. Billy and his girlfriend Kate must try to end them once and for all, before the town is ruled by them. It's super fun with a lot of good action and humor. Language is not bad, fairly mild. Sexual content has some flirting. Some humorous drinking and smoking by the gremlins. Violence It may be a bit frightening for younger viewers but I think ages 9 and up is fine.
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written byLeighj July 15, 2010

Great "Starter" horror for kids 9 and up.

This was a great movie. I just showed my kids this movie. My 14yo enjoyed it however my 9yo was a bit freaked out much like I am when watching an intense horror film. The violence is not too bad and the language is not something you may want repeated but is still not too bad. The villains are the ones involved in the bad behavior so they are anti-role models.
Adult Written byLondon Kid December 27, 2009
A Bit Strong For Kids , The Part when one of the gremlines poped inside the microave creeped me !!!
Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byleashguy June 26, 2009

Depends on the kid.

This movie does have a fair amount of violence. I remember watching this with my sister when we were young and she was really disturbed by it and had to sleep in my parents room for a week. I think she was eleven or twelve at the time but I loved it. It has some minor sexual nuances and innuendo but nothing too serious. It is said that a man died in a chimmney and was left there to rot for about a week until they noticed the "smell". I would say about 10+ You should know your kids before you let them see it.
Adult Written byG3 April 9, 2008

A good and funny/scary movie

Educator and Parent Written bychrisd4 March 3, 2016
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byaustin_mom October 25, 2015

surprising level of violence

I found this title from a list of "great Amazon streaming videos" and unfortunately didn't read through the entire review. Don't let the stars and age rating deter you from reading beyond the brief synopsis to the full description and parent reviews on ANY movie here. Had I done that I would have known that this is really a horror movie aimed at tweens and there is a full-on to-the-death war going on between the humans and the gremlins from the moment they appear. In popular mythology, gremlins are mischievous, not deadly. Not so in this movie. Not sure at what age it will feel appropriate. Also, my kids were looking at me uncomfortably with every swear word, which was quite frequent.
Parent Written bylonghorn75 September 21, 2015

10 is too young for this PG-13 classic

After reading the reviews posted previously, I watched about 3/4's of Gremlins with my 7 and 10 year old. Big mistake. They ended up sleeping in our bed. While I think this is a great movie to watch at the right age, dealing with some smart (and funny) references to consumerism, xenophobia and many old movie cliches, the reality is that there are too many scenes of pure menace for younger children. The scene in which the mother destroys three gremlins in her kitchen in pretty gruesome ways may cause nightmares for some time to come. I think the age 10 rating this site gives is overly generous. My advice? Screen it on your own first and make the call. You probably haven't seen it since 1984 and don't remember how mean those sticky creatures are.