All parent member reviews for Gulliver's Travels

Parent of a 7 year old Written byshakesmcgillicutty January 2, 2011

Very Funny! Not for kids under 12

This movie is way better than the original, much funnier and very clever. As an adult I liked it very much and found myself laughing out loud. However, Gulliver's Travel is for the 12+ crowd. I brought my 7 yr old son and found myself wishing I hadn't.. Although I'm sure he didn't learn anything new, I cringed several times at what he was hearing. The humor was a bit crass, with language such as, "I'm a big lame ass", "It blows", "Wanna shoot some poos, go for some brews?", "Hey sexy", "Stone cold fox" and "I find you incredibly sexy". There's also a boat named "Ship Happens." In one scene the princess asks her fiancee what he likes about her and he points to her breasts. When Gulliver falls on the ground, he lands on an unfortunate Lilliputian. It's apparent that the little man goes inside Gulliver's bottom (gross!). There's also a scene where Gulliver puts out a fire by urinating on a building and several people. Overall, I liked the movie for me and would have no problem taking my 12 year old niece, but NOT my 7 yr old.
Adult Written bySuez February 12, 2011

I was absolutely disappointed in this movie. I took 2, 9 year old girls and an 8 year old. I quickly checked here to see what the suggested age was and the language factor and then went out the door. I could handle my kids hearing "lame ass" one time but the same lame phrase several times? It was ridiculous. Plus there was usage of God several times in the ending song and Hell. The urination was disturbing, but not half as disturbing as the excessive views of Jack Blacks backside and rolls. Commonsense reviews said nothing of excessive skin being shown. It was disgusting and inappropriate. I should have walked out of the theater with my group! Still asking myself why I didn't. I wouldn't be surprised if my girls had nightmares from the nastiness of the movie. Did I mention the derogatory remarks about women?
Parent of a 10 year old Written byejkdmom December 29, 2010

Stretching the boundaries of PG

This was thisclose to being a PG-13 in my opinion. Serious product placement, humor that was inappropriate, and the only "smart" person was a villian. A waste of money to see in 3-D. On a positive note, my 10 year old and his friend thought it was great.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bysdimig December 29, 2010

I did not like this movie at all. Gulliver is a loser who has no drive and wastes his time playing video games, etc. He tells a lot of big lies. He, when he is giant, urinates all over people to put out a fire, which I think is so inappropriate for young children to see. The queen has on a dress that nearly completely shows her breasts at all times. There are some lame jokes only adolescent boys would like. I will never buy this movie and wish I had known how inappropriate it was.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bySandlot812 December 30, 2010

Just one scene of concern for a PG rating

My ten year old liked it. There is one scene I thought was inappropriate for the PG rating where the main character drops his pants and pees on a castle to put out a fire. You see the pants drop to the floor and see the pee drench the characters. If you are ok with potty humor, then go for it.
Parent Written byLizSutton May 20, 2011

I do not encourage your young kids to watch it. The language used on this movie is outrageous. The scene where Jack Black is potting and make comments about it is also disgusting.
Parent of a 2, 4, and 5 year old Written byLiberalMommy May 18, 2011

Maybe 8 and up?

I REALLY liked this movie. What I didn't like is that it is marked "Family" in Redbox, which to me, should indicate appropriateness for the WHOLE family. While you can explain to a 10 year old that they shouldn't use the word "lame-ass", my five year old, had she not been distracted by pudding, would be repeating it at kindergarten. If he had just said it once, that would be one thing, and a five year old wouldn't likely notice. But it was repeated like 10 times within 2 minutes!
Adult Written byurface222 June 5, 2011

good, violent

There is a scene where a woman punches a man in the face.
Parent of a 6, 9, and 12 year old Written byoakhillsdrive March 4, 2011

Jack being stereo typical Jack.

Even at $1.25 a ticket, I was so disappointed in this movie. Instead of being something I'd want my family to eventually own on DVD, it ended being something I wish I could take a "Magic Eraser" to, to scrub out of their heads. The "A" word repeated over and over again in the same scene didn't help. The fact that they had him drop his pants and urinate on the castle to put out a fire left my thoroughly disgusted. Even my kids left the movie talking about how silly it was. But given Jack's movies of the past I don't know what I was expecting. I was hoping for "Kung Fu Panda" -Jack Black and end up with "Shallow Hal" Jack
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8 year old Written byAmyBMom May 16, 2011

Liked it for even younger kids with the exception of the "lame ass" talk

Funny, not scary. Didn't like to use of "lame ass" several times, but otherwise I didn't see anything I was worried about my 6 and 8 year old seeing.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byvelder April 20, 2011

Parent of a 10 year old Written byhickchick March 24, 2011

My 10 year old son said " it was wicked!" it was fun for the whole family.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bykerim January 22, 2011

Why in the world did the movie makers think it was appropriate to have him pee on the castle to save the king? I am sorry but I do not remember anything like this in the story. Gross humor ... Also the main actor is mis-cast IMO. Just lame as a movie. Save your $ and find something else to do with your kids.
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written bybethanystardust June 26, 2011

Not a 'PG' movie, in my mind

The use of "lame ass" is totally inappropriate for a PG movie, especially in the way it is used here. It's not just an offhand comment, it's an actual conversation regarding the translation of the term (which they are trying to convince a Lilliputian is a positive saying) using the phrase over and over again. This would have been easily changed to "lame-o" (or similar) and gotten the same effect while being much less offensive. Not sure what I was expecting with this, but it certainly wasn't crude humor and language to be rampant. I'm disappointed that I let my 7 year old watch this, mostly because of the "lame ass" portion. Can't believe it was PG, based on what was PG when I was a kid!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byheyhey234 December 24, 2010

Parent of a 8 year old Written byDLeeLee January 10, 2011

12 years old or olderfo Gulliver

I did not like the cursing in the movie or the scene where there is urination. I took my 8 year old to see the movie, but I NEVER would have if I had known about those two things.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bykate conn December 11, 2010

Adult Written byvery fun movie December 10, 2011

good movie for 12 and up

there is a lot of ads like coca-cola and stuff, also there is words like stupid, idiot, fat.... gulliver is a very good role motel at the and where he is humiliated and comes back to say sorry....
Adult Written byshino13 November 29, 2011

sweet!

good movie but language and violence is a problem
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byent_mom November 12, 2011

A kid's review (age 7)

It's a really good movie, but he (Gulliver) lies a lot. He learns that lying doesn't get what you really want. Kids may think it's really fun, but there's a few kinda gross parts. Nothing really that scary.